What are the best headphones I can get under $150?
Dec 8, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #46 of 69
I'm glad I helped Yashu? Lol, Tell me your impressions when you get them
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is some truth behind headroom's graphs these are =1193&graphID[]=563]bass monsters.

bass monster != fart cannon

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tribestros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not recommend the HD448 because they need a powerful amp to power them.

I do not find this to be true in the slightest. I use them unamped from my ipod every day. OP, I would not eliminate these from consideration.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #49 of 69
Okay, Well I was thinking anyway about asking one more question. I saw a thread about the Roland RH300's lately.

So.. Sennheiser HD448's, Roland RH300's, or should I stick to my choice of the Shure SRH840's?

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #50 of 69
I got to the store that carried the Shures and I wussed out , not quite. I didn't know they sold AKGs. I reached up right abolve the rack that held the Shure 440s, and I picked up AKG240s.

I am somewhat of a basshead, and I know these are a bit more warm, Totally different than the Shures, but the Shures are totally different than the AKGs. Bang for buck, Shure probably has that, but I thought... well, it will give me something to want a few months from now
biggrin.gif
I love these things. They are warmer than my Denon AD1001s, so I can ge away with a 320k or V0 mp3 here and there, but so far still breaking them in, I plan to take them to work so I can plug them into my other e-mu for my work system. This one at home is temp. but what I have in the office is going to stay because I don't want to leave a bunch of expensive tubed stuff there. Headphones are portable, head-amps or DACs aren't so much
wink.gif

Damn you guys man... I still like the XBs, but these dip pretty low too and certainly color a little bit, but not in a 'bad' way. I actually disliked the Denons, and you may see them for sale. They have so little use, burn-in and a couple flac sessions on my main equipment in the other room. Anyway, listening now to my AKGs that look ever so cool.

I come into a recommendation thread and I leave with a pair of heaphones!

I did get a chance to take an up-close look at the Shure 440s, and if they are any indication about what the 840s are all about then you should love them. I liked the 440s, but I have never seen a pair of AKGs sold in a B&M store before. Enjoy the Shures, you earned 'em for simply wading through all the info and nailing down a good headphone based on the qualities you were looking for. I will also say the 440s were rugged and weighed much more than these AKGs, not to say they weighted a lot, but they were made really well. I doubt you will dislike your set. "The sound you hear whistlin' in you ear, it's gotta little something that you can't resist"

Hope my unboxing of the Shure 440s helps. They really were top shelf cans for the price, so I know the 840s are going to be a good investment in years of good listening. I find it hard to think of a pair of 'phones that are everything the Senn 280s needs to be (interetingly, I see people buy the HD280 pros because they are sennheisers, rather than how they sound or feel) ,but would fail to hold their own as you upgrade associated equipment. Shure 440/840>Senn 280 pros. The XBs are fun, but I admit they aren't nearly as well built as what I saw with the Shures. Good luck!

Welcome to your new obsession, if you get bitten by the headfi bug.
L3000.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #52 of 69
Okay, I'm most likely picking them up tomorow so I wanted to ask a final question~

Is there anything I should know before I go buy the 840's? Any better headphones for my use for the price?

Thanks for everyones help by the way~
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #53 of 69
as long as you have some amplification. it wouldn't hurt anyway and I don't know if the 840s will behave without a headamp of some sort.

Was in another thread that said the 440s and 840s sound basically the same until you reach the hard hitting transient points, where, the 840s, if you have some kind of amping, will take off into their own world.

I noticed that with these AKGs, since the other say, I dug out an old ja5xxx something opamp headphone amp. It is not refined, but that opamp can handle more power draw than most, so the akgs loved it. Big difference. At lower volumes not so much, but getting really dynamic, it began to sound thin on the e-mu. I imagine the 840s being in this league, but don't quote me.

To extrapolate further, if many people feel this way, then the 440s are one really good headphone if you do not have an amp kicking around in your closet. I don't think the 840s take off from the 440s until you really begin to get into some higher end gear, so, the 440s are a syteal at 99 dollars. Like I said, was just minutes away from owning them, heh.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #54 of 69
I can recommend the SRH840s. I can't remember exactly what I liked about them (I only heard them once at RMAF), but I do recall that the bass had quite a bit of punch to it which would be nice when you listen to techno or music that needs it. All I know is that I loved what I heard.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can recommend the SRH840s. I can't remember exactly what I liked about them (I only heard them once at RMAF), but I do recall that the bass had quite a bit of punch to it which would be nice when you listen to techno or music that needs it. All I know is that I loved what I heard.

Oh, I should probably mention they were being driven by a tube amp (can't remember what it was) so they would probably sound different depending on your source/amp.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #56 of 69
Yeah from what I understand the 840s will grow with your associated equipment upgrades. That is a plus where I come from (regular speaker audiophilia), but there are speakers that just take a ton of power to sound their best, but power draw is not an indicator to how well something sounds. Some of the best two channel hifi can be had on sensitive speakers and a little SET amp.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #57 of 69
As long as it sounds good, and has that nice Bass Punch, as well as works out of my iPod, I'm good with it...

Has anyone heard the Ortofon O-One's? Do they compare with the Shure SRH840's? Which would be best for me?

Thats the last question before I make my order on one of those
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #58 of 69
search on Ortofon o-one, you'll find several reviews, all very positive. I bought a pair based on those and I'm happy with them. They look a little too stylish for an old dude like me though. Kind of like all the sneakers you can buy these days. The o-ones are pretty sensitive for full-sized phones, so driving them from unamped shouldn't be a problem.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #59 of 69
So from what you've heard of the SRH840's and the Ortofon O-One's, which would be best for me? I couldnt find many reviews on the later...

Also, could you give me some more detail about your pair or Ortofons?

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #60 of 69
here's a good review of the o-one:
djforums.com - The Worldwide DJ Community » Blog Archive » Ortofon O-One Headphones
I'm pretty new to the high-performance headphone thing, so I can't wax eloquently like others in this community. I agree with the reviewer above that they have a very balanced sound. After some substantial burn-in, the highs are bright and natural, the mids are full, and the bass solid although a bit reserved. They are more balanced than my other good phones (Grado SR80, Beyer DT770). I find them comfortable and more portable than my other phones. I think they are a good bargain for the $129 I paid (turntablelab.com). The shures go for $200. I've seen the Shures cheaper on ebay, but be wary, some phones on Ebay are knock-offs. fakeheadphones.com is a good resource concerning knock-offs.
This reviewer:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/com...7/#post5974052
really likes the srh840, especially with the amp3 player, which I have. They would have been a good choice for me as well, I suspect. They also have a more conventional look, if that matters to you. the ortofons look pretty stylish(??, I don't really know about such things. My daughters would probably like the look, but might be embarrassed if I was seen in public wearing them)

My advice: FWIR the shures would be a conventional, safe choice (remember, I've never heard them, my opinion is based on reading reviews). The ortofons are a more obscure choice, but a quality phone at a good price in my opinion. the company is a big player in stylii for vinyl, esp for DJs. Check their web site:
Ortofon
The DJ world is a complete mystery to me, so I'm uncertain if this is an endorsement!

Good luck, don't agonize too much, and have fun with your research. I bet you'll be happy with either.

dana789

Users who are viewing this thread

Back