what Amp to pair with Beyerdynamic DT880
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

weekendtoy

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

First post.

I've been enjoying my new DT880's (600ohms)  now for about a month, albeit out my Denon AVR 2907 phono jack.  I'd have to agree with what I've read that the headphones do lean a bit to the brighter side of neutral.  I don't mind that however, my 7.1 speaker system consists of NHT setup (with exception of sub) which many I suppose many would describe similary.

Anyway, partially to add a bit of warmth to the DT's and partly for fun (never used tubes before) I'd like to a get tube amp just for headphone listening.

The source is an Oppo BDP-83.  I'm kind of mid school in that i like to feel, see, and touch the music I listen to.  I like to see the art work.

That said, the DT's will probably see more late night movie watching than music.

My budget is sub $400.  I'm not adverse to buying used.

I've been looking at the Lilttle Red Dot MK III.  Would there be great benefit to moving up to the MK IV?

Any other amps I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 8
I had the DT880s for some time.  They were dry and sterile to me, and the only amp in your price range that added some flavor to them for me was the Woo 3.  

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 8
The LittleDot MK III you mentioned would be the best recommendation. Great company.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 8
The little dot doesn't make the sound 'warmer', unless your denon has a seriously wacky frequency response (which is not a realistic expectation to have of any amp). The little dot is great and they're a great company but if you're looking to change the sound signature of your headphones, look elsewhere.
In fact it's more likely that your AVR makes your beyers sound warmer in the event of the avr's high(er) output impedance.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the replys / suggestions / comments.

I ended up going with the DT880's (gently used pair) and a new Red Dot MK III.

Great choice for a first rig that doesnt break the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back