What are you currently reading?
Jul 27, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 91
SM Stirling's "Draka" novels. Very well thought out alternate history (actually have *appendices*) that starts with the premise "what is the absolute worst thing that could happen in history" and runs with it.

The diversion point is the end of the American revolution when the Hessians and many of the loyalists emigrate to South Africa and found what ends up as the Domination of the Draka, named for that ruthless freebooter Sir Francis Drake.

Truly nasty villains who yet have their own code of honor to which they hold very tightly.

Not a pleasant read and absolutely not for the weak stomached. But fascinating nonetheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Domination

Quote:

Stirling's use of the Draka as point-of-view characters has led to accusations that he has some sympathy with them (for example, in his entry in The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction), to his dismay. He describes the Draka series as dystopias based on "suppos[ing that] everything had turned out as badly as possible, these last few centuries."[1] The title page of his non-Draka novel Conquistador has the quotation "There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is 'idiot'."

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 91
I am reading this thread!
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The World is Flat from Thomas L. Friedman.

Very interesting book about globalization.

Not to get political, but in some circles six months is known as a "Friedman Unit" since Friedman has said we will be "turning the corner" in Iraq in six months so many times.

And been proven wrong every time.

I would take anything Friedman says with a dump truck or two of salt.

He definitely filters everything he writes through his own political viewpoint, a viewpoint with which I happen to vehemently disagree.

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plarzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently finished Storm Front, a Harry Dresden novel that was suggested by a friend of mine.

I need to go pick up the next book in the series, it was a great story.

I love the Dresden Files. Great characters and the storyline gets better as we learn about Harry and his family.
wink.gif

I made the mistake of buying one book at a time and ended up going back to BN every week. You might as well pick up the whole series at once.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back