what are the pros and cons of CD player vs HDD player?
Dec 20, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 21
I think the big differences are cost, and having to lug around a bunch of CDs or not. I guess form factor too. You're not going to fit a PCDP in your pocket.

Dec 20, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 21
CD player pros:
1. you can play CDs
biggrin.gif

2. you can carry your CD-R collection to play anytime you want
3. you don't have to transfer from computer when you want to listen to other music
4. price

CD player cons:
1. "only" 700 MB of music on one CD
2. skipping issues
3. size
4. lack of Ogg support (for now)

HD player pros:
1. o LOT of music (about 30 CDs worth of it) in one small box
2. recording option
3. battery life

HD player cons:
1. price
2. not possible to upgrade the HD (20 GB might not be enough for everyone)

Dec 20, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Thrasher

HD player cons:
1. price
2. not possible to upgrade the HD (20 GB might not be enough for everyone)

20 GB wasn't enough for me, so I upgraded the drive in my Nomad Zen to 60GB to buy some time. Scratch reason #2. It's possible.

Dec 20, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 21
I think he meant its not possible to upgrade the iHP-120...

Dec 20, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
20 GB wasn't enough for me, so I upgraded the drive in my Nomad Zen to 60GB to buy some time. Scratch reason #2. It's possible.

Yeah, the original question was concerning the iHP-120.

Dec 20, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Thrasher
Yeah, the original question was concerning the iHP-120.

Then I can't really say. Except that to my knowledge they all use IDE notebook drives. Unless there is some proprietary software on the drive that is needed for use and is not downloadable, there's no reason a drive replacement wouldn't work. The main key would be to make sure that the size of the replacement drive was an exact match to fit the space.

Dec 20, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 21
Only the 'older' players and the Creative range use notebook drives. The iPod and the iHP use high-capacity 1.8" HDD's which are not yet available as end-user items from their respective manufacturers.

The main advantage of the iMP would be cost and that you can play CD's. The main advantage of the iHP would be everything else
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 21
another question

iHP 120

is battery replaceable? i mean if my batt dies, do i have to send the whole unit to iriver to change it? it doesn't suit me cause in Ireland we don't have such a good support like the US for example

Protection - how is 120's battery resistance? if i go through the metal detector in the airport, will it damage the player

power adaptor is that true it only works on 110v? how am i supposed to change it than?

are black and silver versions available only in the US? cause the only versions i was able to find was gray(not really gray but something like gray/yellow)

Dec 21, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 21
is battery replaceable? i mean if my batt dies, do i have to send the whole unit to iriver to change it? it doesn't suit me cause in Ireland we don't have such a good support like the US for example
this we dont know yet, battery might become adv for us in the future, but no words yet

Protection - how is 120's battery resistance? if i go through the metal detector in the airport, will it damage the player
does metal detector really mess up batteries? this i dont know, but i took my MZ-N10 through countless metal detectors and nothing happened (N10 had li-ion bettery, iHP has li-ion poly)

power adaptor is that true it only works on 110v? how am i supposed to change it than?
my US verson iHP came with a 110-240 AC adaptor, if other country model dosent come with this adaptor, you can just find any AC adaptor that has 5v output and fits on the player

are black and silver versions available only in the US? cause the only versions i was able to find was gray(not really gray but something like gray/yellow)
iHP-100's silver worldwide, iHP-120's black in U.S. and Japan, Gold everywhere else

Dec 21, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 21
imp550: i say its stronger because its amge of magneisum, but i could be wrong. size is not a con because the thing is no wider than a cd. ogg support is comming very soon. you can let other people use it because they only have cd.

ihp120: you can back your all the artwork you did for your life time, so if you accidently format the second harddrive you use to backup the files while you're installing windows to the master harddrive, you still have the arts in backup..... well it happened to me, and i was going to use some of it as part of my final project and summit them when i sign up for college. dammit, those photos just cant be remade.

Dec 21, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 21
D'OH!

sorry i meant

how is 120's HARD DRIVE resistance? if i go through the metal detector in the airport, will it damage the player

i was afraid if i write my mp3 collection go for a trip, and bam my hard drive will get erased, or magnetized, and i'm left without music!

that's a big pro on cd player's side

Quote:

iHP-120's black in U.S. and Japan, Gold everywhere else

damn!!!

i don't like gold color! i wanted a black or silver version
frown.gif

anyone knows a website with silver or black version that ships to Ireland?

Dec 21, 2003 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 21
btw, if anyone owns a golder version can you please post some pictures of it? i'm especially interested in the remote

those pictures on the net are staged pictures(to make it look nice), i'm interested how it looks like normally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back