What are the best headphones for my music ($150 or less)?
May 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

11th Doctor

New Head-Fier
OK, I have been looking for a new set of phones, and I need advice on what I should get based on my price range ($150 or less) and music preference. My last set was the JVC HA-RX700. These are pretty good phones for the price, but they are HUGE and have a sort of "buzz" at really high or low parts.

I listen to many genres of music. Rap and Country are two that I hate, though. Music/Genres That I frequently listen to includes:

- Adele
   - classic bands like Boston, Kansas, Journey
   - Ben Rector
   - Coldplay
   - Keane
   - 30 Seconds to Mars- "kings and queens"
these aren't the only bands, just examples of genres...

A BIG part of my library is made up of movie soundtracks (ie Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman)

I also have the occasional dubstep or song with good bass.

I want a pair of phones that has a rich, balanced, full, acoustic? sound. Many headphones today- like Beats- really kill the quality of these types of music because of the fact they are made for rap/hip-hop music. They need to be On-Ear or Over-Ear, and not rediculously big or bulky (learned that lesson with the JVCs). Comfort is important as well.

My sound quality concern is of the soundtracks, then the listed genres. So, a good sound stage is needed, i guess (I'm new to all the terms).

I will be using them mainly at home, and on long bus rides to soccer games, so noise cancelling is not a requirement, but always good.

Ive heard a lot of good things about Sennheisers. I dont know which ones would suit my music the best though. 
I also tried out the Skullcandy Aviators at the local BestBuy, and they actually sounded pretty good. 

I really dont know a whole lot about headphones, I just know Good ones when I hear them, so I need some expert advice on the matter. So, in summary, they need to be on-ear/over-ear phones with great sound quality that will maximize the sound of the soundtrack music and the listed artists/genres. They need good bass too. Not over the top like bass head phones, just not lacking in it.
Hopefully you're getting the idea of what I'm looking for.  I just need the opinions of those who know more about them than I do, Thanks for any feed back!

May 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to head-fi! The Ultrasone Pro550 suits you well

May 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 16
Welcome to head-fi! The Ultrasone Pro550 suits you well

I'm not sure I agree with you on that suggestion. As a Pro 550 owner, I'd say that most of these genres that were listed don't play to Ultrasone's strengths, which are EDM and hip/hop & rap. Ultrasone happen to do okay with most other genres but for the $150 range, I would say the Shure SRH840 is a better choice for his genres.

May 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with you on that suggestion. As a Pro 550 owner, I'd say that most of these genres that were listed don't play to Ultrasone's strengths, which are EDM and hip/hop & rap. Ultrasone happen to do okay with most other genres but for the $150 range, I would say the Shure SRH840 is a better choice for his genres.

I own the Shure's. They do good with rock in general but the soundstage its not as good as the 550's to my ears, which may affect when you are listening to soundtracks.

May 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 16
The 550's are basshead cans.  You need to get to Ultrsone HiFi 780 or Pro 750 to capture a more balanced sound signature.

Other good/balanced all arounds cans in your price range include the Senn HD 518 (open), KRK KNS 8400, AKG K240 Studio (semi open) and the already mentioned Shure SRH 840.

May 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Yes...but the typical Sennheiser open-back sound signature is laid back and well....kinda lifeless (lacking bass and treble).

I'd say Ultrasone and Sennheiser are great complements but really can't be seen as improvements over the other. I run an HD600 and a PRO550. Neither can really do what the other does well to the same extent. However, both are there when I'm in the mood for a little music, be it electronica or classical.

May 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 16
So i read some reivews on he headphones suggested, and these all sounded good:
Senn hd518
ultrasone hifi780
the akg k240 studio sounded good but what about the acoustic version?

Also, the shure srh 840- i couldnt tell much from the reviews, and what is the difference between the studio and monitering versions?

Also, Ive heard good things about the skullcandy roc nation aviators. Any advice on those?

I'll mainly be listening to these on my iPod, if that makes any difference in how the sound is affected.

May 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 16
my kind advice you should auditioned between many big brand's models on the price range before decided which one more suitable for you. never tried skullcandy but its no big player, by any means

May 31, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 16
if youre only going to use them at home, you can try buying a used/restored/NOS pair of AKG k240m/600ohms + FiiO E9 for your 150usd. They work fantastic with most of your genres except for bassy songs since you might find its bass "lacking"

+1 as well for the Shure SRH 840 although i doubt its build quality, especially the plastic parts on the headband area..

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #12 of 16
$150 is also my price range although I do listen to EDM and hip-hop/rap, mostly dubstep (and to a lesser extent sorta emo alt rock, metal, indie rock and electronica with rich female vocals like The Bird And The Bee).  I just started DJing and I can no longer tolerate crap, flimsy headphones that I can barely hear over the PA.

Your recommendation for the Ultrasone Pro550s sounds appopriate for me (and they look solidly made).  What I want to know is, does anyone have an opinion on Urbanears?  I know they are a fashion headphone but I read reviews of their Plattan model actually being VERY good sound for $60-70 (and come in all cool colors)... now they have a new model called Zinken which are designed for DJs, they are made of material that doesn't absorb sweat or odors, and they look practically indestructable.  They are also $150 (and come in cool colors).... but my question is, do they sound any good??

-Pete

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 16
+1 for Ultrasone 780s / Pro 750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back