What Apps Do You Use? (OS X)
Jan 10, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palantiri7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, I thought Quicksilver would have become redundant with Leopard's new Spotlight being able to launch apps by typing a few letters. Guess not!

Nah, Quicksilver can do a lot more than launch apps, see.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #48 of 52
I use MS Word in preference to Pages mainly because the integration of Pages with Endnote was not possible until recently. Word, however, has citation manager functions built-in. Also, Pages requires that MS Word documents from Windows users go through an import/export process, which is a hassle where I work. I found text editing to be better in MS Word. Of course, Pages has really caught up, and I have yet to look at Pages '09.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #49 of 52
Hmm, I'm not sure about the import/export thing. I open .doc files in Pages without having to "import" them specially. I get the EndNote thing, though. Until recently, Pages users had to use BibDesk.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #50 of 52
Adium - chat
Dictionary - Japanese dictionary on it is GREAT!!
Growl - notifier
img2icns - converts png files to the ico format, pretty easy
Max - convert audio files that won't play in iTunes, awesome program
Mnemosyne - scheduled flashcard program that I use to memorize vocabulary and kanji
NetNewsWire - RSS; not thrilled with it but it works
Quicksilver - absolutely the BEST app on my computer now. If you don't have it get it!! I use it to launch apps, switch apps quickly, move files, control iTunes, etc.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #51 of 52
Hey, sorry I didn't specify: .docx files, not .docs.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #52 of 52
I used SRSLab iWow iTunes plugin initially to enhance the sound stage, then switched to Hear (Digital Image & Picture Recovery Software, Sound Improvement for iTunes, Stock Research Software, iPod Album Art) later on with improved result. Predecessor of Hear was OSS-3D which was rather problematic until its developer sold it to Joe Soft since then most bugs had been eliminated. A big difference between iWow and Hear is that Hear provides system-wide audio enhancement for Mac OS 10.5.6 and any application whereas iWow is restricted to iTunes application only.

These software manipulate sound output through DSP processing to achieve ideal sound stage and signature (without overloading the CPU), thus considerable effort in tweaking is required (particularly true for Hear as it has a lot more controls than iWow) to avoid artifacts in output. Once tweaking is done, you should be able to sense audio enhancement.

Third option is using Audio Hijack Pro (Rogue Amoeba | Move From Audio Hijack) as host application with combination of any industrial standard VST/RST/AudioUnit plugins to alter sound signature and sound field. There is vast number of such plugins can be located through Internet though many of them are not cheap (they are used in professional recording studios). If you like to experience the warmth of tube amplifier but can not afford one, then this might be a good option as it offer wide variety of virtual equipments without price tags of equivalent physical equipments. That is the beauty of DSP and using computer as music source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by machXtreme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is going to be my first head-fi post :).
I am also running OSX 10.5.6 and in search of good apps.

Let me share my list of apps for my music
happy_face1.gif

VLC
QT PRO
iTunes
-SRS iWOW plug-in

I recommend the SRS iWOW plug-in for itunes. I wouldn't think it is appealing to audiophiles since the SRS iWOW makes the music sound quite artificial in my perspective. However, if you are on the go with your Mac w/ just a headphone, and enjoy bass, its a fun plug-in.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back