What are the best headphones for mixing Electronic Music?
Jul 12, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #61 of 67
Senn hd555, hd6xx, BD 880 and 990, ADG 601s 701s. Some I've owned, some just tried at the local audio shop - I must admit I actually really want to try out Audio Technicas and the Denons as i've heard great things about them bass-wise, the ATs with a similar looking shell.

How? Just like I said the others don't represent bass in the same way the Darths can - for example if you can search out a track called Cyclical by iTAL tEK - the other headphones could barely reproduce the bass in some sections you can hear easily on loudspeakers...

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #62 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn hd555, hd6xx, BD 880 and 990, ADG 601s 701s. Some I've owned, some just tried at the local audio shop - I must admit I actually really want to try out Audio Technicas and the Denons as i've heard great things about them bass-wise, the ATs with a similar looking shell.

How? Just like I said the others don't represent bass in the same way the Darths can - for example if you can search out a track called Cyclical by iTAL tEK - the other headphones could barely reproduce the bass in some sections you can hear easily on loudspeakers...

Have you tried any of the Ultrasone line? I own the Proline 750's (they are now called "Pro 750) and they have great bass response, IMO. With these phones especially, there is a difference in the way they sound after they have been "burned-in". That's a question it would be an excellent idea to ask the sales person at the audio store ("Have these been burned-in?")

Here is a review written by musicmind which might be helpful to you in your decision.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...-hd595-253555/

Good luck!

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by death69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I have narrowed it down to 2 headphones. Everyone seems to like either one of these one way or another.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 and the Ultrasone PRO-750.

Niether of these have worked for me.

I am on the same mission as you - to find a phone you can mix on.
so far senn 600's have worked best but there I hope to find something flatter and more accurate. Still searching.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #65 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by edhamgtr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Niether of these have worked for me.

I am on the same mission as you - to find a phone you can mix on.
so far senn 600's have worked best but there I hope to find something flatter and more accurate. Still searching.

Mixing using headphones is not common in professional recording situations. However, both the Pro 750 and the AKG K701 are considered to be excellent headphones for this purpose. The only factor with the Pro 750 that might be disorienting at first would be it's sound stage which, when heard correctly, does not "display" sounds in the typical right-middle-left of the "normal" headphone. There is a way of coming to understand it's sound stage so that mixing with the Pro 750's actually becomes easier than with typical sound stage headphones.
The Pro 750's are the most accurate headphones I've ever heard when they are compared to the sound of high quality studio monitors. If you have access to a studio with such monitors, I suggest you A/B them for yourself with a pair of flat response (no additional EQ in an acoustically controlled room) high quality monitors and you will see that I am right.
Your comments about the DT 770 and the Pro 750 cause me to be curious about whether or not these headphones were "burned-in" sufficiently. The Pro 750, especially, requires many hours of "burn-in" time to sound to their full potential. Another possibility is that you did not have them on your head and ears correctly. Having them placed on your head incorrectly causes the sound from them to deteriorate. According to Ultrasone, the band has to be directly over the center of the head and the ears must be centered within the cups to hear the sound-stage and the fidelity the way that Ultrasone intends the listener to hear them.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #66 of 67
Check my sig and you will find my studio monitors.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the accuracy of the 750's and have located freq plots that agree with my ears.
I have owned 770's for for ... well... years and years. The 750's I demoed where brought over by a friend who raved about them. In the end after comparing many phones he agreed that the 750s are far from flat and accurate.

Peter - I love your post.
First you make the obvious point that mixing on phones is not common. - no duh.
Second - since I didn't find them to be accurate (and neither do the freq plots) then I "must not he hearing them correctly". Sad comment.
Third - since I didn't like the 750's maybe " I didn't put them on my head correctly" - wow dude - ridiculously insulting.

Just so you know -
My studio monitors are the flattest on the freekin planet.
I work in an acoustically tuned room.
I've been an engineer for ... oh ..... 25 years.

