What are the fiver most important musical experiences of your life?
Jul 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 30
In chronological order:

1) First time I went to a cathedral and they were singing mass in Latin. I felt overwhelmed and frightened (more like a good terrifying sensation).

2) First time I picked up a bass guitar and later on performed my first and only gig at the age of 14.

3) Summer 07, when I heard Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto on an anime. Went ahead and purchased a Rachmaninov essential 2cd set, including the whole 2nd Piano Concerto.

4) First time I heard Mahler's music. First movement of the 9th symphony. I was weeping. Ever since then Mahler has become the force in my musical collection.

5) Discovering Miles Davis. Need I say more? Well, a bit. From the moment I played Kind of Blue I was swept with peace. No thinking, no worries. What greatness! Probably the second musical force in my life.

Honorable mentioning.
-First classical concert in the Walt Disney Hall-Jansons/Royal Concertogebouw performing Mahler's 5th.

-2001-discovering Tool

-2005-Japanase visual rock/pop rock: love those melodies

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 30
Kraftwerk Live London 1990 - It was nice seeing them having loved their music since i first saw them on TV in 1975 I remember standing in front of the TV set mesmorized by the electronic loveliness

My first Walkman - I never went anywhere without it.

Rick James - Fire and Desire & Oh what a Night for Love. - 1st Time I cried whilst Listening to Music.

Jeff Lorber live 2003 He signed my CD and i have to say he was the most humble musician i have spoke to , and probably the most talented.

Magic Touch by Rose Royce. It reminds me of when i was young and less cynical. A Great Soul Tune.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 30
1) Blink 182-Whats My Age Again?: First rock song I ever heard.

2) Bad Religion: Kyoto Now- Got me into punk rock.

3) Guns 'N Roses-Appetite for Destruction: Got me exploring old rock.

4) Nas-Illmatic-Got me into hip-hop.

5) My Bloody Valentine-Loveless-Album that convinced me that really weird stuff can sound good. This is about when I started experimenting with alot of different genres.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 30
1) Hearing Peter Gabriel's brand new first solo album for the first time when it premiered in early 1977 at midnight on CHUM FM. I was laying in bed in the dark with my long-time highschool sweetheart, home from University for the weekend, sleeping soundly beside me and looking stunningly beautiful and angelic as ususal. I can still vividly recall the strange feeling of euphoria that came upon me when through headphones, I heard the first bars of Solsbury Hill start up. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, at that moment, everything in my life seemed absolutely perfect. I've never experienced anything like it since. A few months later, after a total of 6 1/2 years together, she attended a Dan Hill concert with someone at university and dumped me soon after.

2) Seeing David Bowie live for the first time in 1974. It was a crossover/hybrid show from Spiders From Mars to Diamond Dogs. It was one of the first big name concerts I'd seen and I was mesmerized by the theatrics as well as Bowie's stage presence and performance.

3) Seeing Supertramp for the first time live in the mid 70's. It was the first time I'd heard a live concert that sounded as accurate and clear as a studio recording .... including stereo effects.

4) Seeing Alice Cooper's "Welcome To My Nightmare" concert. Again, the theatrics were incredible. He'd played at my high school years earlier when his first album came out, and he was theatrical then, but WTMN had the budget and musicianship that made his earlier stuff seem amateurish.

5) Passing on a personal invite from Vladimir Horowitz to watch him play to a sold-out crowd at Massey Hall ... from the side of the stage. I was too young, stupid, and un-sofisticated to know who he was at the time. Instead, during his show, I sat outside Massey Hall in the limo ( I was his driver ) and listened to rock on the car radio.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #20 of 30
My roommate in college had a stereo system in the living room that was a hand me down from his old neighbor. I thought my HD555's sounded better, and that was the only "hi-fi" experience I had ever had up to the point, so I'm sure the stereo was nothing special -- but we listened to London Calling one evening, and I remember when Death or Glory came on -- the part at the end when they're talking about traveling over mountains and traveling over seas seriously felt like it went on for hours. It was pure awesome....I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #21 of 30
mmmmm.

