What are high end Grados good at and what are they not good at?
Jun 6, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Shoreman,

I think it was only meant to be a joke- judging by the laughing face he put at the end.

Paul

Thank you! Finally someone that has some common sense to recognise sarcasm. Some people on this site are so uptight about any little thing people say.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #33 of 47
Grado GS1000...............................I'VE NEVER FELT LOVE LIKE THIS BEFORE!

The soundstage is big enough.
Alot of phones like the senHD650 smooth out the sound , dont get me wrong they sound great but the grado highend sound more honest especially when listening to digital, studio based Electronica.The grados have the cleanest midrange.Some people state that the mid is too harsh but this is probably their source equipment.

Bryston bcd1 +
Lehmann blackcube +
Grado GS1000 = musical bliss.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know but even the people that work at Grado dont wear Grados, "truly the worlds finest" indeed
k701smile.gif

grado-11.jpg

Yeah.. I seen more pics, reminds me of a sweat shop. Not saying it is. You would think the prices would be cheaper since they use cheap labor.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.. I seen more pics, reminds me of a sweat shop. Not saying it is. You would think the prices would be cheaper since they use cheap labor.

Why do you assume she is a 'cheap laborer'? She could be a skilled professional for all you know with years of experience.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #37 of 47
I don't know why I am posting here because I have never heard high-end Grados either. I would have to say though David, that besides the R10, the HP1000 is a Holy Grail headphone. If you get a chance to own one, please, do us here all a favor and give us a head-to-head comparison of the R10 vs. the HP1000. Your reviews are so lucid and subtle. One thing is for sure, strictly from an industrial design standpoint, I would rather have a mint HP1000 more than any other headphone.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you weren't at least vaguely entranced by the SR-60, you probably won't fall in love with higher-end Grados.

Well...I disliked SR-60. Preferred SR-80. Was unimpressed by MS-1, though by then I'd gotten used to higher end headphones. And now my 325is are perpetually glued to my head. OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but K601 (which I love, by the way) really only gets heard when I'm playing classical or post-rock. HD25 hasn't been heard in months; I'm lending it to a friend.

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #41 of 47
I have heard a lot of talk about Grados and their supposed lack of soundstage, and I have to wonder about the logic of that statement. I know a lot of it is parroting. However, it got me to do some thinking as to what soundstage is in the context of what is being discussed on this forum:

1. Most popular music ( Rock, Metal, Rap, Reggee etc.) is heavily miked and studio mixed. So any soundstage present in the original recording is obviously not there.

2. The only way "Soundstage" can be naturally presented is with a 2 or 3 mike recording ( or binaural) of live music with little or no mixing. That way you can capture the natural placement width, depth and height and that depends on the room, hall , setting of the recording. One usually finds this with good classical recordings.

3. Some "phones" give an airy presentation of music which equates to a sometimes " unatural" presentation which is usually termed as soundstage (Big Sounstage). This can at times sound very nice especially to the "untrained" ear. But this should not be termed as proper or realistic soundstage. By the way, my ears are always willing students.

If you are striving for reproducing " Real Music in Real Space" then the goal should be representing what was actually recorded. You can try this experiment. Listen to a high end speaker system or a live concert, then close your eyes and then define the soundstage................
o2smile.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that the RS-1 definitely counts as a high end grado. .

I think any headphones that cost over $300, should be considered high end. No matter who makes them. Except for that BOSE. What a joke...

Love my RS-1i's!

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mystiky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think any headphones that cost over $300, should be considered high end. No matter who makes them. Except for that BOSE. What a joke...

Love my RS-1i's!

In the wide range of what's available, this really isn't true though. There's an absolutely massive range of products up there.

It's like art. You can spend a massive amount of money on a painting, but without research, it may not hold its value or be seen favorably in 10-15 years.

That said, you can still enjoy the art you bought for that big chunk of change.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good : treble , bass , sound forward
Bad : comforts , and they looks like a 1970's phone

IMHO, treble and bass are the drawbacks of GS1000, whereas midrange and comfort are plus factors. Treble has not very high resolution (even an inexpensive K701 is better there, IMO) and is sometimes piercing and annoying. Bass is not very deep but enormously bloated at half way and resonates quickly.
The main focus seems to be on midrange which is very smooth and lovely. The soundstage is very wide but remains coherent (unlike K701 here, IMO).
Don't they look like the radio operator's phones of the fifties?
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back