What are you currently reading?
Jul 28, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #17 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Writer At War - Vasily Grossman

I like your sig.. The Sage of Baltimore definitely had a handle on how things work..

Don't misunderestimate the Deciderer though..
icon10.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your sig.. The Sage of Baltimore definitely had a handle on how things work..

Don't misunderestimate the Deciderer though..
icon10.gif

Deciderizing about terrrr and nucular (new-cue-lar) weapons ain't for the faint of heart or those sissy-fied gooder grammar speakers!
lambda.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 91
Several weeks ago, I finished Niven & Pournelle's "The Mote in God's Eye," at the urging of a friend. He gave me his very tattered paperback copy. A few nights ago, he called unexpectedly, and among other things we discussed, he told me that it had a sequel, "The Gripping Hand." I had seen that, and thought the title was stupid, and the cover illustration was tacky. I just didn't know it was the sequel. Well, just today, I went by the local used bookstore and found two nice copies in hardback, one for ten and one for six. I took the six buck copy, and it is a first edition. TMIGE was a Church + Imperium thing, very much like Dune, why some of the characters seemed like they had just stepped out of the Dune universe.

Dreck! The Proton 301 powered itself up again from someone's CB chatter. Irritating. Pop! then blah, blah, blah...
blink.gif
plainface.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

Laz

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta read "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" and "Tuesdays with Morrie" for school. Has anybody read these? Are they any good?

Tuesdays with Morrie is your typical chicken-soup sob story that packages its fortune-cookie platitudes as "the greatest lessons in life". Understandably, as such it is very highly praised in some circles. I don't recommend it.

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #22 of 91
'Writing Television Sitcom' by Evan Smith

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 91
Just finished Glenn Gould: The Ecstacy and Tragedy of Genius. Not recommended. I get the feeling that the author and former friend of Goulds, Peter Ostwald, never got over the fact that Glenn just severed ties with him. It's not that the book is inflammatory, it just has a very negative tone overall. I'm also not a fan that Ostwald took it upon himself to somewhat "diagnose" him posthumously.

I am just starting "Digital Fortress". The only Dan Brown book I haven't yet read.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #25 of 91
I've got several books I'm working on, but at the moments the most active ones are:

The Bible
Left Behind Series (going to finish up Tribulation Force tonight, Nicolae next)
"Positively False" by Floyd Landis
"It's Not About The Bike" by Lance Armstrong

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #26 of 91
I am reading Harry Potter: Book 4 - Goblet of Fire, again. I'll read all books again before I read Book 7, or see the new movie, Order of the Phoenix.

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #27 of 91
Right now I'm on the second book on Tad Williams' Otherland series- excellent stuff.
I'm also in the midst of Freakonomics by Stephen Levitts, which I'm reading for school.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tuesdays with Morrie is your typical chicken-soup sob story that packages its fortune-cookie platitudes as "the greatest lessons in life". Understandably, as such it is very highly praised in some circles. I don't recommend it.

I had to read that last year. I wouldn't recommend it either, but it's less than 100 pgs...some of my friends had to read Crime and Punishment.
blink.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #30 of 91
Im on Haruki Murakami kick right now...just finished Norweigan Wood and Wind-Up Bird Chronicles. Both HIGHLY recommended. Just started Kafka on the Shore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back