But according to you I don't even know how to to put on headphones correctly.

nice.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #67 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by edhamgtr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check my sig and you will find my studio monitors.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the accuracy of the 750's and have located freq plots that agree with my ears.
I have owned 770's for for ... well... years and years. The 750's I demoed where brought over by a friend who raved about them. In the end after comparing many phones he agreed that the 750s are far from flat and accurate.

Peter - I love your post.
First you make the obvious point that mixing on phones is not common. - no duh.
Second - since I didn't find them to be accurate (and neither do the freq plots) then I "must not he hearing them correctly". Sad comment.
Third - since I didn't like the 750's maybe " I didn't put them on my head correctly" - wow dude - ridiculously insulting.

Just so you know -
My studio monitors are the flattest on the freekin planet.
I work in an acoustically tuned room.
I've been an engineer for ... oh ..... 25 years.

But according to you I don't even know how to to put on headphones correctly.

nice.

I did not mean to insult your intelligence. I apologize if you took offense to any of my comments. Offending you was absolutely not my intention. Specifically, regarding the Pro 750's, many people, according to Ultrasone wear them incorrectly. So, I did not specifically select you (exclusively) for that comment.
Please note that I did not say the Pro 750's are "flat". What I said is that their sound is the most accurate I've ever heard when compared to high quality studio monitors. Our human hearing, according to my understanding, does not hear "flat". If you look at a chart of how the average human hears, you will see on that chart various high and low points. The chart is definitely not flat. So comparing the sound of a pair of headphones to the sound of studio monitors is a much more involved and complex study than you are making it out to be even taking into consideration what the frequency plots indicate. There is much more to the science and study of human hearing, in the sense of perception, than you are making it out to be.
By the way, I have been involved in production, intermittently, in recording studios for over 30 years. One of the reasons my services are engaged is because of my perception of sounds. Also, I want you to know that at least two Sound Engineers I know agree with this subjective assessment of the strong similarity between the sound produced by the Pro 750's and that of studio monitors. Actually, one of them switched from the DT 770's to the AKG K701's and then he switched again to the Pro 750's. The other one switched from the K701's to the Pro 750's because he preferred the sound of the bass on the 750's.
I had no idea that you are an engineer. You didn't say "Sound Engineer" so I am going to assume that you didn't mean a "Train Engineer" or some other type of engineer. (It's a joke so don't get all "steamed up" because you will need that "steam" to run the train.
biggrin.gif
) If I would have known you are a Sound Engineer, I would have addressed this part of the post differently by saying "I'm sure you know that..." As I indicated previously, it was never my intention to insult your intelligence or to insult you in any other way.
I want you to know that I enjoy the sound of the DT 770's. From what I remember, they have a somewhat mellow sound that is slightly on the "bassy" side. Their low end frequencies are slightly more exaggerated than the actuality of the sound from studio monitors, IMO, which makes for a pleasant listening experience but not the most accurate one, IMO.
Your dependency on numbers is highly unusual for a Sound Engineer with 25 years of experience. The best Sound Engineers I've known paid much less attention to the numbers then they did to their own perception of the sound regardless of what the numbers indicated.
I certainly do not intend arguing this small point but one thing for you to take into consideration regarding a headphone / speaker comparison is that if you have a "flat" EQ'd speaker, it takes other than "flat" EQing (in the sense of the sound engineering design of the headphone) to cause a pair of headphones to sound similar to the "flat" EQ'd speaker because of the way the average human hears and because of the proximity of the headphone speaker to the ear, among other reasons. This, btw, was not initially my opinion, although, I do now believe it is correct. This piece of information was given to me originally by a Sound Engineer several months ago when I was testing and comparing headphones.
edhamgtr, even if you continue to completely disagree with everything I've written here, there is no need to become emotionally upset and angry. There are numerous disagreements in these posts and, I'm sure you know that among professionals in the industry there are also numerous disagreements. I may not agree with you but I highly respect your right to have your opinion. In the end, the point I'm attempting to make here is that I won't try to convince you that I'm correct. We can each state our opinions and if they continue to differ, we can simply "agree to disagree". There is absolutely no reason to take on any type of negative tone.
I wish you the very best in all of your endeavors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back