What are groovalizers?
Mar 4, 2004 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
Always been curious so I'm asking. Is it just a name for some good sounding laid back headphones or what?

Mar 4, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 22
it was a term invented by the lini. i guess you'd have to ask him or run a search.

Mar 4, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 22
A neologism courtesy lini. Having owned his present "Groovalizer" favorite, the AKG K240S, I think what he means by the term is a 'phone that draws you into the beat/groove of the music and makes you tap your foot and shake yer booty! A headphone that is not necessarily accurate or neutral, but fun nonetheless.

I think the Grados are very good groovalizers by that definition.

Mar 4, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 22
The groovalizer simply refers to a headphone that is fun - it makes you feel that rhythmic groove and tap your foot and shake your booty! Usually a groovalizer will be less analytical/neutral and more euphonic and enjoyable. The Beyer DT531 was lini's groovalizer but the AKG K240S is now his top can.

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
The groovalizer simply refers to a headphone that is fun - it makes you feel that rhythmic groove and tap your foot and shake your booty! Usually a groovalizer will be less analytical/neutral and more euphonic and enjoyable.

Hmmm...déjà vu, or great minds thinking alike?
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 22
groovalizers are headphones which "groove." I consider most of the "groovy" headphones to be colored crap buckets but thats because most of these phones aren't audiophile (they don't represent the input signal/actual recording and color it). Sony crap V700DJs are "groovalizers," they have a great colored sound but audiophiles tend to detest them. Sorry if I'm being harsh but that's just the way I look at it.

Then again, HD650s are just unbelievably good "groovalizers" with audiophile equipment and recordings (vinyl is even better!).

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 4, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 22
Wow, now that I re-read your post, my post does seem pretty similar! I swear I didn't copy it - it's simply my interpretation of "groovalizer!" I guess great minds think alike - but you got here first.
wink.gif

Geek, I wouldn't call the HD580/600/650 a groovalizer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my HD580 (of all the cans I've heard the HD600/650 is still my favorite), and it certainly does groove. However, it ain't a groovalizer, IMO. It's too detailed, too neutral and too accurate to be a groovalizer. Listen to the DT531, K240S and, to a lesser extent, the A900 and SR225. Those are groovalizers - the difference is clear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 22
As opposed to "groovalizers", what is the term for headphones that make everything sound flat, dull and lifeless - and often in a bad way?

[size=xx-small]HINT: One such example of a headphone that sucks the life out of everything is the notorious Sony MDR-V600.[/size]

Mar 4, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
As opposed to "groovalizers", what is the term for headphones that make everything sound flat, dull and lifeless - and often in a bad way?

Er... crap?
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ReDVsion
Er... crap?
biggrin.gif

I've heard someone say the word "crapalizer" (or is that "crappolizer"?).

Mar 4, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
The groovalizer simply refers to a headphone that is fun - it makes you feel that rhythmic groove and tap your foot and shake your booty! Usually a groovalizer will be less analytical/neutral and more euphonic and enjoyable. The Beyer DT531 was lini's groovalizer but the AKG K240S is now his top can.

Can't wait to shake my booty and groove when i have AKG K240S on my head with Mozart symphony playing....
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 22
Hey whatever does it for you, man! I can shake my booty to Bach's Brandenburg's Concertos if I wear the DT531!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back