What are some of the most underrated phones?
Sep 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mootookang

100+ Head-Fier
It seems like there's always a lot of threads talking about overrated phones, what are some underrated or forgotten phones that you feel still hold up to today's standards?

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 30
I don't think the HD-555 should be considered underrated. It seems like lately they've been getting a lot of attention on here and pretty positive reviews.

It seems like some of the Koss models other then the Porta Pros and KSC75 don't get enough attention at all. Mostly their higher priced models. I haven't heard one comment about any of them in years. I don't know if they're underrated on here, but I've heard a lot of positive reviews of them on other websites such as Amazon, not that you can trust those reviews.

The most underrated so far I've come across is the UR-55 and Koss Pro DJ 100. Probably four people have heard the DJ 100 that i'm aware of! Maybe they're still hard to find. I thought I must like every Koss headphone, but I guess I don't after all. Don't really like the Porta Pro and absolutely hate the UR-40 that I tried today. So far I only like the KSC75 and the latest two mentioned above. UR-55 isn't perfect, but I think it's good for the price. I prefer it over the Porta Pro due to it's comfort, but some may not.

BTW does anyone know if Koss stuff is actually made in the USA? Not sure about this, but I would guess it's a NO.

Seems there's a lot of really good cheap headphones out there that most people ignore. Maybe the Maxell DHP-II is one of them as well. I may order those soon.

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 30
Coby CV185's actually sound really good for the price (about $10) too. Very fun mids with rock.

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 30
I have an old pair of Aiwa HP-MO46 headphones lying around and they sound pretty good to my ears. I must confess that I am no audiophile so I cannot describe the sound in detail, other than it sounds very light and airy, very little pizzazz but guitars sound nice.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
V-Jays

i think they are stunning for the money but because they arent available in he US, head fi largely ignored them

V-Jays? Seriously?

How do they match up against the P-Ness iem?

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 30
I'm not ashamed to admit: W1000s. With a powerful tube amp, they are difficult to beat.

I have not yet heard a better combination for my tastes. I still have to explore Stax, but as far as dynamics go, I haven't heard a better combo.

Large soundstage, tight bass, full vocals, upfront crisp vocals, and comfort

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
I'm not ashamed to admit: W1000s. With a powerful tube amp, they are difficult to beat.

I have not yet heard a better combination for my tastes. I still have to explore Stax, but as far as dynamics go, I haven't heard a better combo.

Large soundstage, tight bass, full vocals, upfront crisp vocals, and comfort

it just might be. I am very much impressed at the moment by the w1000s, they are much better than i thought they would be (and i was expecting them to be very good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back