What are my options for a <$500 desktop DAC?
May 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Blasto_Brandino

Has changed names to BattleBrat
I just got my B&K Reference 125,2 amp, so now I have my speakers (B&W Matrix 805's) cables (MIT Terminator 4's) and amp, but now I need a DAC, Paying off a Grace M903 will take a while, and there are a few things in line first. I need something in the meantime, under 500 and it has to have at least RCA outs, balanced XLR outs would be awesome but I'm not picky Anything come to mind? Thank you! Brandon

May 27, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 17
Cambridge audio dac magic, it has balanced XLR outputs and is under $500 , also I don't think you will ever need to upgrade from it anything past this price point is diminishing returns.

May 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 17
Matrix Mini-i 350 bucks

Dual DAC chips of the AD1955 variety. I think these have a better SNR, but by an inaudible amount than the WM8740. Don't quote me on that.
Has a pretty nifty display, not all that useful, but still cool
Nichicon guts
Dual XLR outputs
RCA

Audio Gd NB-12 200 bucks (ON SALE)

Dual Wolfson WM8740 DAC chip layout just like the Cambridge
Dale Vishay guts
Custom 24k gold plated RCA jacks
Neutrik jacks on the others
Dual XLR outputs
RCA

Both are very good. I slightly prefer the Matrix for it's appearance. Both should sound pretty similar but they're built with rather high end electronics and both manufacturers proudly show the internals. The audio Gd has add-on cards that change the tone but I'm not really a fan of that. Both of these Chinese-made DAC's are the epitome of bang for the buck, but thats honestly just my opinion.

May 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 17
The Audio-GD NFB-12 does not have balanced outs.
Peachtree Decco does not have balanced outs.
Nuforce HD and HDP does not have balanced outs.

All of these are good dacs, however. 

The Yu-long D100 is your best bet for balanced XLR outs under $500.  

May 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 17
Whoops I guess it was just the Matrix that had the XLR's

May 27, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 17
not that balanced outs are all that important...  personally, I think the balanced stuff is highly overrated on many phones.

May 28, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 17
Looking at all here, and this is what I think so far;
Peachtree decco I hate the Ipod dock on top.
DAC Magic - I need the RCA's to sound good, the XLR's are going to the B&K 125.2, the RCA's are going to a headphone amp (Lisa III XP W/ LLP prolly)
Matrix Mini I - I like it, - looking into it, new model has a remote?
Yu Long D100 - looking into it
NuForce Icon HDP - No XLR's not a deal breaker, but they would help.

I should mention that I will be using TOSLINK to connect my Sound blaster Audigy 2zs platinum pro to the DAC, so I can also use full on high-fi dacs (Bell canto, Audio Research, etc)

May 29, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 17
I would recommend the Matrix Mini-i.  I've been very impressed with the sound and added the M-Stage with upgraded opamp, making the combination really effective.  But even the Mini-i on its own is excellent vale/performance.

May 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 17
I would suggest to buy used. with that budget you could pick up a PS Audio DLIII, or even a Benchmark DAC1. for me upgrading form the DacMagic to the M2Tech 'Young' was one the best upgrade I made. for the first time I'm truly enjoying my system. the diminishing returns were met the moment I bought the DacMagic; I should've never bought it. your speaker should benefit form a better DAC. 

May 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 17
Lexicon I-onix u22 ($250): Balanced 1/4" TRS L/R monitor outs (easily converted to xlr), 2 XLR (mic) ins which function as two mono channels or one stereo, each channel with independent volume and phantom power. 1/4" instrument in and amped headphone out. No stereo line level out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back