What are the most overpriced headphones?
Dec 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #61 of 97
In terms of quality - GS1000 and PS1000. For me their prices are outrageous.

I also find Orpheus (and probably R10 and Qualia) very overpriced. From purely technological point of view there is nothing that would justify such prices for a pair of headphones. However, I understand that these may have a collectible value.

On the other hand, I find T1, HD800, K1000 and high-end Stax prices relatively fair.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #63 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the most overpriced headphones in your opinion?
i'd say RS1's(not the "i" verison)
the GS1000 sounded 10 times better to me than the RS1 from a brief audition i had at a store.

LOL, scary. I almost tend to agree. Actually I do agree. I feel the difference between the SR-80 ($100) and RS1 ($700) is smaller than the difference between the RS1 and the GS1000 ($725 almost new sold with disgust by someone who didn't burn them in for 250+ hours).

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #64 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, scary. I almost tend to agree. Actually I do agree. I feel the difference between the SR-80 ($100) and RS1 ($700) is smaller than the difference between the RS1 and the GS1000 ($725 almost new sold with disgust by someone who didn't burn them in for 250+ hours).

Maybe a dud was being auditioned. Seems that Grado has some quality control issues? See this thread

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #66 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you know you are overreacting. You clearly felt like you were being singled out for no reason and I was simply explaining why I think you were. Thinking Post count and having been here longer than others entitles you to respect is just stupid, I am going to put it in my signature so I remember to demand some respect from some people on an internet forum when I hit the 700+ post, 3 year mark. Except when I do it, I will be joking.

It's called a guilty conscious. Why else would he jump to conclusions so fast. A member post a slight jab at him & he airs his dirty laundry.. Who is he trying to convince? Him or us..

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #67 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of quality - GS1000 and PS1000. For me their prices are outrageous.

I also find Orpheus (and probably R10 and Qualia) very overpriced. From purely technological point of view there is nothing that would justify such prices for a pair of headphones. However, I understand that these may have a collectible value.

On the other hand, I find T1, HD800, K1000 and high-end Stax prices relatively fair.

How do you know this?

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #68 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know this?

Well, first of all I think that the majority of hi-fi equipment is overpriced (from technological, sonic, esthetic or build-quality point of view).

Limited editions of many products are usually priced according to their uniqueness, not their objective qualities. Comparing to other electrostatic/dynamic headphones, no groundbreaking (in absolute terms) technologies/materials/solutions/etc. were used in the production of these headphones.

Moreover, I'm not sure (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I remember vaguely that R10 (or maybe Qualia?) were initially not that expensive as they are nowadays.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #70 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything over 500 dollars is overpriced. Except for the Audeze LCD2, which as far as I know, is made by hand in the USA

Bingo! We have a winner!

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #71 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I adore my D5000s, for their original retail price of 699 US dollar (in Europe even worse: 699 euro = 1000 US Dollar) I think they are extremely overpriced.
$499 is a fair price.

I disagree completely, for the sound quality they deliver I don't consider them overpriced one bit. Neither are the D2000, I can't say anything about the D7000 seeing as I haven't tried them, but I think I'd say the same about them ^^ Expensive isn't the same as overpriced imho.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #72 of 97
Again, the manufacturers will charge whatever the market is willing to bear : if audio has continued to sell in the midst of the worst recession since 1929, I think it will sell when the crisis is 'over'. In the relatively short time that I have been here, I have seen a couple of references to folk losing their jobs, but nothing like the 'bloodbath' that the media here in Oz tells us has happened in the US, Britain and Europe. As far as bucks-down college kids complaining about the high cost of their various toys, I expect that you will all have jobs and credit cards soon enough. Be careful what you wish for on both counts
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #73 of 97
I vote the Sony R-10, which at $5000+ is just crazy, though they are excellent headphones. I disagree though with the $500 comment, Stax Omega 2s are well worth it for $1400 or so second-hand, as they toast HD-800s for that price. Maybe what's over about them in terms of price is the cost of the gear required to realise their potential.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #74 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the folks paying $1,800 for a Sennheiser HD800 are also getting stung.

Reading thru the thread I came across something I really agree with, anyone paying $1800. for a pair of HD800s are getting stung, in that they are paying more than $400. over list price.
wink_face.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #75 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually both my hd650's and hd600's are made in Ireland.

So I got hit over the head with a foam stick; the same still stands as it costs a lot more to make them there than China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back