What are the best headphones I can get under $150?
Dec 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #31 of 69
A lot of people get confused about which headphones to buy. So they ask a question on the forum, and get a lot of good answers about different headphones because different posters like different kinds of sound. In the end, you are even more confused
biggrin.gif

So, you should either:

1. Listen to them in shop, and check out which one suits you best. If they don't have the model you are looking for, then just listen to what they have, and then find comparable headphones to those online. That's what I usually do.

2. Or buy any of those headphones, and if they don't fit the bill, just sell them on ebay or on the forum here. In the end, you won't have much of a loss, and with the income from the sale, you can purchase a different set for +$20-30.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #32 of 69
For headphones under $150, I like K240 mkII and SRH840. K240 mkII is more musical and SRH840 is more analytical and both of them are more detailed than Grados in that price range.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #33 of 69
Okay, now I'm simply looking at the 840's or the 750's, Shure seems to be getting the best reception here on head-fi with their headphones anyway. I love the look of the AKG K240 MKII too lol
biggrin.gif
. I've listened to the M50's, (They were the only one I could listen to at the store I went to) and I found they lacked the tight bass punch that I love.
L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #34 of 69
Put in in perspective. I have the AKG701 and the Shure SRH840. When I listen to the Shure I don't miss the 701 which says alot about how good the Shure is. If they were the only cans I had I would be satisfied.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiimote007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ON THAT NOTE. The AKG K701 are my dream phones for when I'm able to afford the costs that come with being a true audiophile.
biggrin.gif

When and if you're truly ready for that, why not directly go for the HD800?

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #38 of 69
heh. Denon makes Audiophile phones (I have the AD1001s!), AKG does, Grado does, Sennheiser does (HD555s were killer, I am not sure they are still made?),Beyer, (Shure too) Ultrasone does, everyone does to an extent, like Koss, Sony somewhat, and even JVC has a good set of cans at a really great price point. I almost bought them. Anyway, I am liking what I hear about the Shures too... They might be really good all rounders. I have lurked here a while and have seen people begin with the AKG701, or the Denon AH D1001, and when the Senn HD555 was on sale, more than anything recently. I could say the JVC pair and the Shures are also names kicked around in these kinds of threads. The XB700s are kindof new and a bit weird, so naturally I am going to like them (I am a bit weird).

All seriousness, though, the only reason I praise the XB700s is because I like the warmer sound. I like tubes, and these connected to an E-MU 0202 are so easy to drive, but they sound almost as if I have a tubed section somewhere because of the warmer sound. I prefer the HF to roll off a bit. Unless vinyl is my only source, HF is my enemy. I can ear to 20hkz, and probably beyond, and it's a mess up there with some recordings. Vinyl doesn't have the issue, and non-os tubed dacs are also great. I actually have an extra non-os DAC, but no extra s/pdif out for it. I may order another hagUSB. I love that non oversampling sound, it is very analog as far as that goes. The XB700s were a godsend because I was getting tired of the ear mashing of the v700s, but I liked the drivers. The cups certainly fit most any ear, and it is weird for the ear to be not touching the driver guard. The bass slam is partly due to this air cavity being manipulted. if you press on either side you can feel your ear drumm move in or out, so they make a good seal and I am a long haired dude. Sony got lucky. These were not designed for audiophiles. I have an urge to re-cable them, but sony uses parts that are easy to lose, or forget where they go. I spent along time putting the v700s back together when I took them apart. The swivel joints were trial and error.

If the Shures aren't too much I might order a pair. I have a collection of headphones now, so might as well keep adding to it.

I am pretty sure... you should get the Shures. They are neat phones it seems, unique, perform well, don't have to sell a kidney, and yes, they can get you into "audiophile land" with the right sourcing.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #39 of 69
yashu, no need to tell us your life story here, the OP was just asking for HP recommendations.
tongue.gif

Since the OP takes sound quality serious and also said that he listens to classical sometimes he would not be happy with extra bass headphones, I guess.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #41 of 69
I'm going to go ahead and get the SRH840's as soon as I can, but I'm currently swamped by tests and school work so it may have to wait until the weekend...

And also, Yashu, I have never seen someone on this forum consistantly post such long messages as yourself, lol. But thank you for your recomendations as well, as well as anyone else's who helped me
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #44 of 69
Well, contrary to the crazy packaging the XB700s are not fart cannons. The bass is actually very controlled. It just has the ability to dip low.

Personally, I like the HD555s as a better headphone for most music, but like I said, I am familliar with these drivers, the ones in the XB700s. I used to produce music, and cut two albums, monitoring with those ear-mashers, the v700s. I thought then "I wish these could be had in a better headband/earcup." I thought Circumaural would have sounded great. Anyway, they finally did it.

Since that time a while back, I forgot about those drivers and really got into the senns and the dens. I agree that classical is going to sound stunning on the Shures. I think anyone entering the hobby is going to be floored by almost any 'phone we have listed. Even I am probably going to add a set of Shures to the collection. My HD555s have seen better days, and without re-cabling them, they are on borrowed time. The Shures might just do the trick in satisfying my itch for a slightly new sound signature. This thread was also helpful to me, and even writing out my books here, I get to sort through thoughts and ideas, so it does help to create a post, because it gets me thinking about the hobby and what I want out of it, and what should come first in the next upgrade: Cans, or a better head amp/pre. I "Shure" would love to put that extra DAC to good use. The E-MU is actually slightly muddy, but it is harder to hear uness you a/b against a good DAC/amp combo.

Grand Fidelity makes a new product called the DAC09, which I have also, but they sent it to me with the volume basically broken, so I have to sent it back, but it is a USB tubed dac, with coax and toslink as well, tubed preamp for other sources, tubed processor, and it can output SS, if you wish to bypass the tube. It does not replace the tubed MHDT, but if they fix the volume, it would make a swiss army knife of head-amps/pre/DAC. That is besides the point.

If the Shures sound as good as I am seeing feedback on, I may buy a pair. They look rugged, and I need a good rugged set of all rounders, and I hope that they trounce the v700s, no offense to their driver (which is actually pretrty good), but they are NOT designed to withstand being carried around. Sony made a phone for a market that needs this, and the 'phone can't handle it. I know some people that drop to a lesser pair, like the v600s (not v6s, but the muffled v600s) just so they can have something that doesn't break.

The Shures look nice, but they also appear to be rugged.

EDIT: Amazon.com: Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones (Black): Electronics

I think I am going to buy these. You guys got me thinking. The 840s probably extend a bit to high for my taste as they are a monitor, but for 1 c-note, this looks like really good set of closed headphones. Thanks guys. I honestly didn't think much of Shure before this thread, typically because if I want a cheap, but good cart for my turntable, I just get a Grado. Anyway, I always knew shure made some pro stuff, but never looked much further into it.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, contrary to the crazy packaging the XB700s are not fart cannons. The bass is actually very controlled. It just has the ability to dip low.

If there is some truth behind headroom's graphs these are =1193&graphID[]=563]bass monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back