What amp to use with Beyerdynamic DT-880?
Sep 13, 2006 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

retro

New Head-Fier
blink.gif
What amp would match these headphones more ? valve or solid ? And what model would that be ?

Sep 13, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 14
Depends on the sound you want. The DT880's are a pretty neutral, dare-i-say "dry" headphone. So a tube amp would give more "tweakability", and potentially provide a lusher sound from them, which i would prefer.

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 14
I had some a while back and really dug them with my m^3. But as has been said, one of the great things about DT880s is their ability to sound pretty dang good out of almost anything.

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 14
They seem to work well with X-Can and Rega Ear so I would recommend testing both valve and ss amps.

Sep 13, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Small home amp: Ear Max Pro - lush, rich, musical

Home/Hybrid: Rudistor RP6-DQ or RP7 Lite - spacious, textured, excellent imaging, fast

Home/Tube: Audiovalve RKV MkII + Eddie Current EC/DC - the best I've heard so far for the DT880-2005 - very rich, big/deep bass, great sound space dimension (width/depth/height), great impact/weight, excellent imaging, delicious musicality

Small portable (A): "M" Hornet - liquid, excellent extension without HF fatigue, deep/solid bass, extremely wide and open soundstage for a portable (beyond the ears) with excellent air and depth. Delicious vocals and smooth musicality, "natural" timbral presentation, with great bass impact that does not impinge on the mids or highs. The "M" mod brings it closer to the SR-71 (not the same), but with more speed and punch - and of course the 3-gain switch, AC adaptor and internal charging (NiMH 9V only - no lithiums). Heavenly with DT880-250, K701 and ES2 (silent & sweet - best choice for ES2).

[EDIT/ADD:] Small portable (B): Portaphile PV2^2-LT1210 Maxxed - perfect if you prefer a more detailed & textured sound, this amp has the most articulated/defined sound of any portable I've heard (best-defined bass & percussion instruments -- with clearest notes), with superb timbral nuance, inner detail, well-defined shape and position of instruments/performers, and also a wide soundstage with great dimension. The Hornet has bigger and slightly deeper bass and lusher mids, but the extra HF extension of this one gives more complex layering instead. If you like guitars, this presents the rich bite and juicy "jangle" of stringed instruments. Internal DIP-switchs for hi/lo gain, Class-A bias, etc.; AC adaptor option, no internal charging; can take the iPower 500mAh Lithium-Polymer 9V rechargeable (requires separate external charger). A dramatic and exciting sound. Dramatic & Textured w/K701, wide & extended with ES2, turns HD650/Equinox into a clean/clear/fast/crisp&detailed phone.

Large portable: Headroom Micro with Desktop Module - big soundstage, well-integrated frequency spectrum, "large" sound, slightly-but-not-overwhelmingly warm character, excellent but not migraine-inducing detail, smooth and musical.

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 14
I use a Woo Audio 3 most often but my '06 Micro w/ DM sounds very good with my '03 DT-880, using the crossfeed adds a nice warmth to them that works great for my tastes. The Micro also works that same magic on my DT-770.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 14
I pair my DT880s with Xin's SM IV, and, with the bass boost and gain enabled, there is really excellent extension acroos the frequency spectrum, readily distinguishable instrument separation left and right and back and forward, and the sounsdtage is huge (but not as much as the K501s). Good pairing for me with classical music and jazz.

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Small home amp: Ear Max Pro - lush, rich, musical

Home/Hybrid: Rudistor RP6-DQ or RP7 Lite - spacious, textured, excellent imaging, fast

Home/Tube: Audiovalve RKV MkII + Eddie Current EC/DC - the best I've heard so far for the DT880-2005 - very rich, big/deep bass, great sound space dimension (width/depth/height), great impact/weight, excellent imaging, delicious musicality

Small portable: "M" Hornet - liquid, excellent extension without HF fatigue, deep/solid bass, extremely wide soundstage for a portable (beyond the ears)

Large portable: Headroom Micro with Desktop Module - big soundstage, well-integrated frequency spectrum, "large" sound, slightly-but-not-overwhelmingly warm character, excellent but not migraine-inducing detail, smooth and musical.

Thanks for the nice info ! and from the looks of it i will go for a valve amp
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 14
I edited my post regarding portable amps. Here it is, to save looking back:

Small portable (A): "M" Hornet - liquid, excellent extension without HF fatigue, deep/solid bass, extremely wide and open soundstage for a portable (beyond the ears) with excellent air and depth. Delicious vocals and smooth musicality, "natural" timbral presentation, with great bass impact that does not impinge on the mids or highs. The "M" mod brings it closer to the SR-71 (not the same), but with more speed and punch - and of course the 3-gain switch, AC adaptor and internal charging (NiMH 9V only - no lithiums). Heavenly with DT880-250, K701 and ES2 (silent & sweet - best choice for ES2).

[EDIT/ADD:] Small portable (B): Portaphile PV2^2-LT1210 Maxxed - perfect if you prefer a more detailed & textured sound, this amp has the most articulated/defined sound of any portable I've heard (best-defined bass & percussion instruments -- with clearest notes), with superb timbral nuance, inner detail, well-defined shape and position of instruments/performers, and also a wide soundstage with great dimension. The Hornet has bigger and slightly deeper bass and lusher mids, but the extra HF extension of this one gives more complex layering instead. If you like guitars, this presents the rich bite and juicy "jangle" of stringed instruments. Internal DIP-switchs for hi/lo gain, Class-A bias, etc.; AC adaptor option, no internal charging; can take the iPower 500mAh Lithium-Polymer 9V rechargeable (requires separate external charger). A dramatic and exciting sound. Dramatic & Textured w/K701, wide & extended with ES2, turns HD650/Equinox into a clean/clear/fast/crisp&detailed phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back