What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#5]
Jun 3, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #1,351 of 9,280
M8 by Solti and the CSO

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #1,352 of 9,280
Sportscenter...
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #1,356 of 9,280
Psychick Warriors ov Gaia - "Exit 23 (Long Drum Club Remix)" - Ov Biospheres & Sacred Grooves

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #1,357 of 9,280
"To Bring You Back" from my record of the half gone year ... http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180915

Finally got around to reading the Pitchfork review ... not bad. I agree that it is probably their best record so far. There are moments from their past that can't be overshadowed, like the opening beat leading into their best song "A Light So Dim", and the galloping honky-tonk piano driving "It's A Crime I Never Told You About the Diamonds In Your Eyes", the instruments seeming to gradually coalese out of the air for the beginning of "We Always Knew", with it's hypnotic bass and that little squawk thing that comes along occasionally, and keeps me waiting, and wanting to hear it more than the two or three times in the song, the simple beauty in the lyrics of "Why I Stay", I know we won’t ever learn, these things they’ll never change, this is why I stay, but this is why I must go, the continuing saga of "The Waiter" weaving its way through their career, the eerie backup vocals by Kazu Makino (Blonde Redhead) on the great "On Ships of Gold", so many things endear this band to me, but it does really all come together on this latest one. Easily their best band lineup with the guys from Album Leaf on bass and violin, and the drums sound great, and that haunting bowed saw, which is a signature of their sound, is back to bring on the night in songs like the great closer, "To Bring You Back". And the epic title track with its nervous background, sounding a little like it could've been the perfect result of a collaboration with their labelmates Calexico, has moved up in my mind to match any of their past glories, especially when Pall pleads, "So please forgive me, for this spell I am under", and then more urgently, "I lose myself, in this spell I am under". Yeah, good album
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #1,364 of 9,280
h33171xo5ff.jpg

Zorn/Patton/Dunn/Baron 616

Users who are viewing this thread

Back