What are the deepest inserting / best isolating truly wireless earphones?
Mar 12, 2020 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Head-Fier
I've not found one pair of truly wireless earphones that have good isolation. Admittedly with wired earphones I am used to Etymotics that have a deep insertion and the best isolation. I've tried the likes of Sony WF-1000XM3, Melomania 1, etc. In fact many of the truly wireless earphones rated by rtings.com as having the best isolation I've found to be absolutely useless no matter what tips I use (including third party tips like Comply) in different sizes. One of the things is that none of them insert very deeply and they just don't work for me.

Are there any truly wireless earphones that insert more deeply so that when coupled with something like a comply tip produce actually decent isolation?

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 6
The Yamaha EPH-100 were good for isolation. The deep insertion took some getting used to, just like Etymotics, but once I got past the painful stage I found them good for blocking out noise. Pretty bassy, if that's your thing. They're discontinued now but there are still some pairs on ebay by the looks of it. My pair just died, hence I'm back on head-fi looking for inspiration about what to get next!

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 6
The Yamaha EPH-100 were good for isolation. The deep insertion took some getting used to, just like Etymotics, but once I got past the painful stage I found them good for blocking out noise. Pretty bassy, if that's your thing. They're discontinued now but there are still some pairs on ebay by the looks of it. My pair just died, hence I'm back on head-fi looking for inspiration about what to get next!

Hmmm, I missed that EPH100 TWS. Shame, would have tried that one out! :relieved:

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Etymotic is class leading isolation. The only IEM comparison made online is a BA based CIEM.

Dynamic drivers require a vent in the shell for pressure release. Most true wireless are a single DD for power reasons. There’s not a lot of battery to go around.

If you could find an all BA design and triple flange tips, that would be the potential equal isolation approach.

Personally, I’m interested in the coming Bose ANC true wireless. They should isolate well and not have to tell your doctor where the earphones touched you afterwards:wink:

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Isolation and insertion are highly dependent on your ear shape as well. Try with different ear tips, you might be surprised.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Snugs have introduced custom tips for certain wireless brands using your mobile phone to capture the impressions if that's any use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back