What are the best headphones on the market today?
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #31 of 51
I own a few people called the best / TOTL headphones, Meze Empyrean, D8000 Pro HD800S and some STAXs, but you know what, I always come back to Fostex TH-909, not for its soundstage, detail or bass, the TH-909 certainly isn't the "best" but it is more enjoyable when listening.
A lot of people here also come back to something like the HD 600s and stay at that point, Go figure!

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #33 of 51
A lot of people here also come back to something like the HD 600s and stay at that point, Go figure!
I recently got the HD 600s when I saw that they had dropped in price on Amazon. I had them for a whole 24 hours when I decided they weren't for me. As much as I was hoping to love them enough to have them as my secondary set of open backs, I just couldn't justify hanging on to them when I had the Arya SEs. The Monarch Mk IIs will continue to be my secondary anythings, as much as I wanted to keep the 600s. They were promptly returned for a refund.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #34 of 51
Being bright doesn't automatically make HE1000V2 have super resolving qualities to make it above today's TOTL though.
I was quite surprised when they outresolved HD800 with ease. Bright, may be for the first 15-30 minutes, before you adjust to the signature, there is some treble energy, but it's tastefully done without being harsh or offensive.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #35 of 51
Oct 14, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #36 of 51
A few years ago, I bought an LCD-3, LCD-i4, Focal Clear, and Sennheiser HD800S. All are still very good. Back then, I compared the LCD-3 and LCD-4 and didn't think the LCD-4 was significantly better. I also compared the Clear and Utopia and slightly preferred the Clear (Utopia was a touch too bright for my ears).

I haven't shopped the headphone market since then, so I have no idea what's on the market these days. If price isn't a consideration, are there any headphones currently on the market which most people would agree are significantly better than the headphones I have?
I have owned all the headphones you list as owning. All are special in some way. Like some here have said, you may find these are still better that many 'TOTL' headphones. For me "TOTL" or most expensive, definitely does not mean better or even best. Just most expensive. I have listened to, and owned many of the current headphones available. The few key models I have not sampled are: Warwick Acoustics Bravura, Warwick Acoustics Aperio, Abyss Diana TC, T+A Solitaire P, Final D8000/Pro and Stax X9000. I cannot think of anything else significant that I have not sampled. I believe that after you have had the Focal Clear and HD800S, in particular, headphones don't get significantly better. Some newer and more expensive models are just more, different. Not significantly better. With maybe a few exceptions.

Further, I believe that some high end headphones- 1266TC, Audeze CRBN, Stax X9000, ZMF Atrium for example can offer you something different, that nothing else does and that is why you buy them. So if you want that flavor or you gotta have that exact sound, you can only get it with one headphone. Having said all that, I think there are three or four headphones that you may find significantly better in a bunch of categories or different enough in some areas and better in a couple others- Hifiman Susvara, HE1000V2, Hifiman Arya (any) and LCD-5. That is it, if we are talking something that can be called significantly better.

All of the aforementioned Meze and DCA headphones? No. Beauty queens with amazing build quality, but average sound. In my opinion, way over priced and out of thier league, in direct comparison to what you already have. I personally don't like the sound of RAAL headphones or any estats really (save the CRBN), but you might. They are certainly different and maybe special enough for you to pay for that sound.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #37 of 51
I have owned all the headphones you list as owning. All are special in some way. Like some here have said, you may find these are still better that many 'TOTL' headphones. For me "TOTL" or most expensive, definitely does not mean better or even best. Just most expensive. I have listened to, and owned many of the current headphones available. The few key models I have not sampled are: Warwick Acoustics Bravura, Warwick Acoustics Aperio, Abyss Diana TC, T+A Solitaire P, Final D8000/Pro and Stax X9000. I cannot think of anything else significant that I have not sampled. I believe that after you have had the Focal Clear and HD800S, in particular, headphones don't get significantly better. Some newer and more expensive models are just more, different. Not significantly better. With maybe a few exceptions.

Further, I believe that some high end headphones- 1266TC, Audeze CRBN, Stax X9000, ZMF Atrium for example can offer you something different, that nothing else does and that is why you buy them. So if you want that flavor or you gotta have that exact sound, you can only get it with one headphone. Having said all that, I think there are three or four headphones that you may find significantly better in a bunch of categories or different enough in some areas and better in a couple others- Hifiman Susvara, HE1000V2, Hifiman Arya (any) and LCD-5. That is it, if we are talking something that can be called significantly better.

