What are the BEST 'phones for soundstage?
Apr 25, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Being paid on Friday gives me up to $500 to fulfill the quest of enlightenment, so - I'd like your opinions on good 'phones that have a rich sound (ideally with V6 quality bass)... are easily driven, and have a wonderous soundstage...

I'm with JML. To me, this is clearly a case for the W100. The only problem I see is that Duncan wants a headphone that is available locally, in the UK.

Apr 25, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #32 of 43
That new US dealer that carries the W100, Audio Cubes, might ship to the UK from Japan. Vincent Chan, at AT Singapore, might ship to the UK (why not ask? he ships to the US and Germany).

The ATH-W100 will run $345 from Audio Cubes (I did not look at shipping); the Singapore connection via Vincent Chan is pretty comparable. The transparency and soundstaging is superb, and the bass is wondrous. Plus they deliver much of their potential magic without having to have to buy an amp as well (but with the Corda or the EarMax Pro, they're in the top tier at that price, with few peers).

The F1 sells for $178 from Etronics. They are a unique phone, and incredibly light and comfortable. But I have not used them much since getting my W100. The midrange is nowhere near the W100, but they sound like nearfield speakers hanging outside your ear. The bass is dependent upon location -- there's a sweet spot you have to search for by moving them around. They're made with an impedance-matching network, but rated at 12 ohms, and they need plenty of voltage to drive them (9 to 12 volts works great). Reviews of these are mixed, ranging from delight to disgust. But because of the totally open design, much like the K1000, they're pretty amazing at reproducing certain kinds of recordings, such as live concerts. Many binaural recording fans love these cans.

Lou, I have not heard the 890s, but I've read the reviews and comments. Frankly, once you've heard the W100, anything cheaper seems silly. The only thing I want to hear, other than the super-expensive toys during the Headroom tour, are the Japan-only models of open AT cans.

Apr 25, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #33 of 43
JML
SIR: You truly are a man of great tast. I wish that I had some of your money for I am poor. Your response was very understandable and gave me more insight on these cans. I also think that your response was very polite and give you great respect for being a true gentelman. Its nice to read responses that are not in conflict with what an other member says even if he might be wrong. You set the standred for respon posting. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #34 of 43
Duncan,

All the recommendations you've received so far seem valid to me and you wouldn't go far wrong with any of them. I'd like to add a few comments for your stew.

Regarding the K1000: I'm one of those, thanks to kwkarth, who uses K1000s with a subwoofer. I find that they sound similar to upper mid-fi speakers and like such speakers, they do benefit from a conservatively applied SW. But they certainly don't require one to be enjoyable.

Rather than thinking of this as bad, I believe prospective buyers should consider it in a positive light. By simply adding a relatively cheap (about $150) SW, you have absolutely killer cans. I doubt anything, at any price, is significantly better than this combination.

Since you like PCDPs so much, perhaps you should consider the Ety ER-4Ps. The soundstaging isn't in the K1000's class, but it isn't bad. And they work extremely well from the headphone out of good portable equipment. I use mine with an EJ1000 (which I know you're familiar with) and an iPod and couldn't be more pleased.

If you were my brother and your circumstances permitted, I'd be pushing you toward the K1000s. Good luck.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 43
Lou, I wish I had the money you think I have! And if I did, my wife wouldn't let me spend it.

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
Do you mean the K1000s? The 501 is only 120ohms, and rated sensitivity of 94dB/mW. Headroom recommends their 4.5V TA to power it, which is half as much as the +/4.5v amps you make. I'm considering making these my next headphone purchase, so what's the real deal with them?

Trust me; these headphones need a lot more power than they let on. waaaaaay more.
Quote:

edit: Did some searching, and I did come across some people who put lots of power into their K501s. Is it really necessary?

Yes. Very much. Indeed so.

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 43
Hey guys...

Thanks for all the replies whilst I was at work
smily_headphones1.gif

Reading through, it looks like a show down between the K501 and the HP890... with the K501 being so cheap, i'd be tempted to also buy a 'home' SS amp (Creek OBH11SE?)

Would that be a good combo?... only 36 hours until I can go shopping
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Regarding the K1000s, the last place I saw them advertised in the UK was selling them for a whopping £646... which is over twice my budget... So, in all honesty, they are off of my list of 'phones to buy'

Thanks

Apr 26, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Buddha

Perhaps you had them on upside down Jeff...

tongue.gif

Actually, that would imply that I had them on inside out. I now have '"Philips" pressed in reverse on my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

Neruda,

Your profile shows "only" a JMT amp in your inventory. Are you using that with your 401/501's? If so what is so special or tweaked about your amp? If not, what are you using or what do you recommend?

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

Trust me; these headphones need a lot more power than they let on. waaaaaay more.

Listen, the whole story is that they sound good with an amp like the Porta Corda, but they sound AWESOME with an amp like the Max. They simply really strut their stuff if you give them enough power. They become a different headphone. The same is true of cans like the Sennheiser HD-600 as well. The sennys sound good with a modest amp, but they move into a different league when you put them on a really great amp.

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Reading through, it looks like a show down between the K501 and the HP890... with the K501 being so cheap, i'd be tempted to also buy a 'home' SS amp (Creek OBH11SE?)

For the money, this is a great combo.
Just make sure its the SE. The upgraded PS makes a big difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
it has bass that will roast your face. [/B]

I'll second that. The bass rocks and the ****ing soundstage stands head and shoulders above anything I've heard before, along with having "location of instrument(s)" down to a science. Most solid imaging I've ever heard. Beautiful.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back