What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#3?]
Sep 2, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #2,492 of 2,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"Banking On A Myth" - Andrew Bird

Ah, still probably my favorite album of this year. Have you had it long? Really grew on me big time after a few listens. Made a big post about it over at the steve hoffman site cause I just couldn't get "Fake Palindromes" out of my head, but not as many fans or interest as I thought there'd be. He definitely needs some better publicity. Still, better response than most of my posts over there
biggrin.gif

Last thing I was listening to earlier today was the latest from Richmond Fontaine called The Fitzgerald. Turning into a big favorite.

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #2,493 of 2,764
im listening to Pre-Ex-Girlfriend by Five Iron Frenzy.

I just recently discovered the band.
Boy there good!
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #2,497 of 2,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Ah, still probably my favorite album of this year. Have you had it long? Really grew on me big time after a few listens. Made a big post about it over at the steve hoffman site cause I just couldn't get "Fake Palindromes" out of my head, but not as many fans or interest as I thought there'd be. He definitely needs some better publicity. Still, better response than most of my posts over there
biggrin.gif

Last thing I was listening to earlier today was the latest from Richmond Fontaine called The Fitzgerald. Turning into a big favorite.

"Shaking Paper" - Cat Power

I have had it for about two weeks and I love it. I keep coming back to it again and again (as I do with The Black Heart Procession "2" and "Three.") You said it best, "Andrew Bird is my savior from the mundane;" "The lyrics are fun, but at the same time insightful...Sophisticated music...Think orchestrated Beatles, but as interpreted by some alt-country-cosmopolitan leaning Radiohead-like band playing with a fabulous guest violinist who likes to play with a bit of eclectic abandon on occasion." Davey, you have a gift when it comes to written description of aural experience. Great album!

PS Three Mile Pilot is on its way! When are you going to add a few more "mini-reviews?"

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #2,498 of 2,764
MDFMK - [MDFMK] - Gasoline

Sep 3, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #2,501 of 2,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"Shaking Paper" - Cat Power

I have had it for about two weeks and I love it. I keep coming back to it again and again (as I do with The Black Heart Procession "2" and "Three.") You said it best, "Andrew Bird is my savior from the mundane;" "The lyrics are fun, but at the same time insightful...Sophisticated music...Think orchestrated Beatles, but as interpreted by some alt-country-cosmopolitan leaning Radiohead-like band playing with a fabulous guest violinist who likes to play with a bit of eclectic abandon on occasion." Davey, you have a gift when it comes to written description of aural experience. Great album!

PS Three Mile Pilot is on its way! When are you going to add a few more "mini-reviews?

Love "Shaking Paper". Dave Grohl realy did some nice drumming on a few songs on that one, including that song. The National - "Karen" playing for me right now from their latest, Alligator.

Let me know what you think of the Three Mile Pilot. I waited a long time to find a used copy of the Geffen version, which adds 3 songs and drops one from the original indie release on Headhunter. Apparently the story goes that they put out this album on the cheap back in 93 and then Geffen caught wind of them and signed them up and they remastered the album and added some really good songs, in fact one of them is my favorite, and reissued it in 1995 for a short while until dropping them. So now all that's available is the original Headhunter release, which I imagine is what you're getting. I had the Geffen version on my notify list at Djangos and finally got an email that I responded to fast enough to score it, and they were having a good sale too so it was only about $5 or $6. Anyway, if you like the music let me know and I'll rip you a copy of the Geffen version (picture below) and send it to you and you can compare them and report back. This one sounds pretty nice. Great bass but not all punched up. Still really have to crank the volume which is the way I like it. A little bit like that mid 90s version of Girls Against Boys. If you don't know them and like this heavy bass driven rock, check out Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby or House of GVSB, a couple of my 90s favorites for sure. They both really rock the house, with the later House of GVSB a bit more funky. I do need to add a review for at least one of the GVSB albums to my site. A buddy and I made a joint compilation for Girls Against Boys a few years back that we called TheKindaMzkYouLike, with him doing the early tracks and me doing the late ones, and it turned out a lot of fun. Sent out a bunch of copies and turned most of people who got them into fans. Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby seems like it should be high on any best of the 90s list, but I don't usually see it. I don't know if they did a better album than this. I used to like House of GVSB better, but this one is just relentless from the opening "In Like Flynn" (one of the best album openers of all time) to the end. So come down to my level. I can't talk to you. It's like you're in like Flynn........Still love that funk on House of GVSB, but this is the one I use most to clear the cobwebs out of my head. Bulletproof Cupid....Everybody wanna live that sexy ride
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, haven't added much to my site for awhile except some older reviews. You probably know that most of them are just grabbed from posts I make here or over at Rave Recs, and I haven't been posting that much lately. What do you wanna hear about? I do have a few reviews saved off that I haven't formatted and added to the site yet. Or do you like surprizes?
smily_headphones1.gif

67500.jpg

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #2,502 of 2,764
"Sherpa" - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Davey,
I'll definitely let you know what I think of Three Mile Pilot. The album sounds like it's one that I will like. You are correct, I ordered the Headhunter release. I wish that the Geffen version was still available. Girls Against Boys sounds interesting. With regard to your reviews I definitely like surprises. I have had several pleasant surprises already. I don't want to mess with a good thing...
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #2,505 of 2,764
Poe - Could've Gone Mad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back