What amps are people using with their GS1000s?
Oct 5, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 26
my gs1000's were fantastic driven by a Ray Samuels HR-2. then I sold them to get PS1's while I had the oportunity. The Ps1's were just smokin' with the hr2. then I sold it to get a Raptor while I had the opportunity. now the Raptor / PS1 combo is just blowing my mind, and I am already lining up resources to replace the GS1k's, cause I miss them. I can't wait to hear them with the Raptor. I imagine I'll end up with different tube sets for the dif Grados: so much fun rolling and auditioning tubes!

Head-fi is most assuredly the land of opportunity!

gs1000.gif
k1000smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

just saw there's a used Raptor for sale here at a nice price. someone should snap it up. the Raptor I just got is probably the single best component purchase I've made associated to headphones. it is remarkable engineering, makes me feel young again like when I bought my first Melos and threw Bugleboys in it. but way better. Amps that make you go "wow"!!!

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 26
Slee SOLO (see below).

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 26
I had access to GS1000s for a few days and listened to them through my Headamp GS-1. I really liked the cans except for about the most *extreme* sibilance I've ever heard - and that was a showstopper for me.

That was unexpected since the GS-1 and SA5K is IMO a great combo with the GS-1 taking off much of the SA5K "hotness."

GS1000 comfort was great and in all other ways I liked the cans. Sooo, anyone else consider the sibilance to be a huge problem and then proceed to solve the problem?

If the answer is tubes, please recommend away as I am researching tube amps for a possible purchase in the near future.

Thanks much.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #20 of 26
I think sibilance with the GS1000s is either in the ear of the beholder or with the upstream gear. With my SP Supra and Ack Dack, I don't hear any siblance. However, sacd lover has problems with the treble of these phones using very similar equipment (although not as a dark sounding source).

In contrast, I thought the RS-1s had more of a treble problem that had to be tamed via system synergy than the GS1000s. The latter have the opposite problem. The GS1K have too much bass that must be adjusted via the right tubes.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 26
Cary CAD 300-SEI
Singlepower Supra
Melos Maestro (Mullard PC88 tubes)

I have been using each of the three amps, each performing wonderfully with the GS-1000. I have yet to decide on an official favorite, but I tend to use the Cary most because I have it turned on for my speaker listening anyway. The GS-1000 are my first headphones I'd happily use with any of the amps, and frankly, they are the most amp friendly of anything I own. Plus, everytime I put them on I'm happy with the results.

I have been meaning to do an in-depth comparison, hopefully I'll have to a chance to do it in the next 2 weeks.

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 26
The CORDA OPERA (from all what I've heard).

Jan

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #23 of 26
Melos SHA-1 (I'm sure the Gold would be better) really gives the current it needs.

For more money the Singlepower amps are good as well.

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 26
hi, i thought it sounded very good with the eddie current HD25 and had no serious issues with the zana deux. the bass with a bit too much with the B52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back