What are the advantages of multiple-BA compared to single BA?
Jun 19, 2023 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LewisGarcia

New Head-Fier
I did listen AS16 PRO, which of sensitivity to all, is a fact. 18Ω, a nice data is better than early KZ BAs iem that’s just 14Ω and 15Ω, and has very good sensitivity, pretty good impression of it.

Recently, they launched AS24 , a new multi-BA product with 24 units totally(single 12 units), designed by extreme configurations of acoustic. Multiple superposition is the way to output sound, and sensitivity on the graph will be up when two 30015 work the formant curve, but if the more BAs occupie, the nozzle will be larger. After the space increases, the position of the high-frequency formant will rebound, so it cannot be infinitely superimposed. After this adjustment, KZ treble BA is getting closer, and the midrange also let me hear the magic of 26989 through the driver and tuning, and sense of hearing is completely different from other multi-unit BA at the moment. AS24 is for those who want a full BA sound with really nice layering.

lQDPJxIGn-Q26KrNBS3NCTiwZZYT7UwXf0AEhit2JkDfAA_2360_1325.jpg_720x720q90g.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 13
In general, tuning and implementation trumps driver count.

But, there are some possible physics limitation to a single BA driver IEM when compared to multi driver types, assuming they are implemented well. Exceptions exist of course, but in general, a single BA IEM may have difficulty covering extension of both ends (Sub-bass and higher treble) well, and may also be possibly weaker in technicalities than a multi driver BA.

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 13
In general I agree with the previous responses but I want to point out some additional notes that were not mentioned by them.

To underline what @baskingshark said and make it perfectly clear: more drivers does not mean the IEM will sound better or have better technical performance.

KZ, in particular, has a history of releasing IEMs with an impressive number of drivers for very affordable price but often times, upon closer inspection, it has been found that the sound being produced by the additional drivers has a negligible or inaudible effect on what you're actually listening to meaning that you may pay for extra drivers that aren't doing anything or adding anything to the sound that is reaching your ears.

Just like in the world of cameras, there are some who boast Megapixel numbers as if those were a quantifier of quality, some IEM brands use the number of drivers on their IEMs as a way to try to market their products as somehow being superior or better value than IEMs with lower driver counts and, in my opinion, KZ is one of the brands that does that in the IEM market.

I am almost entirely certain that a well-tuned single BA IEM like Etymotic ER3SR or ER3XR is better tuned and better sounding than the vast majority of KZ's lineup if not all of it.

TLDR; when buying IEMS, look for reviews and frequency response charts, not driver counts.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 13
There are woofer BAs and tweeter BAs etc so by configuring multiple types of BA drivers together you can coagulate the different strengths each type has. The challenge comes from crossing them together to produce a coherent sound, be it at the time domain as well as texture

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 13
There are woofer BAs and tweeter BAs etc so by configuring multiple types of BA drivers together you can coagulate the different strengths each type has. The challenge comes from crossing them together to produce a coherent sound, be it at the time domain as well as texture
Exactly that. Crossover and how you couple them physically in the IEM is the magic sauce.

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
Jul 2, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 13
I did listen AS16 PRO, which of sensitivity to all, is a fact. 18Ω, a nice data is better than early KZ BAs iem that’s just 14Ω and 15Ω, and has very good sensitivity, pretty good impression of it.

Recently, they launched AS24 , a new multi-BA product with 24 units totally(single 12 units), designed by extreme configurations of acoustic. Multiple superposition is the way to output sound, and sensitivity on the graph will be up when two 30015 work the formant curve, but if the more BAs occupie, the nozzle will be larger. After the space increases, the position of the high-frequency formant will rebound, so it cannot be infinitely superimposed. After this adjustment, KZ treble BA is getting closer, and the midrange also let me hear the magic of 26989 through the driver and tuning, and sense of hearing is completely different from other multi-unit BA at the moment. AS24 is for those who want a full BA sound with really nice layering.

lQDPJxIGn-Q26KrNBS3NCTiwZZYT7UwXf0AEhit2JkDfAA_2360_1325.jpg_720x720q90g.jpg
As explained, it is much easier to tune the FR with several drivers and some crossover circuit. And BA driver manufacturers have now massive catalogs with well-defined and consistent properties, making the job even easier. Compared to the knowledge and manufacturing precision necessary for stable acoustic tuning with one driver, I think the multi driver road is an easier choice.

