What are high end Grados good at and what are they not good at?
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Detail is good through a good amp, but it just isn't on par with other phones that cost $700, $1000 or more.

More like "zero improvement from the SR225/SR325", that's my biggest complain about the RS1, and the reason why I don't consider it to be worth its price.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a ridiculous statement. You find a photo of one woman wearing earbuds (what would you have her wear in a work environment, by the way?) and you come out with this absurd generalization?

I think the first three words of your pretty meaningless post hit the nail on the head. You really don't know.

This is what I love about Head-Fi. Someone says something slightly negative about a company someone else likes, they come back with a bat with nails in raging fury. FanBoys are awesome.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I love about Head-Fi. Someone says something slightly negative about a company someone else likes, they come back with a bat with nails in raging fury. FanBoys are awesome.

This coming from one of the biggest detractors of Grado on the site. Thanks for being neutral!

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

mbd,

You missed the point. I have no problem with differences of opinion. Quite the contrary. I personally like opposing viewpoints, intelligently expressed, that may cause me to rethink my own opinion. That's what we're all here for (at least theoretically), right?

The individual's comment to which I responded was absurd on its face, and had nothing to do with the OP's question. It was silly and sophomoric. Frankly, I probably shouldn't have even dignified it with a response. But my response was directed to the silliness of the comment, and had absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinion of Grado as a company or its products. Just to set the record straight.

PS. Miss your old avatar...

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This coming from one of the biggest detractors of Grado on the site. Thanks for being neutral!

YEAH! OMG YEAH!

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

*ring ring*

Hello, Pot?

Yeah, this is Kettle.

Yup.

Uh huh.

Yeah, so you're black.

*click*

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*ring ring*

Hello, Pot?

Yeah, this is Kettle.

Yup.

Uh huh.

Yeah, so you're black.

*click*

FLEX

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

FLEX

Are you... coming on to me?

What's going on here?

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 47
If you weren't at least vaguely entranced by the SR-60, you probably won't fall in love with higher-end Grados. They share a family sound (though in recent years the different models have been diverging more, not positively IMHO) and although it's trolling to say there is no difference as you go up the line, the differences are not night and day.

Grados got me into this hobby (SR-125s with the comfy pads), but I've always had a love-hate relationship with them. I probably wouldn't have been so drawn in initially if my first high-end cans were HD600s. On the other hand, because they don't really make a serious attempt at neutrality, Grados are perpetually frustrating too. You start dicking with the pads to try and change the sound signature a little when the non-neutrality starts to bother you. But in some ways they're supremely enjoyable.

I'd still pick up the HF-2s. I probably wouldn't bother with higher end Grados, unless the HF-2s really move you.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #26 of 47
sigh... to be a Grado fanboy again, did I strike a nerve? LOL

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 47
People say that Grados have poor soundstage, maybe so, but that makes them excell with intimate recordings. They're killer in the midrange, so strings and vocals sound great. Listen to something like Oh Atlanta from Alison Krauss' Now That I've Found You collection, i love the impression i get: like i'm in a small smoky dive of a club off a side street alley. And i'm in the front row drinking scotch.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 47
If there's one way to put on a positive spin on a small soundstage it's that they headphones aren't making up something that isn't necessarily there in the recording. If a recording has a large airy sound or is produced in such a way to give that effect it's there and not exagerrated or inserted by the headphone. Note that soundstage and headstage are two different things here.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #29 of 47
My GS1000 have an excellent relationship with cello, contra bass, bass clarinet, timpani… The timbre and impact of those low notes is to die for.
All the way from the start Miles Davis has been one of my favorites on the GS1000.
They also do quiet, gentle classical, like Arvo Pärt extremely well, just make sure to be in a completely silent environment.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a ridiculous statement. You find a photo of one woman wearing earbuds (what would you have her wear in a work environment, by the way?) and you come out with this absurd generalization?

I think the first three words of your pretty meaningless post hit the nail on the head. You really don't know.

Hi Shoreman,

I think it was only meant to be a joke- judging by the laughing face he put at the end.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back