What are the hottest majors nowadays in north america?
Nov 18, 2004 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

frankcent

100+ Head-Fier
I will attend college or university next year, but I am still undecided about which major I should go with. I always think that the major I apply should match my interests or will help me get better jobs in the future.(less working and high sallary are also what I am looking for
tongue.gif
, but I dont think its possible. you get paid for what you contribute) I just wanna plan in advance. Since the conditions vary in different countries/regions, I am only asking for north america. (but there is a chance that I am going aboard. tell me about other country too if you would like. I would like to hear) I am interested in math, chemistry, computer, physics, bussiness, and engineering. in other words, I am good at those. I am kinda only interested in things that I am good at, or other things that are related to things I am good at, mostly. Of course, doctors and lawyers receive incredibly high sallary. but it is hard to become a doctor or a lawyer. so, I just wanna hear the opinions from you guys. any comments will be appreciated.
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 26
I'm working on a degree in network engineering, which may be pretty worthless at this point. I have a few friends in the tech industry who say there are no jobs right now, and an over abundance of qualified people for when a job does open up. I don't know where I'm going to go from here.
confused.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 26
Picking a job or major based on salary is stupid. Further, it is true that Drs/Lawyers have some of the higher salaries right now, but they definitely do not get away with few hours, as you seem to think--far more than the average job.

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Picking a job or major based on salary is stupid.

furthermore, not only are your "interests" broad.. i doubt you havent the most accurate idea of what they involve... just go to school.. take a few classes.. and youll inevitably come accross what you truly want to pursue

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 26
going to a liberal arts college or even a university you should understand that the goal is to give you a chance to explore the endless possibilities there are in the world.

there are people and resources at any and every college that are invaluable and provide insight and inspiration that you cannot possibly imagine unless you immerse yourself in it.

my advice is to take any and everything that slightly interests you.
you have your whole life to devote to making money.
there are only 4 years where you can really explore anything. perhaps you'll find something there that you never considered and are now passionate about.

i know an archeologist who went to college to be an engineer, now he travels the world and looks at fossils trying to explore the past.

you can make money doing anything. for me, i'd rather spend the majority of my career loving my job and living modestly than hating my job (75% of my life) and spending the other 25% on recreation.

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 26
They had a recent article about most desirable majors coming out of college -- the engineerings lead the way for the most part (electrical was #2, computer was around #5, civil, et al were up there too). Accounting was #1, computer science was third or fourth. Can't for the life of me find the article now that I'm looking though.

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 26
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/12/pf/c...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Top 10 according to cnn:

1)Accounting
2)Electrical Engineering
3)Mechanical Engineering
4)Business Admin/Management
5)Economics/Finance
6)Computer Science
7)Computer Engineering
8)Marketing
9)Chemical Engineering
10)Information Science/Systems

I'm an electrical and computer engineering major, but ultimately I think it comes down to what you want to do.

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 26
thanks. you guys. Money to me is not that important.(what i mean by less work and high sallary is that I would have more free time doing my own stuff that I enjoy more than working) if it is, I wont take my interests into consideration. I will think more about going for majors that match my interests.(Ive never thought to be a lawyer or a doctor, which is too boring to me.)

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 26
I'd llike to know more about what this degree is??? This is at an accredited univiersit?yIs it a 4 year degree? I never heard of that. Sounds interesting. I took the cisco career path at a technical school, i spent about 3 months on it. Only cisco training. The purpose was to just set u up to take all of the CCNP tests only.

I'm working on a double bachelors in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics.

I have no interest in ever working as a network engineer again, i recertified CCNP back in january.

I want to stick with develping software and math for now, worry later : ]

Nov 18, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
I'd llike to know more about what this degree is??? This is at an accredited univiersit?yIs it a 4 year degree? I never heard of that. Sounds interesting. I took the cisco career path at a technical school, i spent about 3 months on it. Only cisco training. The purpose was to just set u up to take all of the CCNP tests only. ]

At least at my school (UCSC) Network Engineering is a subset of the Computer Engineering program. The Computer Engineering major has a core set of classes that you take and you then specialize either in software engineering, hardware engineering or network engineering. Yes it is accredited. They also offer a Graduate degree that is specifcally in network engineering.

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 26
Frankcent, here's what I would do if I were you. Since your stated interests are not really compatible with being a doctor or lawyer (unless you wanted to get a B.A. in engineering and then become a patent lawyer or something like that), I would forget that. Go to school, take all kinds of different classes, talk to your career services department early and often, talk to professors, other students, etc.

Trying to decide what your major is going to be before you get to school (unless you really really have your heart set on something, in which case you wouldn't have written your first post), is a waste of your time and will only cause you headaches.

If you go to a decent school and get good grades you will end up with a good job if you try hard. I forget where it was, but I read a statistic on the number of people whose jobs do not relate to their major. I believe it was a majority.

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Frankcent, here's what I would do if I were you. Since your stated interests are not really compatible with being a doctor or lawyer (unless you wanted to get a B.A. in engineering and then become a patent lawyer or something like that), I would forget that. Go to school, take all kinds of different classes, talk to your career services department early and often, talk to professors, other students, etc.

Trying to decide what your major is going to be before you get to school (unless you really really have your heart set on something, in which case you wouldn't have written your first post), is a waste of your time and will only cause you headaches.

If you go to a decent school and get good grades you will end up with a good job if you try hard. I forget where it was, but I read a statistic on the number of people whose jobs do not relate to their major. I believe it was a majority.

That's about the same advice I would give. You can take general requirements your first year if your worried about wasting time. Most of the interesting courses however don't start till junior year though. They make sure everyone has the same background information before going in-depth.

And have fun in college. It's a great experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back