As to quality of sound, well there is no magic formula. For starters, the FR will tend to be the main factor to convince a listener that he likes the sound. So if you know where you want to go with the FR, easier tuning and just more tuning options is an attractive choice again. Of course, if you don't a clear and subjectively effective target, then, who knows how many people will like it?

The issues with multi BA:
-It might seem counterintuitive, but as you mentioned, getting good trebles can be even more of a challenge.

-Crossover. Phase can easily be all over the place.(whether that's noticed is another story). And impedance will also tend to change a lot in a sort of chaotic way, potentially leading to massive differences in frequency response depending on the impedance of your amp. As mentioned above, FR is a big variable for listeners' preference, so this might become a bigger gamble than the manufacturer wished for. I personally remember like 3 IEMs where extra impedance made me like them more, while pretty much all the other ones with big impedance swings felt worse IMO. So it doesn't seem like a generally favorable gamble. And of course you can just get a DAP or amp with a low impedance output and forget about it. A single BA will always behave with a similar tendency, higher impedance amp meaning more treble. How much is very case dependent, but the general direction of the FR change is more treble with higher impedance output at the amp.

-typically lower minimum impedance as a bunch of stuff are put in parallel. If that goes extremely low, it could be an issue for the amp trying to drive it. Again, it's case by case, but the general trend is that lower impedance load (the IEM) means higher distortions and crosstalk for the amplifier section. You can deal with some of that using a balanced output and cable, but then the odds are that the amp's impedance will double, bringing up some concern for the FR changing with impedance.
If you know a lot and have many measurements for your gear and the IEM, you can sort of predict all that and decide when and how to compromise. I personally got fed up, and now I just avoid high impedance DAPs and stupidly low impedance IEMs(check the impedance curve over frequency, do not ever settle with one impedance number given for 1kHz!). Because let's be honest, sensitivity is basically never too low for BA IEMs. Maybe the worst had been the old ER4S because of the extra 75ohm resistors(to boost the treble) and even that was loud enough for me with most sources.

Good thing with multi BA:
When using several drivers for the same frequency range (like several drivers for the bass maybe), you can reduce distortions a little. One way is simply to have each driver actually work at a lower amplitude. Let's say everything works out well, and you get about +3dB from having 2 drivers, you can get the same listening level while each driver is a little quieter. Meaning, you can hope to go 3dB louder before reaching whatever limit exists for that driver where the distortions go well over 1%THD somewhere or whatever other sort of distortion becomes clearly noticeable (you won't see anything else measured, but of course THD isn't everything). Obviously, that's not going to make something go 20dB louder. The benefit is rather small and depending on the specific driver and your listening habits, you might never get into high distortions even with a single driver. But just the same, maybe the multidriver design will let you get the little extra dB you needed/wanted while keeping distortion under control by a hair.

Another possibility is when sticking 2 drivers against each other with one rotated 180°(both nozzles still facing the same way), so that when one blade in the BA goes up, the blade of the other driver goes down. That could help cancel out a portion of the vibrations created by those movements, and also lead to some small reduction in distortions.

I'm now late for a meeting, but I think that's mostly it. I didn't proofread, sorry for the expected mess and high level Angrish.

Jul 2, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #11 of 13
The best IEM I've heard is the Etymotic ER4SR, and it's a single BA. To me, it makes sense to put the transducer as close to the eardrum as possible, rather than introduce additional structures and spaces outside the ear canal with their own acoustics. I bought an IEM with multiple Knowles BAs with sound tubes, and everything sounded veiled and distant. Which made sense to me, because how could passing the sound through relatively lengthy curved tubes not impact the original soundwave? I returned it.

Maybe something to think about here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/etymotic-er-4ps-new-look.152907/post-1808257

Anyway, I wanted to cover the Ety perspective because it's a bit contrarian nowadays, although many may disagree.

Jul 2, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Apologies if I'm wrong, but don't the ER2SR/ER2XR use a DD? I think the ER3 & ER4 are single BA units.

You are correct, I edited my post to reflect this. I thought they were all BA units.

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 13
You can deal with some of that using a balanced output and cable, but then the odds are that the amp's impedance will double, bringing up some concern for the FR changing with impedance.
An excellent post. I only want to point out one thing: when using a balanced drive, the impedance seen by each amplifier will only be half of the load. So, if we have 16 Ohm IEMs, a single-ended amplifier will see a 16 Ohm load. The balanced amplifier will see an 8Ohm for each of its amplifiers (positive and negative signal).

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back