What are the best IEMs for Heavy Metal that aren't going to require a mortgage?
Jul 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pathogen666

New Head-Fier
I can't say I know very much about headphones, but I know good sound when I hear it.

Like most iPod users, I started with the crappy defaults. Bothered by the terrible ambient noise, uncomfortable fit, and low sound quality I bought a 15 dollar pair of IEMs that were from... Phillips I think.

While they probably suck compared to what I can get out there, they were a great improvement over the iPod defaults, and converted me on the spot to an IEM user.

They unfortunately didn't hold up to my rigorous usage schedule, which is pretty much 24/7.

So after a few more 15 dollar bad buys, I've decided to search for the best sound and most durable IEMs I can buy that wont murder my wallet.

I listen to a broad range of heavy metal, but mainly modern Scandinavia Melodic Death Metal and other European symphonic acts. As such, this music is not plagued by the bad recording quality that is found in 80s metal and br00tal black metal.

Just for example, some of the bands I listen to are: Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, Nightwish, Epica, Primal Fear, Draconian, Insomnium, Swallow The Sun, In Mourning, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Kalmah, Nevermore, WinterSun.

I am a double bass drum addict and demand my headphones have the proper amount of bass to make your organs rumble. But I also don't want the mids and trebles to be drowned out. This isnt technical death that is defined my blast beats; I listen to music that has soaring melodies, complicated r[size=12.0pt]hythms, and chilling ambient keyboards.[/size]

I've read up on this site and on others, looking for the best. From what I've heard Sennheiser IE8s are great for what I want.

But they also cost 400 dollars.

Id say my limit is 200. 

What I would like to do is get a quality pair of IEMs for every day use, AND a big bulky pair of over-ears for being at home, in the car, or on a plane.

With that in mind, I dont want to be spending hundreds of dollars on BOTH pairs.
500 for the two would be as high as I can afford.

So, any recommendations for IEMs that are at a reasonable price?
feel free to recommend over-ears as well, but please differentiate . I dont know much about this stuff.

Sorry for the epic post haha

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 16
From what others have said the IE8's sound a bit veiled compared to the Monster Copper's.  I think the Coppers are the best dynamic drivers for metal.  Perhaps check out the JVC FX700 and Panasonic HJE900.  Fischer DBA-02 perhaps but I think their Bass is shy of the Coppers and I think thats a big deal.  You don't want anything w/ treble roll off for metal IMO.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 16
By Monster Coppers, do you mean [size=small]"Monster Turbine Pro Copper Professional In-Ear Speakers"?[/size]

and forgive the newbie comment, but what do you mean by roll off? Does that mean that it peaks and fades out too soon?

Haha I really shouldn't be messing around in this stuff.

Also, for comparison, can you suggest some IEMs that are in the under 80$ range?

I just want to get a good feel for whats out there so I can make an informed purchase.

One of my big problems with IEMs is I get them tugged on a bit too often and the wiring gets screwed up. Durability is a huge buying point for me.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 16
roll off means the frequency drops out.

Yes, Monster Pro Coppers.  They do have the best lifetime warranty in the business it that matters.

As for <$80 phones for metal I can't really give you the best info on that.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 16
Just got a question that I thought didn't warrant a new thread, but could be sneaked into an existing thread: anyone here happen to know what in-ear-monitors Roy Khan uses? I can't even tell if it's a custom or not, since it seems smaller, and the cables don't go around the top of his ears. I have the DVD of One Cold Winter's Night but I can't get a clear screen capture.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 16
I`ve used the IE8`s for a long time before I lost them and found them to be fantastic. It`s better to spend top dollar on one solid pair of headphones than split your money to buy two inferior ones.

The IE8`s got plenty of bass and was really durable. If you adjust the EQ properly, the mids and terbles are still really solid.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 16
I have yet to have problems with my Hippo Shrooms or Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10s.

I listen to about 95% of the bands you listed, and the Shrooms do wonders with Iced Earth's Alive in Athens. I believe they are around $40, and I would say they are wonderful and certainly worth it, especially compared to the Triple.fis... They both sound very similar (to my ears) except one retails (normally) for about $40 vs. $200.

I re-read a few paragraphs and definitely think you would enjoy something like the Shrooms or Triple.fis. I really like hearing those particular ambiances, for instance, I fell asleep to Opeth's Morningrise CD with the Triple.fis and they really gave me a sense of the music surrounding me.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 16
TF10's have no problems with instrument seperation/vocals/clarity on Parkway Drive, Underoath, DevilDriver, Job For a Cowboy etc etc. and can be found on ebay for around $150 :wink:

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Klipsch custom 3 , great bang for your buck and play metal no problems

Forgot to mention luco I'm getting the Custom 3's =) FINALLY after all this time you've been telling me to get them ahha, though if the OP wants headphones as something he'd use day to day wouldnt the tf10s be better just because of the replaceable cables?

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 16
Great to hear you are at last getting the c3 @matto , and yes the tf10 might be a better choice for day to day use on the move with there more rugged cable but new the tf10 are usually twice the price of the custom 3 .
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
Quote:
Klipsch custom 3 , great bang for your buck and play metal no problems

Forgot to mention luco I'm getting the Custom 3's =) FINALLY after all this time you've been telling me to get them ahha, though if the OP wants headphones as something he'd use day to day wouldnt the tf10s be better just because of the replaceable cables?

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Yep, I'll be strictly using the custom 3s for home use, and maybe if I go to the library but that's about it, I don't want it to kink :frowning2: lol sorry to high jack the thread op but luco what have you done to make the custom 3s last longer? and also what tips are you using for them?

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 16
@ matto , 

When you get them massage out any kinks present from shipping , and just be careful not to let the cable get bent at sharp angles during use and storage and they will be fine. The point that is most vunrable to kinking is where the cable exits the jack ,so when on the move i place the player in my pocket upside down ,this prevents the cable from bending at a right angle at that point .

Depending on what music i listen to on them i use the shure flex silicon tips for a treble focused sound or large shure olives for a fat powerful bass sound .

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 16
I think the Klipsch Image S4 is gonna gonna be the best bang for your buck. I think they have something like a two year warranty, and at ~80 bucks, its not so expensive that you'll kill yourself if you lose them, but good enough to be a pretty decent, quality set of headphones.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #15 of 16
@bengewarmer the custom 3's are $99.... and im pretty sure they come with the warranty aswell, and not to mention they would most likely sound much better, haven't heard the C3's yet but have heard the S4's and must say not happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back