All of the aforementioned Meze and DCA headphones? No. Beauty queens with amazing build quality, but average sound. In my opinion, way over priced and out of there league, in direct comparison to what you already have. I personally don't like the sound of RAAL headphones or any estats really (save the CRBN), but you might. They are certainly different and maybe special enough for you to pay for that sound.
I don't fully understand this. First you say that all the mentioned headphones from HD800S to Susvara don't get better but just different. All of them being on a similar level with none being significantly superior to another(Which is a valid opinion of course)

And then you say that DCA and Meze don't belong there since they're just average. Or in other words significantly inferior to a Focal Clear or HD800S.

From a sound signature standpoint they certainly have something unique you don't get from others. Like that anechoic Chamber like sound from the AMTS.

You also acknowledge headphones that you don't personally like to be competitive with their unique characteristics, the Raal headphones for instance.
So it's not like you generally hate on things not fitting your taste.
Which confuses me even more

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #38 of 51
I don't fully understand this. First you say that all the mentioned headphones from HD800S to Susvara don't get better but just different. All of them being on a similar level with none being significantly superior to another(Which is a valid opinion of course)

And then you say that DCA and Meze don't belong there since they're just average. Or in other words significantly inferior to a Focal Clear or HD800S.

From a sound signature standpoint they certainly have something unique you don't get from others. Like that anechoic Chamber like sound from the AMTS.

You also acknowledge headphones that you don't personally like to be competitive with their unique characteristics, the Raal headphones for instance.
So it's not like you generally hate on things not fitting your taste.
Which confuses me even more
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Maybe regarding the Meze and DCA gear I should have just included them under the same category as "I personally don't like the sound of them". Except that for me, I don't think they offer anything as unique as the RAAL to offset their high price. The Meze stuff in general and $4k plus DCA headphones, just seem very, very low on the sound quality 'bang for the buck' scale. You know what I mean? I truly believe that any of the qualities you are getting with them are had by many other headphones, costing significantly less ( LCD-3, Focal Clear, and Sennheiser HD800S included). Unless you are considering a heavy index on style and build quality. I love the build style and quality of the DCA Stealth so much, I considered buying it, even though I actually prefer the sound of the Noire. Aesthetically, it really appeals to me. So I cannot really blame anyone else for loving it, even if I don't find the sound quality 'special' enough.

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #39 of 51
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Maybe regarding the Meze and DCA gear I should have just included them under the same category as "I personally don't like the sound of them". Except that for me, I don't think they offer anything as unique as the RAAL to offset their high price. The Meze stuff in general and $4k plus DCA headphones, just seem very, very low on the sound quality 'bang for the buck' scale. You know what I mean? I truly believe that any of the qualities you are getting with them are had by many other headphones, costing significantly less ( LCD-3, Focal Clear, and Sennheiser HD800S included). Unless you are considering a heavy index on style and build quality. I love the build style and quality of the DCA Stealth so much, I considered buying it, even though I actually prefer the sound of the Noire. Aesthetically, it really appeals to me. So I cannot really blame anyone else for loving it, even if I don't find the sound quality 'special' enough.
Tastes differ.

The Voce along with the Susvara, Final 8000, LCD-4, HEK v2, along with the HD-600 and the 800 on OTL amps make a fine argument for top 10 of cans I've heard - IMO. HD-600/800 too ascetic IMO on most SS amps.

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #40 of 51
I recently got the HD 600s when I saw that they had dropped in price on Amazon. I had them for a whole 24 hours when I decided they weren't for me. As much as I was hoping to love them enough to have them as my secondary set of open backs, I just couldn't justify hanging on to them when I had the Arya SEs. The Monarch Mk IIs will continue to be my secondary anythings, as much as I wanted to keep the 600s. They were promptly returned for a refund.
You might want to try an older production HD600.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #43 of 51
RAAL-requisite SR1a/SR1b

I'd also put Soltanus Acoustics Euridiche up there, but I'm yet to hear other electrostatic flagships.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #44 of 51
You might want to try an older production HD600.
If he's comparing the hd600 to the Arya and finding he likes the arya more, I don't think an older production model will change his mind. If anything, I'd recommend changing sources by moving to an OTL or good tube amp, or adding the custom cans copper weight, as either of those bring the hd600 closer to the arya. I have a black silk screen, and the changes I mentioned do much more for the hd600 vs. comparing to a new production model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back