What are you doing to ensure the safety of your files?
Feb 23, 2007 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
I'm curious as to what other head-fi users are doing to ensure the saftey of their files. It takes a ton of time and effort to get alarge collection ripped just right, and it would be horrible to loose everything in some sort of hardware failure.

I'm thinking 3x 500GB drives in raid 5 would do the trick. This would give me plenty of storage for rips of all my cds as well as redundancy if one disk should fail.

The other option I'm playing with is simply keeping an offsite backup on a portable drive. This might actually be better as far as insuring that a backup is available should the unexpected happen.

So what are you guys doing?

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 76
hands_of_prayer.jpg

ok, but seriously, i think i'm safe enough keeping all of my original CDs and having everything in lossless on my computer/external HD.

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other option I'm playing with is simply keeping an offsite backup on a portable drive.

This is the best solution... except that you can't update (or restore!) your backup without compromising it so, ideally, you'd want two such backup drives.

EDIT: "best" as in better than RAID (RAID != backup)

As for myself, I've been foolish lately and I don't do much to preserve my personal files. Although I've got a few drives at home with fresh backups, the last off-site backup I did is way too old now. I don't know what to do with myself... maybe I ask someone to hold me responsible for own data.
Anyway, when it comes to backups music is the least of my worries as I could always re-rip, re-purchase or re-download that.

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 76
I have my library and all my files in a 300GB Buffalo network storage solution (NAS), which allows me to connect it to my Buffalo Wireless router with tomato firmware, dual band high gain directional antenna with QOS enabled. This, allows me to access all my music from anywhere in my house and sometimes remotely. No wireless device can take my full bandwidth because of the QOS configuration. As a backup, I turn on another external 300 GB hdd and sync from the Buffalo to this last one. This solution served me very well from the time that was implemented to now.

TURBO

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 76
I have a music file server that runs raid 5 with a single hot spare; for backup purposes of important files I use a 750gb drive in a external case stored offsite. With internet connections improving nearly every day I may go the route TURBO did and put the offsite drive in a NAS box for remote syncing; sounds handy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #12 of 76
to my knowledge, i've already surpassed 150 gigs.

it's such a pain to back them up to CD's every other month.
but that's what i've been doing.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to my knowledge, i've already surpassed 150 gigs.

it's such a pain to back them up to CD's every other month.
but that's what i've been doing.

I stop doing that years ago and replaced it with multiple HD disks.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 76
I just back up to an external 0.5TB FireWire drive. Nothing fancy at all...

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #15 of 76
I'm obviously not doing enough. I just ruined about 1000 FLAC files and I'm about 1/3 done reripping them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back