What AMP (no DAC built in) for AKG K702 + DT880 ?
Nov 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gotomsdos

New Head-Fier
Hi, buddies !
I need an AMP for both DT880 (250 ohms) and AKG K702 (62 ohms), source is SONY D50. I read that DT880 needs more voltage whereas K702 needs more current. Is it very hard to get just a single amp to feed both of them (to reach a good level of performace of these two headphones)?
And more, I'm going to buy a GMP 450 PRO (300 ohms). Also I'll use the same amp to play it.

1,My preferences of tone are :
I need an amp to give just as real sound as source gives, as least the adjustments and coloration of sound made by amp as possible. Just wanna  listen what the source is itself.
2,Size:
Best if it's a medium size (or portable, if the same quality and function as medium size), can be put into a backpack for travelling.
3,Budget:
under $1000 or so.

Any input would be appreciated !

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

I can recommend either the Violectric V100 or V200. Both aren't giant amps and are on the smaller side. They can also drive both headphones you listed with absolute ease. The sonic tone of the amps are somewhat warm with smoother treble and a slight emphasis on bass. These characteristics won't color the sound that much at all, but are noticeable.

Quote:
Hi, buddies !
I need an AMP for both DT880 (250 ohms) and AKG K702 (62 ohms), source is SONY D50. I read that DT880 needs more voltage whereas K702 needs more current. Is it very hard to get just a single amp to feed both of them (to reach a good level of performace of these two headphones)?
And more, I'm going to buy a GMP 450 PRO (300 ohms). Also I'll use the same amp to play it.

I need an amp to give just as real sound as source gives, as least the adjustments and coloration of sound made by amp as possible. Just wanna  listen what the source is itself.
2,Size:
Best if it's a medium size (or portable, if the same quality and function as medium size), can be put into a backpack for travelling.
3,Budget:
under $1000 or so.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hi, buddies !

2,Size:
3,Budget:
under $1000 or so.

No, it isn't hard to get an amp which drives both. It's Beyerdynamics' 600-Ohm headphones which are known to be harder to drive (as is your K702.) You simply avoid the flavors of the month and popularity-contest winners. 

"Good level of performance": The Objective2 (O2) will give you all that your current headphones can deliver. (I don't know the GMP 450 Pro, but 300 Ohms isn't a problem all by itself.)

"Real sound": The O2 is measurably neutral.

"Size": The O2 is small (108 x 80 29mm).

Budget: The O2 is US$144.

The O2 doesn't have the caché of some amps widely recommended here, but it will perform with the best of them and outperform all of the popular but mediocre designs.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hi,

I can recommend either the Violectric V100 or V200. Both aren't giant amps and are on the smaller side. They can also drive both headphones you listed with absolute ease. The sonic tone of the amps are somewhat warm with smoother treble and a slight emphasis on bass. These characteristics won't color the sound that much at all, but are noticeable.

Thanx ! But said that Violectric V100 or V200 is somewhat warm. I prefer neutral, no adjustments of source sound.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

No, it isn't hard to get an amp which drives both. It's Beyerdynamics' 600-Ohm headphones which are known to be harder to drive (as is your K702.) You simply avoid the flavors of the month and popularity-contest winners. 

"Good level of performance": The Objective2 (O2) will give you all that your current headphones can deliver. (I don't know the GMP 450 Pro, but 300 Ohms isn't a problem all by itself.)

"Real sound": The O2 is measurably neutral.

"Size": The O2 is small (108 x 80 29mm).

Budget: The O2 is US$144.

The O2 doesn't have the caché of some amps widely recommended here, but it will perform with the best of them and outperform all of the popular but mediocre designs.

Thanx !  But Doesn't US$144 seem to be a low class quality ? I know nothing of it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanx !  But Doesn't US$144 seem to be a low class quality ? I know nothing of it.

It's a well respected headphone amplifier, powers all my headphones just fine, even my 600-Ohm headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570299/objective2-mini-review-and-discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back