What are the TOTL closed backs?
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 36
Could you compare the Thekk directly to the LCD4, or did you not own them at the same time?
I did not own them at the same Time, but from memory the Thekk sounded cleaner and more crisp with more open soundstage. LCD4 has it beat in the sub bass (as it does virtually every headphone) but I would give the Thekk the edge in the rest of the frequencies For my preferences. LCD4 just always sounded like it had a bit of a veil over it to me.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 36
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #19 of 36
wondering if you've had a chance to compare against the zmf vc?
I enjoyed the VC for the limited time I had with it. I definitely would take it over the Stellia. It is a more detailed headphone than the Gjallarhorn JM for sure. If I were in your shoes it would be the top of any of the headphone that you mentioned.

Verite Closed...Focal Stellia...........Sony MDR-ZR1.....................................................................................................................Sennheiser HD820

But knowing what I know about Kennerton, I had to have the Rognir. I believe it will be the best of the bunch, but that is based on a belief without hearing or without any reviews or impressions and it is a hard ask to buy this headphone without the experience I have had with Kennerton and I understand that.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 36
It’s a flagship but probably falls short of TOTL... Beyer T5p.

Never heard it but the Spirit Torino Radiante Closed Back.

May 3, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 36
The AFC2 Noire is the best closed headphone money can buy at this moment in my opinion. This is taking into account
- portability
- sound isolation
- comfort
- build quality

The OG AFC 2 was definitely not my first pick when it came to sound, but with the modification they did with the AFC 2 Noire, it is an improvement up to the point I am cool with it. Especially for $999.

For people who only intend to use closed headphones inside the house when portability is not important, your closed headphone ranking will obviously look different and headphones like the Focal Stellia and Z1R will end up higher. And ofcourse, if you are able to get a good seal with the Sennheiser HD 820 (I know nobody who is able to get a good seal with these headphones, everybody that I know personally that has tried the Sennheiser HD 820 said it was crap also), the HD 820 can end up higher on your ranking.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 36
The best three closed-backs for me are...

- Dynamic: Focal Stellia. The Radiance isn't far behind, but it's far, far better value for money. Hence, I have one.
- Planar: DCA Aeon 2 Noire. I have one as well.
- Portable: Audio Technica ATH-WP900. I have this one too.

May 6, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #25 of 36
For me it’s the Stellia over the VCs then quite a gap to anything below but probably the 9200 next then Celestee.

The stellias are with an inch of the utopia detail and speed-wise, but the openness, clarity and focus in the mids for me is better, voices sound more natural and with the good partnering kit you can hear more tonal detail in the way you can with good speaker set ups that ive not heard with other headphones.

The VCs are fantastic too and I initially thought I preferred them Over the focals as they have an apparently huge stage and big visceral bass but ultimately I found the better the partnering kit they couldn’t stay with stellias, sounding slightly sluggish and more W-shaped with mids ever so slightly recessed. Bigger but less controlled bass and they reach their limits in terms resolution much sooner.

The stellias aren’t perfect, they take a while to like, the bass is slightly elevated but a bit too linear and lacks the shape or bass texture of the utopia or other good open backs… one of the few physical restrictions of the closed back form focal have not been able to overcome. Their tuning is slightly forward which again might not be everyone’s cup of tea but this is they key for me.

That said I have recently been enjoying t+a pse which are awesome in so many ways, but despite being an OB when I switch back to the stellia’s they sound closed and muddled in the mids by comparison.

I have also been giving the 9200s another go and while they’re definitely better than I initially gave the credit to be, they’re some way back technically and tonally a bit sweet with slightly over extended treble for my preferences.

For me it’s a straight race between VCs and stellias with the focals winning based on my preferences. The only caveat would be I haven’t heard the new range topping hifi man CBs.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #26 of 36
No one added the Stealths here yet? Well throwing it In for the big splash it’s making just now, and the fact that NOWHERE ON THE WEB is a comparison between VC, Utopia/Stellia, Rognir and new Stealth.

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #27 of 36
No one added the Stealths here yet? Well throwing it In for the big splash it’s making just now, and the fact that NOWHERE ON THE WEB is a comparison between VC, Utopia/Stellia, Rognir and new Stealth.
It should be in consideration.

The best closed back is the Rognir with the R10P (as much as I hate to give it shine) behind it.

VC can't be left out even though it may not quite compete to the technicality of Rognir, it has a very divine sound presentation.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 36
It should be in consideration.

The best closed back is the Rognir with the R10P (as much as I hate to give it shine) behind it.

VC can't be left out even though it may not quite compete to the technicality of Rognir, it has a very divine sound presentation.
I just picked up a Radiante 1706 and am loving it. It is more specialized, but I prefer it for my music library over the Stellia. I loved the Stellia, but the Radiante 1706 is a remarkable headphone. It is not a reference tuning, but that is just fine by me. I listen to mostly live music these days and have found my perfect partner. Coupled with my Code X on the open back side, I have an amazing 1-2.

If you like love music, I can't recommend the Radiante enough. What a cool headphone!

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 36
I just picked up a Radiante 1706 and am loving it. It is more specialized, but I prefer it for my music library over the Stellia. I loved the Stellia, but the Radiante 1706 is a remarkable headphone. It is not a reference tuning, but that is just fine by me. I listen to mostly live music these days and have found my perfect partner. Coupled with my Code X on the open back side, I have an amazing 1-2.

If you like love music, I can't recommend the Radiante enough. What a cool headphone!
I have the entire Spirit line coming in. I extremely dislike their whole ethos but it is what it is.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #30 of 36
I have the entire Spirit line coming in. I extremely dislike their whole ethos but it is what it is.
Coming in? What don’t you like about their ethos? I don’t know anything about them. But, really enjoy the Radiante 1706.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back