What are the best IEMs for $150-$200?
Dec 15, 2011 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
Had a bad run in with a pair of Brainwavz M4s and mp4nation's policy has dissuaded me from purchasing again. At any rate I need a new pair of IEMs and I figured I might as well go with something a bit more high end. I was looking at the Sennheiser IE8s but those are out of my price range and the talk about fakes has me worried too. I'm looking for something that's a bit balanced or maybe V-shaped

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 47
UE TF10 has a very nice sounding V-shaped signature but its still balanced at the same time if that make sense and are under $200 on Amazon..  A friend of mine loaned me the GR07 for awhile and they are very good but I still like the TF10 a little better.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 47

Quote:
Had a bad run in with a pair of Brainwavz M4s and mp4nation's policy has dissuaded me from purchasing again. At any rate I need a new pair of IEMs and I figured I might as well go with something a bit more high end. I was looking at the Sennheiser IE8s but those are out of my price range and the talk about fakes has me worried too. I'm looking for something that's a bit balanced or maybe V-shaped

TF10s would be great, but you just never know with the fit. I would also recommend the EX600, GR07 and FXT90.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 47
tf10s are really worth the money; and they are the most stylish iems i owned, if compared to ie8 and even the sm3 v1. owned them briefly (2 months approx.) and had no issues at all, so i feel there too much paranoia regarding the wires and fit. (ppl are even willing to reshell them blind, just following the comments of others as if its really necessary- totally dumb move imo that will affect the resale value and not to mention all the hassle and spoiling great looking into hearing aid for the deaf looking things)
get them and save money... so you can quit being a stupid audiophillia (i'm the prime example here- wasted 1000s when all i really require is one iem like the tf10)
when u got top tier like the tf10s, ppl here are picking nits when it comes to sound- trust me- differences between top tiers are only sonic preferences. you wouldn't go wrong wth tf10s as they are one of the popular iems around (just see the no. of positive amazon reviews).

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 47
Yea I don't know why so many people act like the TF10's have such a horrible fit.  Within the first 5 mins of having them I got them to fit just fine with the Comply tips and the wire to me at least is one of the reasons it does fit good because you can rap it around your ears.

As for SQ they are fantastic in every way imo, and work well with all genres especially hip hop and electronic.  If a V-shaped sound signature is what your looking for you really can't go wrong with them and since their still under $200 thats a great deal.  If you don't like them you can resale them and get your money back as they have a really good resale value (at the most you might be out $20 or so).

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 47
Fit wise, they were actually extremely comfortable for me. But the majority of my friends (non audiophile) who tried my TF10s could not get a good fit. Most of them simply didn't like how far out they go and wearing the cable behind the ear. But still, +1 for the TF10 and sell if they don't fit well. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 47
I thought TF10s had build issues with the wires. Anyway, I guess I'll put them on my list. Would buying used really be worth it? I'd rather buy from Amazon or a major retailer in case I run into any problems.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 47
TF10s used to be a $400 IEM. Apart from fit, it is definitely top tier sounding. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 47
As a TF10 owner who just remolded...I can tell you that I really wanted to enjoy the TF10s in it's stock form, but I couldn't despite trying 5 different tips.  But that's me.  I have some friends who's ears they fit just fine.  And mine wasn't an impulse custom molding, I've had my TF10s for almost 2 years.  Kept losing seal, falling out.  I'm only 2 days in on the customs, but they feel great and don't lose seal when I move my head around.  

As for the wire, I had the TF10vi with the straight jack.  Broke twice in 12 months.  They've changed the TF10s to a L jack now though so it should be much better.  The nice thing about the TF10s is the replaceable cable.  If it breaks, at least you're out $30 and not $100+.  I'd still highly recommend TF10s for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back