What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#6]
Jan 17, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #872 of 18,476
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Album: Deja Vu

/Where the debut was more of a piece with its ringing harmonies, this album presented disparity, sunny optimism giving way to dark corners. The absorption of Young into the group inserted a volatile missing element, a writer of oblique imagery, difficult to pin down, to counter the more earnest and direct aspects of his colleagues. They were able to take the approach from Buffalo Springfield (featuring two songs recorded by them, "Questions" and the unreleased "Down Down Down") and, ironically, post-Crosby Byrds in mixing folk and country roots, within both a pop and a rock framework, only to better chart position with catchier melodies, running the gamut from "Our House" to "Helpless." Young's presence, having gained underground cachet from the FM success of his Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere album, allowed the band to just about be all things to all people. The reclusivity of Bob Dylan, the break-up of The Beatles, and the darker aspects of contemporary Rolling Stones, the band's only real competitors as icons, amplified this effect enormously. The group's "Ohio" single hot on this album's heels sealed the deal, granting CSNY absolute leadership status by the Woodstock Nation, about to flood their ethos above ground into mainstream entertainment, lifestyles, and political movements. Sitting on the cusp as the 1960s gave way to the 1970s, Déjà Vu, with its mix of country and rock flavors, the confusion inherent in its multiple points of view arising from four distinct personalities, and its embedding of counterculture values, captured and summarized the spirit of the outgoing times as it simultaneously anticipated the sensibility that would quickly dominate the music and popular culture emanating from California into the the me decade.

Stills estimates that the album took somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 hours of studio time to record; this figure may be exaggerated, however much the individual tracks display meticulous attention to detail.[1] Critical reaction to the album tends to be divided along generational lines, baby boomers rating it as one of the all-time greats, later cohorts less so. In retrospect, much of the disparagement that this album, and the band, received as being wildly overrated by later critics probably derived from a reactionary dismissal of the sixties in general, proof of its import as a cultural artifact.

In May of 1970, two months after this album was released, the group recorded Neil Young's quickly penned response to the Kent State shootings, "Ohio." That single, backed with Stephen Stills' "Find the Cost of Freedom," saw release in late June of the same year, making it to #14 on the Billboard Hot 100, even given its accusatory sentiment.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 148 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. The same year, the TV network VH1 named Déjà Vu the 61st greatest album of all time. The album ranked at #14 for the Top 100 Albums of 1970/ Wikipedia

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #873 of 18,476
Jambi - Tool
Album: 10'000 Days.

basshead.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #874 of 18,476
Kate Bush - A Coral Room

Jan 17, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #875 of 18,476
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Album: 4 Way Street

/Four Way Street is the third album by Crosby, Stills & Nash, their second as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, released in 1971, shipping as a gold record and peaking at #1 on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart. A document of their tour from the previous year, the live recordings presented were taken from shows at The Fillmore East, New York, June 2–June 7, 1970 The Chicago Auditorium, Chicago, July 5, 1970 and The Forum, Los Angeles, June 26–June 28, 1970.

The album contained material previously available in studio versions, from both the various affiliations and individual work of the four principals. Two songs each by Nash and Crosby had not been officially released by its writer at the time of the arrival of this album in the shops: "Chicago," soon to appear one month later on Nash's Songs for Beginners album, and "Right Between the Eyes;" "The Lee Shore" by Crosby, as well as his controversial ménage à trois "Triad" composition, recorded by Jefferson Airplane on their Crown of Creation album of 1968, and by The Byrds, but not released until 1997 as a bonus track on The Notorious Byrd Brothers reissue.

The expanded edition included four songs by each member as an acoustic solo vehicle. Young performed a trio of songs from his first two solo albums as a medley; Stills included "Black Queen" from his eponymous debut, a tune he would revisit many times in his career; Crosby added a version of the song "Laughing" from his debut; and Nash did "King Midas In Reverse," The Hollies single from 1967, his bid to have that band taken as a more serious entity in the pivotal year of flower power. Credited to Allan Clarke and Tony Hicks as well, in actuality Nash wrote "Midas" himself, the three Hollies having a pact to share publishing regardless of authorship similar to that of John Lennon and Paul McCartney while in The Beatles.[1]

At the time this album was recorded, inner tensions were rife between the members (their dressing-room fights immediately becoming the stuff of rock legend, even being referenced by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention in their 1971 LP Fillmore East - June 1971), and eventually caused CSNY to dissolve shortly after the recording of Four Way Street (and many months before its release); it is interesting to observe that the level of beauty evinced by this recording was born in the midst of such strife./ Wikipedia

A hauntingly good recording, beautiful~

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #877 of 18,476
4 Way Street really is a great album, the only thingI really listen to from CSNY

Right now I'm listening to Ellen Allien's album Berlinette, track "Abstract Pictures".

I am absolutely in love with her, I started with Turbo Dreams and then realized it only got better with Berlinette and Thrills. I have a minor dilemma in that she's going to be doing a DJ set the same night Bloc Party is doing a show. I don't know which one to go to! Bloc party is 2.5x more expensive, which is something to consider... what do you guys think?

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #880 of 18,476
The Beach Boys

Album: The Pet Sounds Sessions: A 40th Anniversary Collection

/Essentially a solo project for Brian Wilson, Pet Sounds was created after he had quit touring with the band in order to focus his attention on writing and recording. In it, he wove elaborate layers of beautiful "Beach Boys" harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unconventional instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, the theremin, and even dog whistles, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars.

The real catalyst for Pet Sounds was The Beatles' new LP Rubber Soul (The US version and not the UK version), which was released in December 1965. Brian later recalled his first impressions of the groundbreaking album:“I really wasn't quite ready for the unity. It felt like it all belonged together. Rubber Soul was a collection of songs ... that somehow went together like no album ever made before, and I was very impressed. I said, "That's it. I really am challenged to do a great album."

/MoreCowBell(SNL skit) Yea, saw Neil about '79 doing his grunge metal electric stageshow and he rocked it LOUD ;-}
[ can't type and jam Neil young at the same time... That's a good sign, for a barstool model ;-}]

/Sometimes the smaller sets can have a greater memory value if you are really into it btb103...To be honest, I'm not aware of either of your choices ;-} I'm an old school fart ;-}

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #881 of 18,476
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief - On VINYL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back