What are the Dream Hip-Hop and Rap Headphones?
Nov 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maymur8

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, 

I just wanted the community's take on what the best (closed) headphones would be for rap and hip-hop

For the longest time I thought it would be the Ultrasone Edition 8's, which I own, but the more time I spend with them the more I question it...

The Edition 8's do everything well, they're smooth, clear, articulate, good bass quantity, great detail for a closed headphone, but they lack something as well... 

It's a little hard to explain, but they lack that little sparkle at the end (I don't mean treble to clarify, more metaphorical than literal) that makes the music magical....

Anyone out there find the "dream" headphones?

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 9
The best headphone for hip-hop will be the best headphone that exists.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 9
Well then what is the best headphone that exists?

And I actually think the best overall headphone, might not be the best hip-hop headphone...

The best overall would have to have the right bass and the right time, warmth when it needs it, different characteristics for different genres even songs at different times...
No headphone is that dynamic, or perfect as far as I know....

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 9
I like my TH900 a lot for hip hop, I've heard the ED8 and I prefer the TH for it overall. The base quality and quantity is superior for one, while the overall technicalities like imaging, soundstage etc are much improved.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Hey Saren, 

Would you describe the TH900's as slightly warm? and I'm guessing very natural in comparison to the ED8's?

And silverbox, good to know members of head fi still have a sense of humor

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 9
  Well then what is the best headphone that exists?

And I actually think the best overall headphone, might not be the best hip-hop headphone...

The best overall would have to have the right bass and the right time, warmth when it needs it, different characteristics for different genres even songs at different times...
No headphone is that dynamic, or perfect as far as I know....

Exactly, hip-hop at its core encompasses many genres so why not a headphone that does well with most if not all genres? Especially if you are to just listen to the beats. If not, anything sub 200 is more than enough.

The best is subjectively but I will go with Tyll's view http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-conclusions, and say the STAX SR-009 is the best headphone. Which I guess would be a dream headphone for now. 

The requirements for fidelity is not that big for hip-hop IMO unless rappers start doing all their music with actual bands such as the roots or a demand start for better musicianship on the beats instead of the crap that is out now.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey Saren, 

Would you describe the TH900's as slightly warm? and I'm guessing very natural in comparison to the ED8's?

And silverbox, good to know members of head fi still have a sense of humor

The th900 has a warmth yes, the bass is elevated compared to the mids somewhat, the bass is extremely powerful, but very clean planar like. More powerful in the sub bass and lower bass reaches than the ed8. It has been a year since I heard the ed8 so mid bass direct comparison is tough. The th900 has a mucvh larger soundstage, better imaging, separation and a smooth but slighty raised treble. Basically it is u shaped, but the mids are well articulated for being so. I would say it is a fun sound, but extremely articulate and non fatiguing. I like the th900 a lot for other genres as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back