what are the pros and cons of CD player vs HDD player?
Dec 21, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 21
CON for HDD player: When it goes bad, you gotta reload it. Takes a LLLOOONNNNGGGG time with 40gb player, and your are ripping from CD's with USB 1.1.

Dec 21, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 21
fredpb, his looking at either iMP or iHP, so there's no USB 1.0 problem

sorry i dont have any real-life picture of gold verson, but here's my black one if your intersted
ihp120.jpg

Dec 21, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 21
i realise the pictures of the ihp at the iriver international website is the gold version, but its not gold. its brownish. look somewhat more classy than the black version.

500-1(3).jpg

no idea why the picture doesnt show up, so you'll have to copy and past it

Dec 22, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 21
That IRiver looks awesome! I LOVE that remote.

I am still learning my Zen. As usually, the supplied PC software is a bit funky. Learning to live with it.

My year old computer has USB 1.1. I built it myself, and did not think to check for USB 2.0 for my motherboard. I built the machine for gaming. It only has a 3 PCI slot MB. One PCI for soundcard, one for video capture, and the one adjacent the AGP is taken up by the AGP fan (FX5900 card). I should just stick another MB in there, but am too cheap, and too lazy.

Dec 22, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #21 of 21
put your hd-based player through the hand-search section. You wouldn't take a laptop through a metal detector, would you?

I've heard less than stellar things about the slimx550, i'd go for a used 150 or 250 (or rio volt sp 250).

To me the only way a cd based player really makes sense is if you've got another cd-based player elsewhere, say in the car.

otherwise, it is a PITA to get new tunes on disc, and with only 700mb to work with, you can't just stick everything on a disc and go. So, factor a good 10-30 minutes selecting tracks per disc, wheras with HD based players you can just toss the files on and go.

As for battery life being a pro in the HD players, my rio volt sp 250 gets around 16 hours of life, off of a rechargable battery that can be replaced by a pair of AA's. The slimx 550 can get 55 hours of life (!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back