What are the best headphones for home under...
Aug 11, 2005 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ILUVIPODS

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I want some headphones for home use, but dont want to spend to much. I just bought the Etymotic er-6is, and like them. I have the px-200s, and had ex-71s, (didnt like them very much). So now I want headphones for home usage, that of course, sound good. I want them to be comfortable, affordable,(under 100 bucks), and i would prefer not to let out any noise so that everyone can hear my music. I was thinking of these:

-Grado SR-60
-Grado SR-80
-Sennheiser HD-280
-Sennheiser HD-212
-Anything you guys can consider

So...What headphones under 100 bucks would be the best. I was mostly thinking the 280s, or 60s....Thanks
280smile.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
Hey guys. I want some headphones for home use, but dont want to spend to much. I just bought the Etymotic er-6is, and like them. I have the px-200s, and had ex-71s, (didnt like them very much). So now I want headphones for home usage, that of course, sound good. I want them to be comfortable, affordable,(under 100 bucks), and i would prefer not to let out any noise so that everyone can hear my music. I was thinking of these:

-Grado SR-60
-Grado SR-80
-Sennheiser HD-280
-Sennheiser HD-212

So...What headphones under 100 bucks would be the best. I was mostly thinking the 280s, or 60s....Thanks
280smile.gif

I'm sure someone else is already typing this, but the Grados are out for you, because they leak sound like hell. The HD 280's are fine in that price range, and won't leak. AKG 240's leaks somewhat and is similar in price.

You should probably comment on what kind of music you like and whether or not you will use an amp.
cool.gif

Edit: just saw your rock/metal comment.....

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

I want them to be comfortable, affordable,(under 100 bucks), and i would prefer not to let out any noise so that everyone can hear my music.

I would not get grados if comfort and not letting out noise is important

Edit: Oops... gratefulshrink beat me to it

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 20
Grado's are not isolated. I'm not a big fan of the 280 straight out of the ipod, the bass is there it just lacks authority. I think the k26p is a great headphone for unamped sources. For home headphones I suggest you save up a little more and get open ones... and then an amp and source.

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 20
hello,

I think you should also add Sony MDR-D66SL to your list ($99 shipped, audiocubes).

It has a neutral sound (perhaps like HD280?), and has been extremely comfortable for me. They sound really great with instrumentals and vocal music imo, and need no amp.

edit: oops i just noticed your rock/metal preference...stock eggos are out if you don't like lean bass

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Put the prices in, just to help the rest of us!
biggrin.gif

$800ish for the PPX Slam, and $1400 for the PS1s...while they still are being made.

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I'm sure someone else is already typing this, but the Grados are out for you, because they leak sound like hell.

They don't leak sound like hell...unless you blast your music to unsafe levels. No one at work (cubicles) hears my or my friend's Grado, even at higher volume levels.

They do leak sound though, so they're not the choice if someone is going to be sitting right next to you, or if you want 0 leakage.

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
You should stretch your budget just a tad, and get a PPX-SLAM and a pair of PS1s...

Just a tad you say.. just a weee tiny bit you say?

SLAP!

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Sure, he'd get there in a couple months anyway, may as well start out at the best...

I think the brand new HE90 + HEV90 for sale in Australia at $16,000 USD is the best,
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

-Grado SR-60
-Grado SR-80
-Sennheiser HD-280
-Sennheiser HD-212

280smile.gif

a500 comes to mind.
grados, are very comfortable to me, but they leak sound in and out. hd280 has some great isolation, but it achieves this by utilizing a greater clamping force on your noggin (sound isn't very musical to me either - nice bass though!). and as far as i can remember about the 212, i couldn't get over the amount of bass it offered. it drowned out the mids and highs - but that was way long time ago, so i could be horribly mistaken...

a500. <try a search on these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back