What amp is the "King Of The Bass" for HD 600?
Sep 22, 2002 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All

Using HD 600, what would be the best amp with good hi's but TREMENDOUS lows?

Best

Ari

Sep 22, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 48
Or the Max if you don't have a balanced source
smily_headphones1.gif

(I've also heard from others here, but haven't heard myself, that the RKV also has good bass with the HD 600.)

Sep 23, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 48
Next to the Blockhead comes the Max and then the RKV.I think the bass from the solid-state amps sounds a bit different from the RKV but they all sound great with nice tight bass.

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 48
Or for an alternative view on Blockhead bass, Kevin Gilmore says in comparing his Class A Dynamic headphone amp design to the Blockhead:

"I listened to the balanced HeadRoom Max at The Home Electronics Show. The low frequency bass slam is absent from the unit. When I listened to the BlockHead ($3333) and compared it to my unbalanced/balanced amp, the same thing happened. Without the kaboom, it's just not as much fun to listen to. " (And Gilmore thinks his design is better in this respect)

Also consider a headphone amp in conjunction with or which incorporates the Meier Psychoacoustic Bass Enhancer.

People also say good things about the bass of the Earmax Pro in conjunction with the HD600.

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 48
Moretto/Radii HAP-03 is a contender here. Melos SHA-1 has a strong bottom end. ZOTL is weak there, but Ken-Rad VT-231's close the gap considerably (and are almost impossible to find).

Sep 23, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 48
I just have to cast my vote for the EarMax Pro. This is the finest bottom-end I've heard with the HD 600s...but as always, it just comes down to personal taste!

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 48
Dusty Chalk and I did a Bass Off between the Earmax Pro and the HAP-03 last weekend. Our conclusion was that the Earmax was best with lower impedance headphones, while the HAP-03 took the higher impedance bracket. These amps are similar enough that we were able to match the tube complements fairly closely in order to make the comparison. The HAP-03 may be my favorite amp with the HD-600 altogether, and I've got some pretty strong competition for it.

Sep 23, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 48
This make me think about a new wish list...
biggrin.gif
The order will be "can afford" list:
frown.gif

0) Hirsch's Ken-Rad VT-231's tubes for my ZOLT (help!!!)

1) Hirsch's HAP-3 and

2) RickG's and shivohum's EarMax Pro since Kevin's and Jan's projects are difficult to me in terms of getting components here( but thank you very much for your helpful research)

3) Tuberoller's RKV

4) MacDEF's and DVR's MAX

5) KR's Headroom Blockhead

Thanks guys for your time and opinions !!

Best from

Ari

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not closing out !! Standby over !! Any more opinions?

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
This make me think about a new wish list...
biggrin.gif
The order will be "can afford" list:
frown.gif

0) Hirsch's Ken-Rad VT-231's tubes for my ZOLT (help!!!)

1) Hirsch's HAP-3 and

2) RickG's and shivohum's EarMax Pro since Kevin's and Jan's projects are difficult to me in terms of getting components here( but thank you very much for your helpful research)

3) Tuberoller's RKV

4) MacDEF's and DVR's MAX

5) KR's Headroom Blockhead

Thanks guys for your time and opinions !!

Best from

Ari

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not closing out !! Standby over !! Any more opinions?

I don't own an RKV,I borrowed one.I have a Max and a few other amps.The Max is my personal favorite for bass(since I don't have a balanced source anymore and have no use for a Blockhead).I have to add that the bass performance I have obtained with the Max is in conjunction with the HD600 and Equinox.It makes great bass with some other phones but sounds best with that combo.

BTW,What tubes and how many of them does the ZOTL use?

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 48
BTW,What tubes and how many of them does the ZOTL use?

Hey Tuberoller !!

Came w/ JAN 12AT7WC (Phillips) and 6SN7GT (Sovtec), two of each.

Best
Ari

Users who are viewing this thread

Back