What are the best headphones on the market today?
Oct 16, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #46 of 51
If he's comparing the hd600 to the Arya and finding he likes the arya more, I don't think an older production model will change his mind. If anything, I'd recommend changing sources by moving to an OTL or good tube amp, or adding the custom cans copper weight, as either of those bring the hd600 closer to the arya. I have a black silk screen, and the changes I mentioned do much more for the hd600 vs. comparing to a new production model.
At this point I think I've come to terms with the fact that the Senn 5xx/6xx series might not be for me. I had the 58X and 598s right before I switches over to Hifiman's lineup. At the time, I thought they sounded great, but once I heard Hifiman planars, I much preferred listening to anything on those. I ended up giving away my 58X to a friend since, at the time, I was using my Sundara more. I tried the 58X on a variety of entry level gear and I still always preferred the sound of the Sundara.

I tried the 600s with my Schiit Mjolnir 2 and Burson Soloist 3 XP in the short time that I had them. I didn't think they were all that great on either amp. And while I appreciated it's more sweet sound on the Mjolnir with Genalex Gold Lions, I still strongly preferred how the Arya sounded on the same chain. The main reason that I wanted to try out the 600s was because I had an itch for a more intimate sound, but I guess it was truly a short-lived itch. At this time I don't plan to upgrade my amps or DAC, so I'm only sticking with headphones/IEMs that I absolutely adore on my chain.

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #47 of 51
To add to @ThanatosVI list as there's quite a few weird omissions.

I'd remove the Meze Empyrean if we're purely talking sound quality as it's nowhere near the rest of that list for performance and doesn't really belong in that company.

I'd also add a few lower tiered options so you're not looking purely at Summit-Fi.

Focal Utopia 2022
HiFiMan Arya Stealth
HiFiMan HE-1000V2
ZMF Verite Closed
Audeze LCD5
Audeze LCD4
Abyss Diana TC

And on the ultra high end

Warwick Acoustics Bravura
Warwick Acoustics Aperio
Love Aperio……… I would also add Susvara and AB 1266 to the TOTL HP list

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #48 of 51
Love Aperio……… I would also add Susvara and AB 1266 to the TOTL HP list
I’d also now add these as well:

HEDDPhone 2
ZMF Atrium
ZMF Caldera
Modhouse Tungsten

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #50 of 51
The Abyss 1266 Phi TC is crazy good….just ugly and not exactly comfortable, Kennerton Rognir Planar and Thekk are both great, Havent tried the Susvara but the HE1000SE is fantastic. The Meze Elite is very good …. and surprisingly good for poorer recordings (best TOTL for that). Havent tried the newer Utopia but loved the OG with the right amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back