What are the most comfortable headphones for long listening sessions (8 hours+)
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chrisssj2

100+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine is eyeing the DT 990 PRO. Which is okay. But for pro-longed listening some say the ears are bit too tight, and the headband is a little bit rigid.

Can anyone recommend a good quality voicechat/gaming/movie headphone that can easily be used without complaint for very long listening sessions?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 5
To me the Hyland Audio Jupiter One, which I realize is pretty obscure. Very light on the head, not a lot of clamp force (but enough they don't just fall off), very deep, soft stock pads.

Second would be the Audio Technica ATH-R70X, though the pads could be deeper; if you have smallish ears they'd probably be fine, with larger ears you might need thicker aftermarket pads. They're very light and use Audio Technica's "wing" headband.

The Sennheiser HD-700 is also fairly comfortable, but not to the same degree as the Jupiter One or ATH-R70X, for me.

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Meze 99 Classics/Neo
Sennheiser 600/650/6XX/660s
DCA Aeon RT

I used all of them for months 8 hours during work and then some hours while playing games or watching stuff.
The Meze can get a little uncomfortable after 5-6 hours if not positioned right, but I didn't have major problems.
Depending on your head the Sennheiser might have too much clamp, but for me the pressure is about perfect.

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 5
I have been very happy with Bose QC25/35, able to listen to 8+ hours. With Apple Airpods Max it is only like 3-4 before my ears start to hurt. Also DCA Ether headphones are very comfortable, maybe 5 hours. But nothing beats Bose QC for my head.

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 5
A friend of mine is eyeing the DT 990 PRO. Which is okay. But for pro-longed listening some say the ears are bit too tight, and the headband is a little bit rigid.

Can anyone recommend a good quality voicechat/gaming/movie headphone that can easily be used without complaint for very long listening sessions?

If you are using a DT-990 for extended periods, I'd probably be more concerned about fatigue from its brightness in the higher frequencies. That can be remedied with an EQ though, if needed.

If the pads seem too tight and clampy, then just carefully stretch the metal headband out a bit to loosen them up some, so they are more comfortable. I did this with my DT-770's, and can wear them for hours and hardly notice them. And they are some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. And I have a fairly large head.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back