What are the IE8's like?
Jan 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 26
So which would be the best all-rounder type of headphone? I listen to rock, metal, pop/j-pop, house and drum and bass. I definitely love vocals and bass is nice, but not too much. What kind of tips are supplied with the IE8's? Are they foam ones (Which I prefer), or just plain old silicon?

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it so hard to read the threads ?
they come with foam and silicone

x2

The Phonak Audeo's are a steal for around $135, are great for all genres, have ample bass (with a good seal) and come with a set of Comply T-130s.

IE8s are great also, but your source will probably make a big difference, as these can be very close depending upon the source.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which would be the best all-rounder type of headphone? I listen to rock, metal, pop/j-pop, house and drum and bass. I definitely love vocals and bass is nice, but not too much. What kind of tips are supplied with the IE8's? Are they foam ones (Which I prefer), or just plain old silicon?

1. Vocals sound amazing with the IE8. So far, they are my absolute favourite for vocals.

2. I'm not a basshead, and I love the bass at the default setting. It doesn't sound overpowering to me because the midrange is so full that it provides a really nice balance.

3. Tons of tips. Hard foam tips, silicon tips, double-ridged thingibobs...

4. Try to read a few pages in some of the IE8 threads. I know there's a lot to work through - but you can search within a thread to whittle it down a bit.

My preference is to obsessively read every word of every post of every page of every thread that I'm interested in, but that's just me
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Wow, all those threads and aside from Davids review (which is done very well), there isn't much useful information... a lot of conflicting reports. Some call the IE8s dark, David's review gave the treble extension a perfect 10
confused_face_2.gif

And he's even waivering on whether or not he likes the W3 or IE8 better now after he did that review.... assuming the burn in is helping the IE8s out.

Phonak sounds like a good choice becuase it's cheap and comes close to holding it's own against those two from what it sounds like.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, all those threads and aside from Davids review (which is done very well), there isn't much useful information... a lot of conflicting reports. Some call the IE8s dark, David's review gave the treble extension a perfect 10
confused_face_2.gif

And he's even waivering on whether or not he likes the W3 or IE8 better.

Phonak sounds like a good choice becuase it's cheap and comes close to holding it's own against those two from what it sounds like.

Did you try the Ie8? Do you think ie8 are not good in treble?

I would like to buy the Westone 3 but in europe are really expensive and I could buy the Ie8 for half price of W3!

So I'm not sure if the W3 worth the 200€ more

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Vocals sound amazing with the IE8. So far, they are my absolute favourite for vocals.

2. I'm not a basshead, and I love the bass at the default setting. It doesn't sound overpowering to me because the midrange is so full that it provides a really nice balance.

3. Tons of tips. Hard foam tips, silicon tips, double-ridged thingibobs...

4. Try to read a few pages in some of the IE8 threads. I know there's a lot to work through - but you can search within a thread to whittle it down a bit.

My preference is to obsessively read every word of every post of every page of every thread that I'm interested in, but that's just me
biggrin.gif

Hey sooz
smily_headphones1.gif

How would you compare the IE8s to the TF10s?

I've got about 20 hours of comparison listening now after letting my IE8s burn in for 100 hours. I really like them both - I'm having trouble picking a favourite - many pros and cons for each....!

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to buy the Westone 3 but in europe are really expensive and I could buy the Ie8 for half price of W3!

No - I haven't heard the W3 or the IE8. So, I can't recommend what you should get based on sound, but from all the comparisons, review, etc. The IE8 seems to be the best of the lot and the W3 seem to be on par with the Phonaks which are much less expensive.

So, take my opinion with a grain of salt, but if I was in Europe, I wouldn't hesitate to get the IE8s.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey sooz
smily_headphones1.gif

How would you compare the IE8s to the TF10s?

I've got about 20 hours of comparison listening now after letting my IE8s burn in for 100 hours. I really like them both - I'm having trouble picking a favourite - many pros and cons for each....!

Hi Nick, I ended up preferring the IE8 overall. Are you constantly going back and forth between them to compare? I can't do that anymore since I sold the TF10 to fund my, umm... W3
ksc75smile.gif

Anyway, despite loving my Trips to death, I love my IE8 even more. I think the midrange is what does it for me, it's just so natural and open. Even the treble, which I whined about for a while (in comparison with the Trips), sounds great to me now. And the soundstage is just outrageous!!! I don't have any regrets about selling the Trips, I'm so enchanted (ooh, I like that word!), I'm going to say it again... enchanted with the IE8 that there's nothing I miss about the Trips. I bet if you didn't have yours to compare with anymore, you'd feel the same. Well, I think you would.

The one thing I know about myself, is that provided the replacement/upgrade earphones are really good, then it's quite easy to forget about what went before, especially when I stop comparing and just listen. I swear it's the first time in a long time, that I don't feel remotely curious about any other earphones, and I don't know whether to be scared or relieved
icon10.gif

Oh yeah, how loud do you listen? I used to love cranking up the Trips on occasions, and because I'd listen for 4 straight hours, I'd sometimes get a ringing in my ears after (like I used to get with the Shure E4) - but I can crank up the IE8 good and loud and suffer no after effects whatsoever. It's magic!

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or you can get the Phonaks for cheaper which to me are better then the W3's more detailed higher extension, as well as more lower extension. The bass on the W3's clouds the mids and the highs a bit to me like the Shure530's did when I had them. Took them back kept the Phonaks, anythingbutipod.com has a review on them, they won the Editors Choice, go take a peek at them....You might find them to your liking.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you can get the Phonaks for cheaper which to me are better then the W3's more detailed higher extension, as well as more lower extension. The bass on the W3's clouds the mids and the highs a bit to me like the Shure530's did when I had them. Took them back kept the Phonaks, anythingbutipod.com has a review on them, they won the Editors Choice, go take a peek at them....You might find them to your liking.

Where can I find Phonaks?

I didn't see it in any on-line stores that I checked!

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 26
Ah the smell of Phonaks, excuse me sound of Phonaks that's what I meant.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back