what amp for Magnepan MMG speakers?
May 10, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #46 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by xing3ds
Unfortunately, I never heard if an 'Acoustics consultant' exist in my place (Indonesia).

Hmmm... good ones can be difficult to find out here in the US, too, if you don't know where to look. Your best bet, short of reading texts of the subject (no amount of internet reading will adequately prepare you to give sound advice on the subject... well, except maybe for abating bass freq. buildups...)... will be to find some professional help.

Depending on your gf's dad's budget, you may want to contact Rives Audio and have them do some remote consulting with him. They can work with him over the phone/e-mail to give him some good advice and layout recommendations. I've never worked with Rives Audio, but they are well known enough and provide an expansive breadth of services (down to the low-budget level) that I'd recommend at least looking into them. Their "Level 1+" service is a budget offering for those doing a new construction, as in your situation and is a PHENOMENALLY reasonable deal for the level of knowledge they provide.

More than equipment, the room will be the biggest factor (and most often, the forgotten factor) in acoustic sound quality. Your gf's dad is fortunate to have someone point that out to him before he starts -- meaning he's got the chance to get it right before it's too late and he's left wrestling with built-in problems and kludging acoustic issues with treatments (even more money thrown at a potentially poor design).

Quote:

Originally Posted by xing3ds
Thanks a lot spektrograf

No prob!
580smile.gif

I think this thread has overstayed Head-fi/Amplification's topic welcome (despite the grand patience by everyone here).
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
xing3ds, how 'bout you either PM me if want more info or move this to the Member's Lounge for further discussion? If you want more reading on acoustics, PM me and I can recommend you some books (both layman and academic texts).

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #47 of 47
Bringing an old thread back to life. 

Ive been debating over a mmg 3 speaker setup or a Martin logan cls set.
im relatively new to speaker setups so I need some advise on an excellent amp/receiver to pair with them. 
Also some good recommendations for cables and a woofer would be appreciated. 

Reciever budget is $900 
subwoofer is $600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back