What are the DAC specs of Fiio E7?
Jan 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Roller

Headphoneus Supremus
I've looked around the forums and could find exactly what the E7 can output. I'm looking into getting the E7+E9 combo, as it's supposed to be a rather nice upgrade from just a PA2V2, having a desktop amp when stationary, and a supposedly better portable amp with just the E7.

Since I already have a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ with RC4580 opamps, going to a PA2V2, from which I listen with my Allen & Heath XD-53, would replacing my DAC+amp with a E7+E9 be much of an improvement?

My doubt is what can E7 output as a DAC? Does it do 16bit or 24bit, 48 or 96KHz? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, and with my Audio 2 DJ, it outputs 24bit 96KHz, so I wouldn't really want to go to lower specs.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 21
Only 16bit/48KHz because of the limitation of its USB.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 21
Hum, that's a dealbreaker
confused_face.gif

I guess I'll be waiting for news on E11. What are your thoughts on that? And do you happen to know if E11 will overcome that USB limitation? I mean, 24bit/96KHz isn't so out of this world, specially since it can be supported driverless on both OS X and Vista/7.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 21
It would be great if E11 could dock on E9 slot
wink.gif
But even so, I'm not so into getting a new DAC right now as I'm pleased with my current one, but I sometimes have the feeling that despite all the good PA2V2 has done to my headphones, they could benefit with something more improved. And that's why a portable amp would fit the bill quite good.

But you're sure about the output of E7? It really doesn't do either 24bit or 96KHz?

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
It would be great if E11 could dock on E9 slot
wink.gif
But even so, I'm not so into getting a new DAC right now as I'm pleased with my current one, but I sometimes have the feeling that despite all the good PA2V2 has done to my headphones, they could benefit with something more improved. And that's why a portable amp would fit the bill quite good.

But you're sure about the output of E7? It really doesn't do either 24bit or 96KHz?

There would be no benefit to the E11 docking scenario. The E11 doesn't have a DAC. An E7/E11 combo would be interesting though.... possibly.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 21
*smacks himself*
redface.gif

How different would be E7+E9 compared to just E11? I know E11 is yet to be launched, but I'm asking based on the specs of each one.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Hum, that's a dealbreaker
confused_face.gif

I guess I'll be waiting for news on E11. What are your thoughts on that? And do you happen to know if E11 will overcome that USB limitation? I mean, 24bit/96KHz isn't so out of this world, specially since it can be supported driverless on both OS X and Vista/7.

First of all, nothing can run on computers driverlessly.

E11 is only a portable amp that amplifies the signal you feed into it. If the DAC outputs 16bit, E11 will spit out 16bit. If the DAC outputs 24bit then E11 will spit that out too. If most (if not all) of your music collection is only 44Khz, there is no real reason for you to have a HD DAC at all.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 21
My main source is a computer with foobar2000 and a NI Audio 2 DJ, as well as the occasional walk with a mp3 player. Audio 2 DJ outputs 24bits/96KHz, so I don't want to downgrade on that aspect.

I'd rather have a DAC that's more capable than the current audio library, but have the capability to playback higher resolution content. I try to get as good audio quality as possible, mp3 320k CBR, VBR V0 (when there's no other option), ogg, mpc and flac. Since a higher resolution DAC plays back 16bits easily, filling the remaining 8bits with zeros, I don't feel it's wrong in any way. Also, I've been having lower quality DACs for years, and they have been 24bits and at least 48KHz for quite some time.

My A&H XD-53, rebadged ATH-PRO700, are easy to drive, having only 36ohm but even easy to drive headphones improve with amping, at least that's the impression I have so far. What if I got the E9 only, pairing it with my Audio 2 DJ, and only used the PA2V2 outside? To tell the truth, for some reason I never was very into E7. I considered getting a E5 as my first amp, but reading too many reports on it degrading sound for certain headphones scared me, while PA2V2 had nothing but good reviews, even if it only went so far, as I'm starting to get that impression as well.

Does anyone have experience with using just E9? Most people seem to use E7+E9 combo, but I already have a DAC, and unless the synergy on that combo is something almost out of this world, I would save some money.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 21
Go for the E7/E9/ You can still use the E7 as a portable amp if you want, but you also get a solid DAC, and a fully fledged desktop amp for $200.

EDIT: I didn't realize you already had a DAC....

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 21
If Audio 2 DJ has a line out (not just headphone out), then pairing it with E9 would sound great.

Note your Audio 2 DJ is acts similar to what E7 does. Audio 2 DJ has a DAC and an amp, but of course it's not portable. However, you already have your PA2V2.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 21
I think I might hold on with my current gear, unless E11 comes out and ends up being a spectacular amp. If not, I'll wait some more time as I plan on getting a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900, and then I think E7+E9 might be fitting. It's just that I sometimes feel that there's something lacking on the sound that comes out of my headphones... *sigh*

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 21
Have you try pairing PA2V2 with your Audio 2 DJ through the line out? That should give you a sense what a good amp with a good DAC (if the DAC is good) should sound like.

And, I am not quit sure why you are looking at E11 I would think that it will be in the same tier as your PA2V2. Any improvement will be due to better synergy and/or personal preference.

Are you looking for a desktop solution or a portable amp? You already an external sound card and a portable amp. How much are you planning on spending on altogether?

If you are not satisfied with what comes out of your headphones through your external sound card plus PA2V2, then IMHO you are better off upgrading your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back