1. Getting hooked into portable music in the late 80's (aiwa/sanyo walkmans etc)

2.Being force-fed Pink floyd on my driving lessons. (now a comlete nut on the stuff)

3)listening to Equinox on my Dads 80's-matsui CD player

4) discovering electronic music with autechre

5) discovering head-fi

5a) Worshoping at the altar of hi-fidelity

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 30
1.seeing Rage Against the Machine Coachella Fes. 2007
2.Discovering all headphones/MP3 players don't sound the same
3.Getting my first real pair of cans, Grado SR60s
4.Discovering what I want to do as a career, live sound engineer.
5.Finding out about head-fi.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #23 of 30
This might be a bit pathetic and long-winded but I can trace the evolution of my musical tastes to a couple very specific events.

1. At age 12 I moved from Colorado Springs to New Orleans. Living here has made great, live jazz very accessible and over the course of my adolescence I developed a strong appreciation for our local music. You hear it on the street, jazz clubs like Snug Harbor (my favorite place in town) and festivals like the French Quarter Festival and Jazz Fest which I now attend religiously.

2. While my interest in Jazz and local music has been percolating for some time, I believe it was cemented only recently, May 5, 2006. It was the second Friday of the first post-Katrina New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Circumstances being what they were this was an important Jazz Fest both emotionally and financially. The closing act for the day in “Economy Hall” (a smaller stage for more traditional jazz bands) was Bob French & the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band. They had a nice set going and towards then end the featured a few vocalists. One lady whose name I regret I don’t remember did a rendition of “Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans,” certainly not a new or rare song. This time though it was really special and quite moving to me and a lot of us in the audience. I knew good and well what it meant to miss New Orleans having spent three months away after the storm and hearing that song, that day at that event was the first and only time in my life music has brought tears to my eyes.

3. When I was young I had an interest in video game music, which was kind of lame in retrospect although there are a few gems like the Orchestral Game Concert series. One soundtrack album was Chrono Trigger: The Brink of Time, a jazzy remix album of the popular Super Nintendo game. The first track is an “Acid Jazz Remix” of the title theme. I liked the sound and I’d never even heard the term “acid jazz” so I went about learning what it meant and listening to music of the sub-genre. I liked what I heard and I found out the song that introduced me to it was not acid jazz.

4. Around the time I was 16 my interests shifted to soundtracks of movies and television as you can often get a nice, varied sampling. Two tracks on the first Six Feet Under soundtrack (from a show I hadn’t yet watched) led me to a lot of the music I like today. One was Mis Dos Pequenas by Orlando Cachaito Lopez of the Buena Vista Social Club. It introduced me to the unadulterated sound of Cuban music that I now quite enjoy. Another track is Pure & Easy by The Dining Rooms which taught me that there is some electronic music that doesn’t suck. I listen to a good deal of downtempo/lounge/electronic music now like Thievery Corporation, The Cinematic Orchestra and Mocean Worker.

5. Only recently have I had the slightest clue about listening to my music with some half-decent equipment. Several months ago I was looking at a lengthy thread with pictures of people’s computer workstations and a lot of them featured “real” speakers, amps and receivers. I asked myself why I was listening to my music with a pathetic Logitech 5.1 set when music is stereo. I discovered Head-Fi, sold the Logitech’s on Craigslist and I’ve been enjoying myself a great deal since.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a bit pathetic and long-winded but I can trace the evolution of my musical tastes to a couple very specific events.

1. At age 12 I moved from Colorado Springs to New Orleans. Living here has made great, live jazz very accessible and over the course of my adolescence I developed a strong appreciation for our local music. You hear it on the street, jazz clubs like Snug Harbor (my favorite place in town) and festivals like the French Quarter Festival and Jazz Fest which I now attend religiously.

2. While my interest in Jazz and local music has been percolating for some time, I believe it was cemented only recently, May 5, 2006. It was the second Friday of the first post-Katrina New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Circumstances being what they were this was an important Jazz Fest both emotionally and financially. The closing act for the day in “Economy Hall” (a smaller stage for more traditional jazz bands) was Bob French & the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band. They had a nice set going and towards then end the featured a few vocalists. One lady whose name I regret I don’t remember did a rendition of “Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans,” certainly not a new or rare song. This time though it was really special and quite moving to me and a lot of us in the audience. I knew good and well what it meant to miss New Orleans having spent three months away after the storm and hearing that song, that day at that event was the first and only time in my life music has brought tears to my eyes.

