What are the primary components of an earphone + computer setup?
Jan 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by freedomflyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, (this is so bad, all the questions...I'm just trying to dig in for a couple hours so I can have a base to ask more questions and serach out more answer) my brother owns a Dell XPS m1530 laptop that has an HDMI-out and seems to have quite the decent sound card, it is a good gaming rig. Would there be a noticeable difference if I plugged my earphones into his computer, compared to my $500 HP laptop with a stock sound card? It should affect the sound, because the amp/dac is of higher quality, but if I am correct this will NOT affect the "background noise"/"buzzing" coming from the computer because that has to do with CD/HDD/Power problems.
But the actual QUALITY of the output sound is dependent on what MAIN factors of the dac/amp? The algorithms are probably the same across the board, so quality build components are what matter most?

Ick, I feel kind of guilty asking all of these questions, I'll stop soon --- after I figure out the meaning of life and also the missing link...good?

Unless the sound card has a dedicated premium headphone amplifier (some do, most don't), the headphone output of sound cards are all fairly the same. The power output of a computer sound card just isn't enough for quality headphones. Going back to the FM radio example a sound card output would be like the edge of reception, thin and poor dynamics. Interference from the computer is the #1 reason people use external sound equipment when using computers as sources.

Differences between DAC/amp are the dac chips and opamps. Algorithms are actually different usually. Most are proprietary when dealing with purpose built items like external DAC/amps.

Questions are fine! Don't stop asking til you know what you want to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 44
I guess it comes down to what is a "weak" signal - I always thought it was an "un-loud" signal. How can a signal be weaker or stronger? If a singer is singing, how could you tell the difference between a weak and a strong signal besides loudness?
Does this have anything to do with actually driving the headphone? As it requires more power to drive can headphones than IEM's? I thought THAT was amplification.

I'm going to go ahead and order the Super.Fi's and give them a whirl. Maybe I could try out a local store's DAC's and Amps before I make a decision on those. I read lots of reviews on the Super.Fi's and they seemed like the right pair for me, they've gotten good reviews and if I am not mistaken (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong), I shouldn't have to re-buy a new pair of earphones for higher quality for quite a while, because they seem like pretty top-end earphones.

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the sound card has a dedicated premium headphone amplifier (some do, most don't), the headphone output of sound cards are all fairly the same. The power output of a computer sound card just isn't enough for quality headphones. Going back to the FM radio example a sound card output would be like the edge of reception, thin and poor dynamics. Interference from the computer is the #1 reason people use external sound equipment when using computers as sources.

Differences between DAC/amp are the dac chips and opamps. Algorithms are actually different usually. Most are proprietary when dealing with purpose built items like external DAC/amps.

Questions are fine! Don't stop asking til you know what you want to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

See, now you're acting like without an external DAC and Amp my sound is going to be wretched! Hehe, I just don't know what to believe! Hehe, but after talking to another guy I know, this is nothing....he is one of the big-wigs for a company called Wilson Audio - I don't know if you guys know anything about that company, but lets just say their speakers do NOT come cheap. I took a tour of their factory, it is the most insane thing I have ever seen...thats one of the reasons i am so interested.

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 44
Someone described it more or less like this.
Imagine the difference between being hit by a large truck doing 50km/h, compared to a bicycle doing 50km/h. Both traveling at the same speed, but still one have more power behind it.

Same goes for the sound of headphone being driven by a powerful dedicated amplifier, compared to one being driven by a built in amplifier. Same sound volume, but still a difference.
Its all about control!
smile.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 44
Okay, so it's more of a "hard to describe but noticeable" type of thing. I'll take your word for it that it's better. Hmm, it seems as though this conversation is coming to a close. I have made a quantum leap in my knowledge in just a few hours! Thank you so much! Any last comments might help before I go out into the wide world of Head-Fi. Hehe, no, I'm not dying

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 44
Jessica Simpson

Whitney Houston

I'll let you decide which voice is powerful and which isn't. As Kai said, it's all about control. One of the above maintains a powerful unwavering sound, the other is whispy and wavering. They are singing the same song, btw.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Okay, so it's more of a "hard to describe but noticeable" type of thing. I'll take your word for it that it's better. Hmm, it seems as though this conversation is coming to a close. I have made a quantum leap in my knowledge in just a few hours! Thank you so much! Any last comments might help before I go out into the wide world of Head-Fi. Hehe, no, I'm not dying

I think it's not hard to describe, but rather easy.
According to my recent hands on test with all kinds of headphone Amps, here are my conclusion. When a headphone is driven by a sound source with lower than needed power, ex. a 250ohm or 300ohm or even 600ohm headphone attached to a normal sound card (for normal 32ohm headphones):
1. Overall: the the volume is smaller, biggest difference is when you turn the volume turned to highest point, but the volume is still small.
2. High: less clear, muffled, sounds like the treble is turned down
3. Low: clear difference. Bass just couldn't come out, like listening to speakers hidden in the closet.
4. Mid: the difference is not as much as highs and lows, but still less clear then properly driven sounds

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #24 of 44
Thanks, audionew.
I think that is starting to make things a little more lucid to me. One question I have about all these setups in general is this: I see a lot of people, with, say an iBasso D2 Boa or something similar and they go from iPod/mp3 player headphone jack to iBasso. That doesn't make sense to me, as the iBasso is also a DAC, and its getting an analog signal in the first place, and so it doesn't do anything but amplify, correct?
With a portable rig like using a non-iPod mp3 player, is that what people do? Is just use it for its amplification? For me, I am going to invest into the iBasso D2 and use it for my laptop and my portable mp3 player as well.
Also, when I see these portable rigs, they all have very, very short wiring schems. Is this ONLY due to the fact that it is more aesthetically easy to manage or does it also boost performance?

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #25 of 44
Some amps have bass boost and other things, not sure about the iBasso line though.

Short cords are used just because you don't want to walk around with 10 feet of interconnect cord bundled in your pocket. No sonic gains.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #26 of 44
Why not get a sound card with builtin headphone amp? Such as Xonar Essence STX or HT Omega Claro Halo? It'll save you all the hassels of cables and things on your desktop...

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not get a sound card with builtin headphone amp? Such as Xonar Essence STX or HT Omega Claro Halo? It'll save you all the hassels of cables and things on your desktop...

Pretty sure he's using a laptop.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Probably because its hard to squeeze a PCI sound card into a laptop.
wink.gif

...and the fact that he want flexibility to use it with his friends PC, and such.

Quote:

compared to my $500 HP laptop with a stock sound card?

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #29 of 44
Yeah, KRMathis has it right. I don't need any serious home audio hookup because I'm gone pretty much all day. I am constantly using my laptop, a different computer at work each day, and other peoples computers and iPods. So the iBasso sounds like a good option that I can drag it around to different locations. So just to be clear if I use it with my laptop or work comp I'll use the USB in on the iBasso and when I use a generic mp3 player I'll use the 3.5mm in. And if I DONT use USB then the iBasso will only use it's ampifier and not dac?

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #30 of 44
I believe that is correct, but someone with iBasso experience would be able to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back