What are the differences between the Beyerdynamic DT770 and Alessandro MS-1?
Jun 30, 2006 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ShaftedTwice

100+ Head-Fier
I have come down to these two cans and I am wondering how they compare to each other. I've heard both are great rock cans, and the MS-1 is open, the DT770 is closed. I just can't decide!

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 17
I find I can easily listen to open cans for much longer than closed, however that usually ends when someone turns the TV on
mad.gif

then out come the closed cans or ety's
etysmile.gif

open typically has a more natural, open and airy feel, while closed ones can be a bit clostrophoric and tight . . .

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 17
DT770 for rock? Where did you hear that? Since when did recessed mids and boomy, flabby un-controlled bass mix with rock?

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah, I think that I like the feel of open headphones better, I'm not really concerned about isolation. So you guys all think that the MS-1 would be better for rock/metal, what are some of the sound advantages one has over the other?

Jun 30, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
DT770's kick ass with a boot and MS1 just tickle your privates with a feather.

Ian

Never heard that one before
biggrin.gif
Any other suggestions?

Jul 1, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 17
Theyre both good at their own respective elements.
DT770 = bass, and its closed. Decent soundstage for a closed can. Comfey. Really fun drum can.

MS1 = more balanced, slightly more compressed soundstage. Guitars & vocals.

Get both.. DT770 when you want to hear mike portnoy, MS1 when you want to Hear john petrucci.

Garrett

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 17
A couple other good points about the MS-1:

No need to get that amp right away! MS-1 works great without one!!

Also, you can get the MS-1 with either the 1/4 or 1/8" plug.

And, you can go pad rolling all over the place!! MS-1 comes with Grado Comfies, but lots of folks like bowls or flats, or modded Senn 414s frontwards, backwards, with holes or without!

Change the comfort and performance levels to suit your own requirements!!

....and the 414s are bright YELLOW!!!

Jul 1, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 17
Yeah they are opposite ends of the spectrum. I like the beyer 990s myself vs the 770s for rock, so you might want to consider them too. A bit more balanced sound in my opinion than the 770s. Do a search, you might find some good info
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AA8
Yeah they are opposite ends of the spectrum. I like the beyer 990s myself vs the 770s for rock, so you might want to consider them too. A bit more balanced sound in my opinion than the 770s. Do a search, you might find some good info
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, being open seems like it would also give it an airy, open soundstage, etc. I am considering it myself as well.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back