3. When I was young I had an interest in video game music, which was kind of lame in retrospect although there are a few gems like the Orchestral Game Concert series. One soundtrack album was Chrono Trigger: The Brink of Time, a jazzy remix album of the popular Super Nintendo game. The first track is an “Acid Jazz Remix” of the title theme. I liked the sound and I’d never even heard the term “acid jazz” so I went about learning what it meant and listening to music of the sub-genre. I liked what I heard and I found out the song that introduced me to it was not acid jazz.

4. Around the time I was 16 my interests shifted to soundtracks of movies and television as you can often get a nice, varied sampling. Two tracks on the first Six Feet Under soundtrack (from a show I hadn’t yet watched) led me to a lot of the music I like today. One was Mis Dos Pequenas by Orlando Cachaito Lopez of the Buena Vista Social Club. It introduced me to the unadulterated sound of Cuban music that I now quite enjoy. Another track is Pure & Easy by The Dining Rooms which taught me that there is some electronic music that doesn’t suck. I listen to a good deal of downtempo/lounge/electronic music now like Thievery Corporation, The Cinematic Orchestra and Mocean Worker.

5. Only recently have I had the slightest clue about listening to my music with some half-decent equipment. Several months ago I was looking at a lengthy thread with pictures of people’s computer workstations and a lot of them featured “real” speakers, amps and receivers. I asked myself why I was listening to my music with a pathetic Logitech 5.1 set when music is stereo. I discovered Head-Fi, sold the Logitech’s on Craigslist and I’ve been enjoying myself a great deal since.

Great post and great taste. I have a lot of music that can bring tears to my eyes, usually because they triggers memories or something in my own life. A song can be ordinary, but unique to someone for different reasons. Over the years though, I have never let music fidelity get in the way of themusic I like. I have a subconscious dislike of high fidelity music, as a result music that are too well produced don't get as much playback. My Magnepan speakers don't seem to get too much action. Yasunori's CT soundtrack though has sentimental value to me, Corridors of Time is probably my favorite song of all time.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Hearing Peter Gabriel's brand new first solo album for the first time when it premiered in early 1977 at midnight on CHUM FM. I was laying in bed in the dark with my long-time highschool sweetheart, home from University for the weekend, sleeping soundly beside me and looking stunningly beautiful and angelic as ususal. I can still vividly recall the strange feeling of euphoria that came upon me when through headphones, I heard the first bars of Solsbury Hill start up. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, at that moment, everything in my life seemed absolutely perfect. I've never experienced anything like it since. A few months later, after a total of 6 1/2 years together, she attended a Dan Hill concert with someone at university and dumped me soon after.

2) Seeing David Bowie live for the first time in 1974. It was a crossover/hybrid show from Spiders From Mars to Diamond Dogs. It was one of the first big name concerts I'd seen and I was mesmerized by the theatrics as well as Bowie's stage presence and performance.

3) Seeing Supertramp for the first time live in the mid 70's. It was the first time I'd heard a live concert that sounded as accurate and clear as a studio recording .... including stereo effects.

4) Seeing Alice Cooper's "Welcome To My Nightmare" concert. Again, the theatrics were incredible. He'd played at my high school years earlier when his first album came out, and he was theatrical then, but WTMN had the budget and musicianship that made his earlier stuff seem amateurish.

5) Passing on a personal invite from Vladimir Horowitz to watch him play to a sold-out crowd at Massey Hall ... from the side of the stage. I was too young, stupid, and un-sofisticated to know who he was at the time. Instead, during his show, I sat outside Massey Hall in the limo ( I was his driver ) and listened to rock on the car radio.

Indeed, tight band. Crime of the Century is in my top three favorite cds. That tour was epic and a treasured memory.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #26 of 30
1971, Telegram Sam by T.Rex. My first single, aged 11, closely followed by Metal Guru, various Slade singles (Take me Bak Ome, Mama Weer all Crazee Now), Horse with No Name, America, Jean Genie, David Bowie etc. Started an interest in music that’s stayed with me ever since.

1975, The Who – New Bingley Hall, Stafford. My first gig, just before my 15th birthday. Quite an experience, hitch hiking to the venue, queuing for what seemed like hours, gorging on hot dogs and burgers and then the music. Mind blowing stuff. I wasn’t to know that that would be the one time I saw the original line up.

1977, Never Mind The Bollox, Here’s the Sex Pistols. Hearing that for the first time is something I’ll never forget. Jeez, I hadn’t realised just how stale my taste in music had become. Talk about a musical kick up the @rse. Even though I don’t play it much now, it really was a life changing piece of music.

