What amp to go with K701?
Jul 6, 2006 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kg21

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys Ive got enough money now to get an amp for my K701s, and I've searched through head-fi and haven't found enough threads with the info that I'm looking for. My target price is 300-400 but can afford higher, and I don't mind getting one that goes for more than that new but can be bought at that price used. I've seen people say there is good synergy with the RSA SR-71, Woo3, Corda Aria, Gilmore Lite, Millett Hybrid among others, anyone try the total bithead looks interesting because of the usb connection. I would really like feedback from people who have the K701s, but of course people who don't have them but are knowledgable are welcome to chime in. I also made a poll previously about budget amps and although I basically messed it up a lot of people seem to like the M^3 so that's a possibility too. My sources will be the Iaudio X5L(line out) and my computer which has the chaintech av-710 with kernel streaming. My music is FLAC/WAV/CBR+VBR mp3s. Oh and it doesn't have to be portable I will mainly use it at home.

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 16
For me at least, the K701 and the LM6171/6172 op-amp are very good friends. I really like this op-amp just in general, though, but especially with the 701. I haven't heard Jan Meier's amps, but most if not all of them use the LM6171 (w/ BUF634, though, but seems to still work out in this manner). So if I had to pick out of what you listed, I'd probably grab the Corda Aria. I also enjoy the Gilmore Lite with it, but it serves better for me as a complementary sound rather than the soloist.

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 16
its so hard to decide which amp to get. theres a few people that have the gilmore as compared to h5 owners. Right now, the only reason I am leaning towards gilmore is because it looks cleaner =(

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 16
I listened to my first pair fo AKG K701 this last weekend with the Darkvoice 336 and it was absolutely amazing. So much so that I know have to come up with $600 to get a pair of K701's and this amp. You can find more information about it here...

$299 shipped

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182503

Jul 10, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 16
I really like the K701 through SS. Tubes shave off a little bit of detail I'm not willing to sacrifice, and the headphone is already pretty smooth. I find the Aria to be very synergistic with it, even through its bulit-in DAC.

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Bada PH12 with a Sylvania 6SN7W GT as input tube and two Raytheon GT as output tubes - $425 total shipped including paypal but tubes are extra.

G & W T2.6 F with two Sylvania 6DJ8/6922 tubes or Russian 6DJ8 equivalent tubes made before 1990. $355 total for the amp - the tubes can be had for $10 each.

Here is the inter-gallatic Bada:

bada-PH12-1.jpg

Jul 11, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Singlepower MPX3 or PPX3 using the appropriate output tubes (6BL7GT/A, 6BX7GT, 5687, etc..).

Jul 11, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21
Hey guys Ive got enough money now to get an amp for my K701s, and I've searched through head-fi and haven't found enough threads with the info that I'm looking for. My target price is 300-400 but can afford higher, and I don't mind getting one that goes for more than that new but can be bought at that price used. I've seen people say there is good synergy with the RSA SR-71, Woo3, Corda Aria, Gilmore Lite, Millett Hybrid among others, anyone try the total bithead looks interesting because of the usb connection. I would really like feedback from people who have the K701s, but of course people who don't have them but are knowledgable are welcome to chime in. I also made a poll previously about budget amps and although I basically messed it up a lot of people seem to like the M^3 so that's a possibility too. My sources will be the Iaudio X5L(line out) and my computer which has the chaintech av-710 with kernel streaming. My music is FLAC/WAV/CBR+VBR mp3s. Oh and it doesn't have to be portable I will mainly use it at home.

I find the K701 has a great synergy mating with my Earmax (that was modded to compliment the PS-1's I had back in the day), although others that also have this amp may be able to chime in too..

I agree with what some people say regarding SS amps, and the upper registers being rolled off, and would rec a SS usually, but the tubes really make the sounds organic, and rich in texture compared to the SS amps...
HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back