What amp should I build? Help me choose my next DIY project
Oct 9, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #18 of 51
tube amp in tin? very funny!
biggrin.gif

this amp could be named :[size=medium]T[/size]ube '[size=medium]N[/size] [size=medium]T[/size]in

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #20 of 51
wow, it's not in tin after all? could you give some more detail about it? where did you find the pic?

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
wow, it's not in tin after all? could you give some more detail about it? where did you find the pic?

Hi diablo9,
Its mine i didn't need it portable. Used an Alps Blue pot, AD823, JJ Tesla 6922 + Panny FC caps by-passed with Wima polyprops. Originally powered by a 12V wall-wart, since changed to a SMPS which improved it. In the pic i'd mounted a tri-colour LED under the tube, but disconnected it 'cos i could hear it,

HTH
evo_lution

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #23 of 51
Well the poll is now closed. The winning recommendation is to go all the way and build an M3. Before I do that however, I think I will try building the little Pimeta. Not only it will be easier and much quicker, also I really liked the idea of adding a little portable amp to my rigs. Later on with all my tools at hand I will tackle the larger projects.

Thanks very much to all for all the suggestions and feedback!!!

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #24 of 51
Well, I think you made a good choice (ok, choices
smily_headphones1.gif
) - I'm listening to an M³ that I built today and it sounds pretty darn good. Total construciton time was around 3 hours and the board is a joy to work on, plenty of space and such a clean layout. Anyway, enough gushing. Best of luck and be sure to post up some pics when you get the PIMETA done.

Nate

Oct 10, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Well, I think you made a good choice (ok, choices
smily_headphones1.gif
) - I'm listening to an M³ that I built today and it sounds pretty darn good. Total construciton time was around 3 hours and the board is a joy to work on, plenty of space and such a clean layout.

Wow just 3 hours! That's quite fast. I guess you meant populating the board, not including PSU. Even in that case for me that's quite fast. Anyway, I decided to postpone the M3 idea also after reading a bit the M3 build discussion thread. Some people seem to come across difficulties similar to what I found when building the Dynahi, at least with the DC offset.

For now I'll just build and enjoy a portable Pimeta. Later on, even right after getting my hands on my Dynahi and tools I will finish up my Dynahi psu and board in separate cases (or will replace the Condors with a high quality DIY non-hum inducing PSU). Plus I want to move the Elma attenuator to the back of the amp, shortening the signal path inside the amp. So I'll have quite a bit of DIY to finish up before tackling a new large project.

Quote:

Anyway, enough gushing. Best of luck and be sure to post up some pics when you get the PIMETA done.

Thanks, and certainly I will post pics. That will happen only probably in 2-3 weeks after I get all the parts and can start assembling.

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Anyway, I decided to postpone the M3 idea also after reading a bit the M3 build discussion thread. Some people seem to come across difficulties similar to what I found when building the Dynahi, at least with the DC offset.

Well, usually if something can go wrong with a build I'll find it and I've now built [2] M³'s with no issues. Neither one puts out more than a milivolt of DC offset with the 8610s and they both sound very good.

Quote:

For now I'll just build and enjoy a portable Pimeta.

My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised with just how good even a mid-level PIMETA sounds. My office rig is a class A biased, single buffer PIMETA. I've built a couple of configurations and found that this was the best bang for the buck. Here's a picture to get you motivated
smily_headphones1.gif

medium.jpg

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #28 of 51
Nate about the M3 I didn't mean the circuit design itself would have any problem at all. Just meant for a newbie the adjustments and debugging could be potentially difficult, that's what I derived from some of the posts in that forum. Maybe it's just the wrong impression I'm deriving anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Here's a picture to get you motivated
smily_headphones1.gif
medium.jpg

Can't see the image there on your post, but went to your page and saw it there:
http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/46013031/

Nice box, is that a cigar box? Good idea for an enclosure. Also, what is that in the back and left corner inside the box, a linear regulator? (Guessing you are powering this Pimeta with a walwart+the regulator)

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Just meant for a newbie the adjustments and debugging could be potentially difficult, that's what I derived from some of the posts in that forum. Maybe it's just the wrong impression I'm deriving anyway.

Not that I'm trying to convince you not to build the PIMETA, heck I voted for the portable amp option. But the M³ wont be a problem if you can build a PIMETA. A few more parts and sure a few adjustments to make but all in all its a pretty easy build.

Quote:

Can't see the image there on your post

Hmm, shows up for me. But you got there eventually anyway...

Quote:

Nice box, is that a cigar box? Good idea for an enclosure. Also, what is that in the back and left corner inside the box, a linear regulator? (Guessing you are powering this Pimeta with a walwart+the regulator)

Yup, a box I brought back from the Domincan at some point. The thing in the back left is a TREAD, which is a stripped version of Tangent's STEPS. Turns any crap wall wart into a nicely regulated power supply and is cheap as all heck.

Building the PIMETA first is a good plan, just don't shy away from the M³ if you really want to build it. If you built a Dynahi I can't see there being any way you will have trouble.

Nate

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 51
The M³ would make a nice smaller amp (compared to your Dynahi), is much easier to build than the Dynahi, is very well documented at AMBs site, and has very good sound quality. You can also roll opamps, if you like, to play with the sonic signature once its done.

DigiPete
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back