1980, Reading. My first festival. Rode down on my Big Bad Motor Scooter (Yamaha 250...) and camped out for 3 days. Highlight was the then unfashionable Slade playing a set with the whole crowd singing along. After they’d finished, we all shouted for more. What do you want us to play, they asked? We all started singing Merry Christmas Everybody at the top of our voices. In the glorious August Bank Holiday sunshine too.

2006 – present, my first “proper” band. I joined 3 years ago after a break of some 20 years. Since then, we’ve played all sorts of gigs in pubs and clubs as well as several weddings. There’s something about the buzz of playing live, getting a sceptical, disinterested audience up and dancing and shouting for an encore over the course of 2 sets which is hard to describe to people who’ve not done it. It doesn’t even really matter what you play, though in truth, I love most of our set list. The crowd reaction to your music is what it’s all about.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #27 of 30
1) Hearing stereo for the first time (late 60s or early 70s)
2) First live rock concert (Bruce Springsteen, late 70s)
3) Hearing CD for the first time (early 80s-blew all previous sources away)
4) Discovering New Age music (late 80s)
5) My first high end headphones (AD700s about a year ago. I have since upgraded to AD900s)

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #28 of 30
seeing all your great experiences i feel so much envy they are so amazing compared to mine´s
1) First time i heard rhapsody symphony of enchanted lands ( that put me into this)
2) the time that i realize that i can´t play any instrument haha
frown.gif
so i say that if i can play progressive guitar like petrucci, satriani or vai I must hear all the progressive music i can.
3) first time i´ve heard People Passing By of pain of salvation Entropia (their best and really unique album) my favorite song off all times
4) first time i heard In The Court Of The Crimson King of king crimson great progressive album
5) first time i heard Wish You Were Here of Pink Floyd great great great album i even like same or even more than Dark Side Of The Moon.
plus) the time that i lost the concert of Dream Theater here in Venezuela they just come once every 5 years so that was very very sad

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #29 of 30
1. BloodSugarSexMagik. I was 12 when this album was released and little did I know that up until that point all I had ever really listened to was crap. Bon Jovi, Young MC, Paula Abdul...it was all crap. That album changed my life for the better and 18 years later it's still my favourite.

2. Rage Against the Machine at Verdun Auditorium in Montreal, 1996. What an awesome show! It was so hot that they turned the fire hoses on the crowd. Rage played everything from their S/T album and Evil Empire. There was nothing left for them to play when they went offstage so we left and had just gotten outside when they went into Bombtrack a second time. Amazing! I've seen shows in many cities but there is nothing like going to a show in Montreal; they're always electric.

3. 21st Century Digital Boy by Bad Religion. My first exposure to punk. It's been my favourite genre ever since.

4. Grado SR60's. My first real headphones. I bought them right around the time A Perfect Circle released Thirteenth Step. What an awesome combination. I fell asleep many nights listening to those two.

5. All the other great shows over the years.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #30 of 30
great thread idea

1.) age 16, buying and listening to Blood On the Tracks by Bob Dylan. the first CD I bought basically, started listenig to music very seriously after this. first night I listened twice in a row then a third time later and was blown away.

2.) age 16, friend JBH showed me The Mars Volta and pitchforkmedia.com. showed me how good 'alternative' type stuff can be and more than that the kind of enjoyment in listening and finding things first

3.) age 17, listening to Kosi Comes Around by DJ Koze with Etymotic ER4P in a van at night on the way to Death Valley. had never really gotten into the album before then but the headphones and setting were absolutely perfect. One of my favorite albums along with Blood On the Tracks to this day (DeLoused in the Comatorium is still great though not a favorite to be honest. also let me note I had a Mars Volta signature on here for a long time)

4.) age 16, Of Montreal concert in San Francisco at Great American Music Hall. first small concert I ever went to, learned how amazing a good band in a good venue can be. Go to a lot of concerts now, would estimate 70+ a year.

5.) age 20, My Bloody Valentine live at Roseland Ballroom September 23rd 2009. best concert I have ever been to. amazing. blew me away, blew away any expectations I had for the band.

would like to include the time at age 19 when I first enjoyed noise, Absolutego by Boris, but top 5 is top 5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back