What are the best IEM's for me
Nov 25, 2009 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dethredic

New Head-Fier
My budget is 100-120 Canadian (like 80-100 USD) lower is obviously better.

My JVC HA-FX66's are breaking down after about a year of use.
The main uses are commuting and working in louder environments.

Most of my music is at least 192kbits but most of it is 256 / 320. I listen to vocal trance / techno / pop / classic rock / rap. (pretty much everything I guess). I don't need a ton of bass, but I want to know its there.

My main concerns are comfort / sound isolation so I guess I should get some special tips. I don't want to have to replace them every couple weeks, but I don't mind washing them. I am comfortable with a deeper penetration, and I would guess I am a "small" if the silicone sleeves that came with my HA-FX66's are an accurate representation. The FAQ seems to state that more comfort usually means less isolations so if that is the case I would rate comfort over isolation.

So ya, if the sum of the IEM's and the tips are under $100/$120 that would be great.

EDIT: after looking the RE-0's seem good, but I can't seem to find how to browse tips on head direct.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 12
There are some phones I still want to hear at this price point, notably Turbines and the C710. As it stands, the RE1 + Fiio E5 amp is the best choice I know.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some phones I still want to hear at this price point, notably Turbines and the C710. As it stands, the RE1 + Fiio E5 amp is the best choice I know.

Why not RE0?

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by archimeaties /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not RE0?

GET THIS NOW.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dethredic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: after looking the RE-0's seem good, but I can't seem to find how to browse tips on head direct.

Browse tips? The RE0s come with some single-flange and bi-flange silicone tips. Comply T400s fit but change the sound a little. I used modified Shure Olives and was perfectly happy with the comfort and isolation. Pretty sure your AirCushion tips will fit as well.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 12
ok looks like I will go with the RE0s. As for tips I can't seem to find the Shure Olives on Head-Direct..

@|joker|
in Head-Direct I only see 3 categories:
Earphones
Amps
Cables and accessories

no tips section as far as I can see. Nothing under search either

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

ok looks like I will go with the RE0s. As for tips I can't seem to find the Shure Olives on Head-Direct..

@|joker|
in Head-Direct I only see 3 categories:
Earphones
Amps
Cables and accessories

no tips section as far as I can see. Nothing under search either

Head-Direct doesn't sell Shure Olives nor do they or have they ever had a tip section. Not sure where you read that they do.

There are several e-tailers that do carry Olives. Keep in mind that you'll have to modify them to fit on the RE0s.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Direct doesn't sell Shure Olives nor do they or have they ever had a tip section. Not sure where you read that they do.

There are several e-tailers that do carry Olives. Keep in mind that you'll have to modify them to fit on the RE0s.

sorry, I thought you implied head-direct sold them. Can you try to explain how much moding I will need to do/ how hard it is, or give me a link where I can read up on it?

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

sorry, I thought you implied head-direct sold them. Can you try to explain how much moding I will need to do/ how hard it is, or give me a link where I can read up on it?

It's not difficult but it takes 10-15 minutes. Mark described the process (about 2/3 of the way down the page) here. There are other methods but I used mark's.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Are you sure you need different tips? The included ones might just be perfect for you, it all depends on your ears and everybody has different ears. My advice would be to first try them with the included tips and then look for alternatives if you're not completely satisfied with those.

BTW, I'm no expert and I've not had a listen to the RE0s (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back