What are some HIGH QUALITY cables i should be looking at for analog RCA cables?
Jan 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SayNoToPistons

500+ Head-Fier
I brought some WBT 1010 RCA connectors (original price is over 30 dollars EACH on parts express but i got them cheaper). I am planning on making some really good analog cables but i don't want to spend over 50 dollar dollars on 6 ft of cables (6 ft will be split into two). I'm looking for a cable that can make my warm and rich Technics SA-DA8 receiver/amp so i don't know if silver will make a good synergy. Can someone recommend some cables to me? (I'm not looking for cheapo Canare microphone cables...)

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 17
You can get Cardas cable from DIYcable for $6.50-$10/foot.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 17
^ I'm looking for higher end... I already said i'm not looking for cables like Canares.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I brought some WBT 1010 RCA connectors (original price is over 30 dollars EACH on parts express but i got them cheaper). I am planning on making some really good analog cables but i don't want to spend over 50 dollar dollars on 6 ft of cables (6 ft will be split into two). I'm looking for a cable that can make my warm and rich Technics SA-DA8 receiver/amp so i don't know if silver will make a good synergy. Can someone recommend some cables to me? (I'm not looking for cheapo Canare microphone cables...)

From your wording it's confusing if you're looking for a cable to make your amp warm and rich, or want the opposite. Do you mean "mate with" instead of make?

If so silver is supposed to be very analytical. I'm going to be ordering some from HGA:
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/hga/faq.htm

It's not cheap, but it's supposed to be really good.

Also keep in mind cables are meant to be a final tweak or a "finishing touch". I have not heard a cable making a difference on a lowfi system.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 17
My Technics amp is warm (sounding) so wouldn't it make since to use a "warm and slow" sounding cable to match the amp? Correct me if im wrong.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 17
if your amp is warm and you add a warm sounding cable you might just find that your system is too warm. I would personally go for a more neutral or a slightly brighter cable to help balance things out a bit. A nice pure silver should do nicely. If you are concerned about it being too bright then go with pure copper

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your wording it's confusing if you're looking for a cable to make your amp warm and rich, or want the opposite. Do you mean "mate with" instead of make?

If so silver is supposed to be very analytical. I'm going to be ordering some from HGA:
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/hga/faq.htm

It's not cheap, but it's supposed to be really good.

Also keep in mind cables are meant to be a final tweak or a "finishing touch". I have not heard a cable making a difference on a lowfi system.

It is not going to be "lowfi" set up. More like a mid-fi set up.
I'll take a look at the Homegrownaudio silver braids.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 17
HGA's Specials section has a nice price on 50 feet of 26AWG silver wire in teflon tubing at $45. Pretty nice if you would make a few IC's with it using a Super-8 style described here. Would definitely make some serious IC's
smily_headphones1.gif

That store linked above VT4C also sells silver wire at very good prices, but being in Hong Kong shipping is at least $20 and takes a few weeks.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for cables/wires for DIY.

jenalabs does sell their copper wire for DIY. You have to email them to get a price quote though (they sell all lengths). (I think it's $6/foot <10ft and $5.50/ft for 10ft or more but I could be wrong). It's nice stuff.
600smile.gif

The link to ALO was probably just to show some examples of ICs made w/ the wire.

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HGA's Specials section has a nice price on 50 feet of 26AWG silver wire in teflon tubing at $45. Pretty nice if you would make a few IC's with it using a Super-8 style described here. Would definitely make some serious IC's
smily_headphones1.gif

That store linked above VT4C also sells silver wire at very good prices, but being in Hong Kong shipping is at least $20 and takes a few weeks.

This would give a serious quality IC for sure. You got my vote here hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back