What are my rights here in Ontario canada ?
Oct 19, 2017 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rozeqloud

500+ Head-Fier
Apologiws if this doesnt fit here , i could nt find any other area here

I ve had this amp in question that i paid 5k for , since mid spring 2017

It has popped 2xs already

I sent in for diagnosis

Im told it was a dead short , my dynaudios were id as the likely culprits

The dyns have been thoroughly tested and are working fine , so no dead short

The problem begins with the dealer now who has presented me with a 700.00 repair bill , while telling me he is being completely fair with me , since this cost him parts and labour (Im still very well within my warranty)

He is also the builder co. of this amp

The dealer is willing to absorb that cost , if i trade down to a lesser amp , a 1k dollar loss , and a lesser amp for me

The amp would be way under poweing my speakers btw which can never be a good move

I wanted to go Bryston originally for the no hassle 20 year warranty , as i questioned this mere 2 year warranty on a 5k amp , and was assured he does not hide behind warranties ,and that i would never have an issue

This entire scene smells fishy to me

Originally there was no other amp he could sell me when i 1st called saying ive lost confidence in this product , i asked him to advise me on another comparable amp and suddenly up pops another lesser amp , at a loss to me

I never authorized such a expensive repair , and would have refused it if i would have been given the chance (And i still feel im within my warranty since ive eliminated what i was told was the culprit).

Can this dealer simply hold my property hostage , of which i ve already lost confidence in

Even if i apy the 700.00 I will never trust this wont be a continuing problem

Please advise

Thanks

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm no expert in Canadian law but in the states, you could sue in court if somebody performed repairs on your gear without your permission, especially if they never told you how much it would cost

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 20
tell them you didn’t authorize the repair and you are willing to accept a return on the defective unit for what you paid for it.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 20
Thank you mates

@notsimar

"willing to accept a return on the defective unit for what you paid for it."

Do you mean i ask for my original 5k back? And he can keep the amp

My daughter suggests the same

She said why would anyone be expected to be charged for returning a defective unit ,and be offered a lesser unit at a 1k dollar loss or pay 700.00 to repair it 2xs in a month , maybe 2 months , when i ve only owned it four 4 months

A Bryston , Hegel or classe would never be so defective or give customers this run around

Ive purchased endless products from places such as best buy , to mom and pop PC shops over decades , and never was i asked to take a loss for returning a defective product to them

This mistreatment is new to me , but he tells me this is how it works everywhere

Im now 4 months into a 2 year warranty , and already have lost all confidence

Would i be insane to pay the funds and bring the amp home , and never worry it will re occur ?

Thank you

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 20
Make sure to send a copy of your emails to someone and keep a record of any verbal communication.

How you respond is important. Small claims court could solve this if it got that far, but it may not.

It will be expensive hiring a lawyer, so if you can research on your own what laws apply to authorizing a transaction, you can show he is clearly in the wrong. People can’t perform a service for you that you didn’t authorize and then charge you any amount of sum.

Give him an olive branch however, and say you would however accept paying for the repair for $350 but any future repairs would need to be quoted first. The only reason I’d recommending a compromise is that he then has to weigh his own risk that you may litigate otherwise but also he retains enough of his own pride and rationalization of time and labour. If both parties can be somewhat satisfied that is the best strategy.

I’m not a lawyer and this is merely casual advice.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Im seriously considering the Hegel H360 , but the price difference between it and my returning amp is 2k Canadian dollars

To raise those funds will take more time than im willing to wait , without an amp , without music(Ya i have a TV etc...not the same . Music via tv is horrible) .

It was the DAC in the Hegel (300 and 360) that concerned me , and made me think i had to keep my Sim audio 280D-with mind to be satisfied , as the 280D will resolve to DSD 256

It seems my new infos reveal the H 300 and the 360 have the H 30 DAC and will resolve natively , no downsampling , DSD 128 . (Tho ill need a windows plug in) .

If thats true , DSD 128 satisfies me "fully and completely"(Yes a Hip/Gord reference RIP Gord)

So far is all my infos correct ?

If so i need to ask what could i ask/expect as a Canadian dollar figure for my 280D-with mind . About 1 year old ,obviously remote and all original box etc .

Thank you

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 20
He is also the builder co. of this amp

We've seen this one before. Ask for a full refund. Do not budge. Then have nothing to do with this person or company ever again. If you compromise, the next time it breaks (and it will) he'll blame you again.

He didn't give you an itemized list of parts replaced and their individual costs, did he?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 20
No itemized list . Nope

I asked for a trade for the Hegel 360 and obv. its a few grand more , so im responsible for that bit

Im calling him tomorrow , he has a 360 on hold for me , we just need to iron out details

Thanks mate

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 20
This is embarrassing

I may have prematurely flogged my 280D Dac

I have a RSA dark star amp , always used nice xlrs(moon) to dac from dark star

Now im sitting here red faced , unless the H 360 allows me to use only the dac internal for another device(Dark star) ,im in need of a new DAC?

The answer seems obvious But ill ask ne how

Thanks

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 20
The Hegel seems to have two line-level outputs, one fixed and one variable (ie: using the volume control of the Hegel) so that should work.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 20
Thank you

I was hoping to go balanced , but it seems 360 xlr doesnt support that

Where on that pic would the cables run into ?

How much do you suggest id lose not using my balanced cables?(Shame i spent a fortune on them , but am still saving for a new dac ).

Cheers

Attachments

• H360Back.jpg
    H360Back.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 20
Good day

I now have my H 360 and it blows the other amp (yes i will say name as soon as all my business with dealer is satisfactorily settled) away , straight out of the box the 360 made me smile on the 1st note of Del Rio by St Vincent (Oh and bass response OH MY)

My concern here is as i look at my receipt it shows the H 360 as 3000.00 plus tax = 3400.00

Thats it , on paper it appears i only paid 3400.00 for that amp . Wicked deal eh .

In fact i traded in the old amp , the receipt does not evidence those values , or what i really paid for the H 360

Does this sound kosher to anyone here ?

I would like to put insurance floaters on my gear , and that receipt does not help the insurer much ?

I asked for a more detailed receipt , no reply yet

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 20
I also forgot to add this

The dealer said he was at an audio show a few weeks ago in Toronto , and ran into not 1 , but 2 , in separate incidents , Dynaudio reps who went "Oh yes we ve known our speakers to do that"

In fact as i recall the story , they volunteered that information without any other details

I never got any names tho , and i did alot of research by myself and spoke to a few Dyn repair folks , who had never heard of such a thing . They were not pleased that this was the claim being made

Take away what you may from that

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 20
Sounds like a load of BS to me. I'm sure Dynaudio wouldn't be pleased to hear that a dealer is saying that. Indeed, you don't want to be giving this man your money, but staying far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back