WHAT ARE AMAZING CLOSED BACK HIDDEN GEMS UNDER $100??
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 9
WHAT ARE AMAZING CLOSED BACK HIDDEN GEMS UNDER $100?? ON EAR/OVER EAR
You might check out the M40x and the Takstar Pro 82 and see what you think at under $100. If you can stretch just a bit, you can get into the excellent SoundMAGIC HP151, which is well worth the stretch ($129.99 on amazon). Really super.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 9
BUy a used pair of Akg k533 pro.

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Hsr1000 (AKA takstar pro80)

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Not headphones but the apple lightning earpods. For one thing, out of all the earphones I have every worn (old UE's, to Sennheiser ie80 and many more) apple earpods are the most eargonomic and comfortable pair of earphones. This means that you can shove the earpods waaaaayyy up inside your ear canals. To get maximum penetration I flipped the earpods upside down and swapped sides with them. Once done the bass is punchier and the earpods become more energetic though quality is not the greatest but for what it's worth (practically free) I was thoroughly surprised. I probably don't need another earphone at this point :v

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 9
I second the tip to buy used, on either ebay or through Amazon or on here. Just think of them as pre-broken-in :L3000:. I'm kinda new to the hobby so I've recently bought up a bunch of cans to see what I like, then I'll sell the rest.

Right now I've got:
Sennheiser HD 558 (Ebay, paid $25 with a broken cable, took 30min to fix)
AKG K553 (Amazon, Paid $67)

Since I waited for the lowest prices, I might even be able to turn a profit when I sell the extras.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 9
I second the tip to buy used, on either ebay or through Amazon or on here. Just think of them as pre-broken-in :L3000:. I'm kinda new to the hobby so I've recently bought up a bunch of cans to see what I like, then I'll sell the rest.

Right now I've got:
Shure SRH440 (bought back when I had a Bestbuy discount)
Sennheiser HD 558 (Ebay, paid $25 with a broken cable, took 30min to fix)
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 (Ebay, paid $40, not a fake, came with all accessories)
AKG K553 (Amazon, Paid $67)

Since I waited for the lowest prices, I might even be able to turn a profit when I sell the extras.

$67 for k553 and $25 for hd558 is very good price. I need to do some amazon and ebay hunting now.

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 9
$67 for k553 and $25 for hd558 is very good price. I need to do some amazon and ebay hunting now.

The really great deals come when they're not working. People just toss away great cans because of a frayed cable.

Between my last post and now I just ordered some K272HD's on ebay. They have a broken cable and missing earpads but they were only $18! Since I can solder well, I can have working K272's for about $40 after $5 worth of cable and $15 of pads.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 9
NVX SPT100 (aka Brainwavz HM5/aka about 6 other headphones as well)
I prefer an open/semi-open-backed headphone for the soundstage and instrument separation.... for a closed headphone these have some of the best soundstage around and they are insanely comfortable. The only reason I still don't own a set is that my girlfriend loved them so much I gave them to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back