What are the best headphones to use with Ipods and computers?
Sep 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

herokurdt84

New Head-Fier
I like to listen to a variety of different music (rock, alternative rock, and even some forms of classical music) my price range would have to be 50-120 dollars.

edit:  I like to have the details as a whole in a songs recording.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 9
I'd suggest spending another $10 and trying to find a used or open box version of the SRH-840. I haven't heard the SRH-440, so I guess I can't suggest them. I'm sure they' similar to the 840.

I also liked the Creative Aurvana Live which is around $60 and uses the same drivers as the Denon D1001.

It also depends on if you want something more neutral or just "fun" with perhaps a bit more bass? If you don't like a bass heavy headphone, don't get the M50.
You can do the mod if you're comfortable with that. If you like a lot of detail, the M50 may be disappointing. The soundstage is also poor, but I can still suggest it maybe if you can find it for under $100.

The most neutral headphone I can suggest is the Koss Pro DJ 100. I guess some may not like it, but it's my current favorite. I only suggest it if you have a decent portable amp.
It's almost as detailed as the SRH-840, but costs a lot less and is more comfortable and lighter. I think fans of the SRH-840 might like this one. Wish I knew. It doesn't have as much bass though.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
If you like a lot of detail, the M50 may be disappointing. The soundstage is also poor, but I can still suggest it maybe if you can find it for under $100.

How? These are studio monitor headphones....some people use them for monitoring/mixing. The detail level on them is good. 

In the soundstage point i do agree with you, is not good enough...if the op is planning to use it for gaming/movies. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
How? These are studio monitor headphones....some people use them for monitoring/mixing. The detail level on them is good. 

In the soundstage point i do agree with you, is not good enough...if the op is planning to use it for gaming/movies. 

I agree that the level of detail is good, but not great. I just have never been impressed by it's level of detail and found it lacking a bit. Of course I don't like excessive details, but almost to that point. My preference is maybe a step below the DT-880. I guess what I meant is that they're not quite as detailed as say the AD700, some Grados and DT-880. That's not always a bad thing and my comments are not meant to be negative. It just depends on what he wants.

I always wondered why so many headphones labeled as being for monitoring/mixing have so much bass. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I guess it depends on the type of music. I guess I have this idea in my head that the more neutral the better for this purpose, but I guess i'm wrong.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 9
I'd go with the Sennheiser IE 6 In-Ear Monitors. They are a fantastic pair of headphones, and work really nicely with an iPod. I have tried them with my PC as well, and they certainly didn't dissapoint, even when using them an Onboard Sound Card!

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Hifiman RE0's have great clarity, soundstage and separation, though some people find them too analytical and say they lack bass. I listen mostly to classical and metal with them and love them, though it's all a matter of taste. For 80 bucks they are a steal, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back