What are the Bit-depth, Sample Rate, and Analog Out settings for? (Xonar DS)
Feb 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tryagainplss

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just literally got my Xonar DS up and running 30 minutes ago; all I can say is "HOLY COW!"

God damn, you can REALLY hear the difference; I put up Coldplay and heard things I never have before. I am really happy with my purchase, even though the DS is quite a lowbie acquisition, I'm still proud of it (as well as my Superlux HD661).

Anyway, I was wonder what the Bit-depth, Sample Rate, and Analog Out settings are for? How do they affect sound quality? And what should I set them to for best results!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I'm sorry if I posted this on the wrong sub.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 3
I generally keep bit-depth at 24 bit and samping rate at 44,100Hz.

Bit-depth is only at 16 for regular music(probably games and movies too but I'm not sure), but it doesn't hurt setting it above. It's an easy conversion.

Sample rate is usually at 44,100 for everything except movies and those overkill high definition songs you can get from sites like HDTracks. Maybe some games too but I'm not sure. I find that when I set it above 44,100 it has aliasing problems playing 44,100 stuff(ringing along with the bass).

For both of them there is no need for material to go over 44.1kHz/16 bit, sound quality doesn't increase beyond that. More than 16 bit bit-depth gets you more than 96dB dynamic range(I've found most songs have <10dB, some classical can get up to 60dB), and a sample rate over 44.1kHz allows the reproduction of frequencies over 22kHz, which aren't audble by humans.

Not sure what you mean by analog out settings.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hey guys, I just literally got my Xonar DS up and running 30 minutes ago; all I can say is "HOLY COW!"
God damn, you can REALLY hear the difference; I put up Coldplay and heard things I never have before. I am really happy with my purchase, even though the DS is quite a lowbie acquisition, I'm still proud of it (as well as my Superlux HD661).
Anyway, I was wonder what the Bit-depth, Sample Rate, and Analog Out settings are for? How do they affect sound quality? And what should I set them to for best results!

The Xonar DS does not come with a headphone amplifier (but the HD661 do not really need "ampimg")
And I'm guessing the DS's line-out/headphone jack has a high impedance :frowning2:
Getting an external headphone amplifier with a low impedance (Ohm) might(?) improve the audio quality.
Something like the Fiio E6 ($28), which comes with a very low impedance, might give a little boost in over all sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back